Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats

Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

Davion Bradford
3%
Luke Kasubke
5%
Seryee Lewis
3%
Carlton Linguard
3%
Kaosi Ezeagu
8%
Nijel Pack
49%
Selton Miguel
8%
Rueadale Williams
22%

Total votes: 37

Hypeman

Re: Which new player will have the biggest impact, next season?

Post by Hypeman » May 16th, 2020, 10:16 am

My first reaction when I looked at that list “who the hell are these guys?” I guess that’s what happens when you finish last.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 16th, 2020, 10:58 am

Hypeman wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 10:16 am
My first reaction when I looked at that list “who the hell are these guys?” I guess that’s what happens when you finish last.
they're all newcomers which had nothing to do with last year's dismal season, albeit you seemed to have had a need to make that point once more. :roll:

Kaosi Ezeagu was my pick for reasons already made above by AJ.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » May 16th, 2020, 11:06 am

Lots of interesting viewpoints in this thread, and a lot of good analysis as PDave has pointed out.

If I had to pick a specific player, I would go with Nigel, but in reality I go with a position, point guard, and even that may be a generic term with this group. Most of Weber's best teams relied on multiple players with point guard skills in a collaborative effort.

Even when you look at Weber's 2005 Illini squad with Deron Williams as the point guard, don't forget that Dee Brown was a point guard as well and Luther Head was a combo guard, even during his NBA career. Deron went on to a stellar career in the NBA and the Olympics while Luther was an NBA journeyman and Dee Brown only played briefly in the NBA before going to Europe, but Deron was a third-team All-American in 2005 while Dee and Luther were second-team All-Americans.

With a lot less talent, Weber's 2009 team had three point guards in Demetri McCamey, Trent Meacham, and Chet Frazier. That team tied for second in the Big Ten before team MVP Chet unfortunately broke his hand right before the Big Ten tourney. More recently, the KSU pair of Kam and Barry really shared a lot of the point guard duties, and that was augmented by Dean Wade's point forward abilities.

I am hoping for a jump in point guard play for this squad with Nijel (scoring efficiency and all-around skills) and Rudi splitting time along with (drum roll) Selton who also brings some point guard skills to the mix. Even with that I would consider a 7th place finish a major success, particularly if we see a bright future developing. Not to be a wet blanket, but I also predict that this will very likely be an "abnormal" college basketball season at best, so who knows what will happen.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 16th, 2020, 12:32 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 11:06 am
Lots of interesting viewpoints in this thread, and a lot of good analysis as PDave has pointed out.

If I had to pick a specific player, I would go with Nigel, but in reality I go with a position, point guard, and even that may be a generic term with this group. Most of Weber's best teams relied on multiple players with point guard skills in a collaborative effort.

Even when you look at Weber's 2005 Illini squad with Deron Williams as the point guard, don't forget that Dee Brown was a point guard as well and Luther Head was a combo guard, even during his NBA career. Deron went on to a stellar career in the NBA and the Olympics while Luther was an NBA journeyman and Dee Brown only played briefly in the NBA before going to Europe, but Deron was a third-team All-American in 2005 while Dee and Luther were second-team All-Americans.

With a lot less talent, Weber's 2009 team had three point guards in Demetri McCamey, Trent Meacham, and Chet Frazier. That team tied for second in the Big Ten before team MVP Chet unfortunately broke his hand right before the Big Ten tourney. More recently, the KSU pair of Kam and Barry really shared a lot of the point guard duties, and that was augmented by Dean Wade's point forward abilities.

I am hoping for a jump in point guard play for this squad with Nijel (scoring efficiency and all-around skills) and Rudi splitting time along with (drum roll) Selton who also brings some point guard skills to the mix. Even with that I would consider a 7th place finish a major success, particularly if we see a bright future developing. Not to be a wet blanket, but I also predict that this will very likely be an "abnormal" college basketball season at best, so who knows what will happen.
Seventh place would set us up for a very good next few years. I expect a shortened season, so the time to develop a team with higher aspirations would be difficult. We would likely miss the NCAA Tournament with a 7th place finish, but motivation would be strong to improve on that. After next season, we will have the talent in place to finish in the upper division of the conference for the next three years. And if things go better than expected, maybe another Dean Wade/Barry Brown type run for a championship.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

learnin wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 11:53 pm
Give me four or five double digit scorers and I see a certain amount of success. I don't believe that's an unreasonable expectation when you don't have two guys taking most of the shots. It seems as if Pack, Kasubke, Miguel, McGuirl all can shoot well. There's no reason why D. Gordon can't put 4 more points up on the board. The key, in my book, is always: Defend well. Shoot 40% plus from the field and 75% from the free throw line. Do this and they can surprise.
leanin, you make an excellent point. Half of the field goal attempts from last year's team were made by TWO players. And without looking up the stats, I believe that percentage was in the high 30's. That's not going to win very many games. Also, defenses can key on two players better than three or four. We had two role players from past teams trying to be alpha players. We would have been better off, in my opinion, to spread the ball around more. Those two "leaders" forced a lot of shots last season.

I'm not a big Bill Self fan, but one thing that he stresses in his coaching is shot selection. Yes, there are times in games, even for KU, where that can disappear for awhile, but much of their success is built on taking good shots, and having good shooters.

I think we'll have much better shooters next year. I know we say that every year, but I really think it's true this time. If we spread out the scoring among four guys, with one rim protector, we could be pretty good and put pressure on defenses that was previously not seen. Just a few observations on my part, and agreeing with your assessment.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 16th, 2020, 1:17 pm

I hope shot selection is not a problem this year. With so many new guys who were stars and primary scorers in high school it may be tempting to shoot the rock after so many touches. With a lot to learn in a short time patience will need to be the order of the day. I think we will be OK in this area as all of the guys seemed to share it well in HS. Offensive efficiency will be a key to success. I agree whole heartedly with having multiple scoring threats this year. Being able to keep defenses honest and hit shots should help a lot. Good ball movement to find the open guy could make us pretty good.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 16th, 2020, 5:56 pm

tmcats wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 10:58 am
Hypeman wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 10:16 am
they're all newcomers which had nothing to do with last year's dismal season, albeit you seemed to have had a need to make that point once more. :roll:

Kaosi Ezeagu was my pick for reasons already made above by AJ.
Sure they have something to do with last season, we cleaned house and they’re the replacements.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » May 18th, 2020, 8:51 am

I found this on YouTube from KSO and thought you all might be interested since it is on a related topic. They discuss not only next year, but also who might end up having the best career at K-State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdb5I91dUA
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » May 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I'd let this young athletic team run more if I was Weber. Let these kids get in transition and attack the rim. Half court offense will probably be a struggle especially early in the season.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » May 18th, 2020, 6:52 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 8:51 am
I found this on YouTube from KSO and thought you all might be interested since it is on a related topic. They discuss not only next year, but also who might end up having the best career at K-State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdb5I91dUA
I watched the video. Seems there's the most love for Selton and Nigel. But here's what I don't understand. Why is it a foregone conclusion that D.Gordon is going to be a starter? He's likely going to have to beat out either Mike McGuirl or Selton Miguel to land in the starting lineup. Maybe, just maybe, both are better than him.