What happens downriver now

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: What happens downriver now

Post by bhoovy » June 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Well the last sentence there says that “penalties may be significant” but the fact they felt they needed to pass it off to someone else to make the decision and that they talk about how the stakes are particularly high for ku cause me to be skeptical that they’re not going to evaluate it like any other school facing the same violations and will look for every opportunity to lessen the punishment. Hope that’s just me being a bit paranoid.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 9th, 2020, 2:58 pm

The IARP was recommended to the NCAA in 2018 by the Commission on College Basketball, chaired by former Secretary Of State Condoleezza Rice, though nobody seems to know who first raised the idea. It was developed mainly for this reason: Some cases are too complex, too adversarial, for the customary peer-review process. The NCAA is merely a collective of schools, and some cases are so big, so explosive, schools don’t need to be policing each other...

“It’s the perception of the fox guarding the henhouse, so to speak,” she says. “How can member institutions hold themselves appropriately accountable when they themselves are the decision-makers?”

Long story short: The NCAA created the IARP to TCOB (take care of business). But if a school enters into the IARP, it must do so with this understanding:

There are no appeals.

As it says on the IARPCC.org website: “Decisions issued by the Independent Resolution Panel are final and are not subject to appeal or further review.”

IndyStar https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2 ... 047915001/
Last edited by tmcats on June 9th, 2020, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

katlander

Post by katlander » June 9th, 2020, 3:07 pm

What I get is that KU has a long basketball history and they, the NCAA, doesn't want to be responsible for sinking their ship. OSU also has a renowned basketball tradition but their violations were fewer and less egregious. Appropriate penalties were harsh but not severe. I would guess the KU penalties will be greater than those for OSU but will not be proportionately bigger and will be unfair in KU's favor. Just how unfair may be the bigger question. I think there is a systemic problem at KU. They have developed a win at all costs entitlement culture which has skewed their perceptions of honesty, integrity and fair play.
Last edited by katlander on June 9th, 2020, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 9th, 2020, 3:22 pm

this condi rice outside committee can levy some severe penalties according to the indy star piece i linked above:

>> a maximum postseason ban of five years (it was four years);

>> financial penalties including “loss of all revenue sharing in postseason competition” (there were fines previously, but no such all-encompassing risk);

>> potential lifetime show-cause finding against coaches (maximum had been 10 years);

>> and double the potential bans on official and unofficial recruiting visits, up to 100% (previous maximum loss of those visits: 50%).

the whole reason rice put this format together was because she knew universities are not capable of policing themselves. so, an outside authority had to be established for that purpose when the issues are really serious, like ku's. otherwise, nothing gets done because this college president is buddies with that one and so on. and academics are all about being collegial and nonjudgmental. well, that doesn't work when the idea is to pummel schools for cheating. ku's last chancellor came from unc. unc's current coach last coached at ku. there's a lot of inbreeding in the halls of ivy, thus the need to go outside.

"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » June 9th, 2020, 3:35 pm

The more I read about this, the more I feel the hammer is coming down on KU. The biggest question is how hard does it fall?

Found this posted on the Phog.. with several other longtime KU guys agreeing. I think it is spot on.

"All Gassnola testified was that the staff didn't know about any impermissible benefits. The NCAA's case does not require that they did. It only requires coordination between the staff and apparel reps to steer recruits to KU. They're saying that in and of itself is enough for an L1. Then tack on that oh by the way, this "booster" was paying players too, whether or not the staff knew about that part of it.

The whole point of this is that the NCAA is convinced it can side-step the plausible deniability of the money (because only idiots are going to have actual knowledge of that). And, that argument, as they've laid out has merit. In my opinion, that testimony is going to go more to the severity of the punishment, not whether or not a violation occurred."

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » June 10th, 2020, 8:00 am

I don't see how KU gets off without any penalty at all, the question is just how big of a penalty, to which is hard to judge given it's going through the IARP, the difference in the type of violations, and KU's response to those.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 11th, 2020, 8:46 am

bhoovy wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm
Well the last sentence there says that “penalties may be significant” but the fact they felt they needed to pass it off to someone else to make the decision and that they talk about how the stakes are particularly high for ku cause me to be skeptical that they’re not going to evaluate it like any other school facing the same violations and will look for every opportunity to lessen the punishment. Hope that’s just me being a bit paranoid.
I felt the same way. It was as if this person was justifying, in a surreptitious manner, lesser penalties on a storied program with a very successful coach. Keep the stink off the ncaa. Unless you are OSU, then that’s ok.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » June 19th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Bill is threatening to sue NCAA for defamation because it has investigated hjm.
From ESPN..
"against the NCAA and NCAA officers, employees and representatives for negligence, breach of contract, defamation, fraud, tortious interference with contract and tortious interference with prospective contract," Tompsett wrote. The letter was obtained by ESPN on Thursday through an open records request. Tompsett had no comment when reached by ESPN. An NCAA spokesperson didn't immediately respond to ESPN's request for comment.
"

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 19th, 2020, 8:54 pm

I hope they drag that dirty rotten sob through the mud. The NCAA is so deep into this mess that they can’t turn back.

katlander

Post by katlander » June 19th, 2020, 10:58 pm

He's just mad because he got caught and hasn't been able to talk (lie) his way out of it.............Ha, ha - ha, ha, ha. He is down by ten with 250 to go and is trying to snatch victory from defeat. This isn't a game Billy, put on some big boy pants.