What happens downriver now

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Highway26north

Re: What happens downriver now

Post by Highway26north » June 20th, 2020, 8:12 am

OK Bill, let's roll. Get an experienced prosecutor representing the NCAA, start taking depositions and let the fun begin.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 20th, 2020, 11:20 am

they all do it defense. :rofl:

Self personally was handed a coach responsibility charge, and the penalties associated with the alleged violations carry potential show-cause — essentially a suspension — penalties for Self and assistant coach Kurtis Townsend, a postseason ban, loss of recruiting scholarships, and vacated wins.

KU, Self and Townsend have vigorously disputed the charges facing the program since the process began; however, Self’s threat of legal action seems to clearly demonstrate KU won’t quietly accept any punishment that results in the aforementioned penalties.

“To put it bluntly, the NCAA enforcement staff is attempting to end Mr. Self’s long and very successful coaching career for conduct which all coaches engage in and which the NCAA has known for many years is commonplace and permissible,” Tompsett wrote.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2020/jun/ ... against-n/
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Section 12-2

Post by Section 12-2 » June 20th, 2020, 1:36 pm

That is one hilarious defense.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 20th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I’m sure Self can sue the ncaa personally; however, the member institutions (KU included) agreed to having an independent panel deliver “unappealable” decisions in certain cases, this one appearing to be one of those. Self better be willing to spend millions fighting this battle. The ugly workings of cbb are about to be exposed.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » June 21st, 2020, 5:09 am

Self has the millions to fight to "clear his name." The evidence may be a problem however. "Coach K does it" and Dickie V as a character witness may not cut it.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 21st, 2020, 10:57 am

ironically, i believe self (his lawyer) is attempting the same strategy with the ncaa that coach beaty did on ku: i'm going to dump all your dirty laundry for public view if you move forward with this. i don't believe it works - that others cheat too.

in 1988, jerry tarkanian argued that the ncaa did not give him due process in hammering the then known crooked coach. but the court said the ncaa was not a state and thus did not have to follow state or federal due process law in levying its punishment. tark lost.

thus, i think self is toast as well. claiming lack of due process or this "everyone does it" defense is not going to fly this time around. condi rice will have her piece and bill self will pay the price.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

learnin

Post by learnin » June 21st, 2020, 12:47 pm

It appears this is a last ditch effort to try and scare the NCAA from proceeding or to not hammer him. It’s last ditch because he admits he was doing this stuff, but claims every coach does it and then adds at the end it’s legal.

The coaches, who don’t work with shoe companies to get players, ought to make a joint statement saying that no, not everyone does it. If everyone did it, there’d be a lot of money being handed out for 3 star players.

katlander

Post by katlander » June 22nd, 2020, 12:39 am

Regardless of what the NCAA does I don't see how KU and the Big 12 can keep him around. He admitted its so, now he's gotta go. Bye bye Billy, bye bye.