some chatter from mike and d'gordon ...

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Hypeman
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 165 times

Re: some chatter from mike and d'gordon ...

Post by Hypeman » May 15th, 2020, 3:40 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 10:53 am
kswildcat wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 8:27 am
Great points, gentlemen. The mid range game is so lacking. The two or three dribble game is seldom seen today.
Girls basketball in Iowa used to have a two dribble limit in the 6 on 6 era. As antiquated and restrictive as that seems now, it was a lesson in how to utilize those two dribbles, along with ball movement to create open shots. Not a bad thing to study today. Today's game has too much dribbling.
Agreed. Somehow you’d still see individual players with huge scoring totals in those Iowa girls games.

katlander
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 310 times

Post by katlander » May 15th, 2020, 10:08 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 9:42 pm
katlander wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:43 am
Can a player drastically improve his ball handling skills? I was no star player but was OK. May be fair to say my game was similar to DG less the athleticism (-: Kind of an undersized 4 banger who could shoot. I learned to compensate for suspect ball handling largely by passing it and not dribbling into heavy traffic. I just played recreationally and never slept with the ball. I did occasionally have a ball in my bed but not a basketball. (-: At one point I played a lot and did work to get better with the dribble and did improve, some. Hopefully the coaches will be all over DG to improve in this area and I think he will. Until then he may be well served to let the game come to him and not try to force the dribble drive. Focus on passing cutting and taking the open shot. If a lane to hoop opens take it but be careful not to dribble into trouble. if he does this it should buy him time to improve.
The main thing D.Gordon needs to learn, is how to utilize the ability that he has at the stage of development that he is in. I felt that last year he tried to do things that we was not yet capable of doing on a consistent basis. Much of that was tied to his poor ball handling. Until he's able to maneuver with the basketball, like Barry Brown did his final two years, he should take baby steps to become that complete player.

How about starting with a mid-range game. Work on a two or three dribble game that frees you up for a jump shot. Learn to dribble off of ball screens. Learn a jump stop and shoot move. Learn to shoot a floater. These are some of the things that I rarely saw him do. And he certainly has the athleticism to add this to his game. It seems that with some of the kids who come out of high school, it was either shoot the 3, or get to the rim. Nothing much in-between. When they get to the college level, one aspect of their game that was so easy in high school (driving and finishing at the rim) has been taken away. The defenders are so much better and stronger in college than in high school.

So often these star players revert to the 3-point shot, because that's easier to do. It takes time to develop the strength, body control and dribbling ability to get to the rim, and then another level of athleticism and strength to actually finish the shot. D.Gordon has a long way to go. But I think he needs to start building his game from the 3-point line in. And I'm talking about all 20 feet of that. I think he could be a really good mid-range player, but only if he wants to be.
Makes sense pdave. I like the players that have a mid range game and it generally causes problems for the opposing defense.