AJcat7755
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 268 times

Pick 'Em

Re: New one time transfer waiver

Post by AJcat7755 » May 4th, 2020, 9:56 am

KsJoey wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 8:03 pm
There needed to be some changes made to the whole process, but man, the process just opened to pipes to pretty close to anything. If star player can get 10x the endorsments playing at Kentucky or KU vs the smaller school he is currently at, it's going to be a no brainer for a lot of these players to transfer, especially considering they can do it without sitting out.

I feel like the playing field just got more lopsided... rich get richer, poor get poorer. Especially in Basketball. Football, that could be different.
There are only 13 spots on a roster in basketball, so even the rich can only be so rich. In addition, do you think sponsors are going to be lining up to pay big $$ to the 13th player on Kentucky's team for his image? So this really is only going to affect the top players, which were already going to these schools anyways. It's just the NCAA's attempt to try and keep these players going to college instead of the G-League. If the G-League takes off, that is going to drain the top talent out of college anyways. So if you have a shoe deal, your going with the top players in the G-League over what's left in college, and with the top players out of college, even if the blue bloods get the best, the ceiling on these players has been lowered.

I just don't think it's going to change sports all that much because these schools were already getting these players and they can only take so many anyways. Player transfers were already up, and new rules opening them up more means they were going to transfer, endorsement deals or not. And for every player that transfers to a blue blood, that is 1 that has to leave that school to make a spot. College sports will always be lopsided, because blue bloods can take all the talent they want without a "salary cap" limit like in pro sports, but only so many can get shoe deals and only so many get to see the field or make the team.

BigDaddy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BigDaddy » May 5th, 2020, 12:52 pm

AJcat, is it 13 roster spots or 13 scholarships?

With these new rules, would it be beneficial to reduce total number of scholarships? Would that help spread the talent?

AJcat7755
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 268 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » May 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm

BigDaddy wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 12:52 pm

With these new rules, would it be beneficial to reduce total number of scholarships? Would that help spread the talent?
You can only have 13 scholarship players in basketball. I don't know if there is a limit on walkons in basketball, but you typically don't see more then 2. But it seems very unlikely that top players are going to walkon to a blue blood and there will be enough $$ deals that are out there for the 14th and 15th player on a team.

Basketball doesn't make a ton of sense to reduce scholarships. Although there are players transferring because of lack of playing time, 13-15 players gives you only enough players to have a practice game of 2 squads (because you need subs) and that is with no injuries.

Now football seems like they could reduce a few scholarships. Teams like Alabama just stockpile talent because they have so many to give, where they can have 2 deep of blue chip talent at most positions. FCS has a lower number of scholarships in football, maybe that is the best deal.

BigDaddy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BigDaddy » May 7th, 2020, 12:01 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm
BigDaddy wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 12:52 pm

You can only have 13 scholarship players in basketball. I don't know if there is a limit on walkons in basketball, but you typically don't see more then 2. But it seems very unlikely that top players are going to walkon to a blue blood and there will be enough $$ deals that are out there for the 14th and 15th player on a team.

Basketball doesn't make a ton of sense to reduce scholarships. Although there are players transferring because of lack of playing time, 13-15 players gives you only enough players to have a practice game of 2 squads (because you need subs) and that is with no injuries.

Now football seems like they could reduce a few scholarships. Teams like Alabama just stockpile talent because they have so many to give, where they can have 2 deep of blue chip talent at most positions. FCS has a lower number of scholarships in football, maybe that is the best deal.
I agree with your assessment of scholarships for football.

katlander
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 308 times

Post by katlander » May 7th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I remember when they reduced football schollies from 105 (I think) to 85. It did help to spread talent. I remember top Kansas players passing on local schools for a full ride at NU. Many proceeded to spend 4 years riding the pine and may have been day one starters here. Either NU was making sure they didn't miss out on a good player for them or maybe they were just keeping us from getting them.
These users liked katlander for the post:
stlcatfan (May 10th, 2020, 8:37 am)