Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Piedmontcat
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 85 times

Re: Recent Dean Wade & Matt Mooney interview

Post by Piedmontcat » April 29th, 2020, 12:21 pm

katlander wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 11:28 pm
Just seems like they overpaid Love. Was that to get him there to try to make LeBron happy? I don't know much about the other players. Certainly seems unfair to be able to keep a young player down due to poor management.
One of the things Belien said when he left was he was not prepared for how much say the GM and influential agents have on who plays. The GM is under pressure for their high draft picks to work out - so he demands they play. Agents with influential clients pressure the GM to play their guys or they will steer their players elsewhere. The coach works for the GM. In theory, everyone wants to put the best team on the floor and win games, but sometimes the politics and dollars involved make that difficult.

And, yes, Love is way overpaid.

Highway26north
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Highway26north » April 29th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Sooner or later a spot will open up somewhere for Dean. Kind of like it did for Wes. Puff, has Cleveland been pushing the weight training for him? Just curious.

tmcats
Has liked: 1129 times
Been liked: 779 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 29th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:21 pm
katlander wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 11:28 pm
Just seems like they overpaid Love. Was that to get him there to try to make LeBron happy? I don't know much about the other players. Certainly seems unfair to be able to keep a young player down due to poor management.
One of the things Belien said when he left was he was not prepared for how much say the GM and influential agents have on who plays. The GM is under pressure for their high draft picks to work out - so he demands they play. Agents with influential clients pressure the GM to play their guys or they will steer their players elsewhere. The coach works for the GM. In theory, everyone wants to put the best team on the floor and win games, but sometimes the politics and dollars involved make that difficult.

And, yes, Love is way overpaid.
the espn jordan story is sure proving the point about the power general managers have over their ballclub. my gosh.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Puffdad
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 533 times

Post by Puffdad » April 29th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Highway26north wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Sooner or later a spot will open up somewhere for Dean. Kind of like it did for Wes. Puff, has Cleveland been pushing the weight training for him? Just curious.
Yes they had weight training programs to do but it’s nowhere like college. It’s more of a maintenance and flexibility program. Nowhere near as often or intense. Totally different program and defined goals compared to college lifting is what he’s said. And they are still sending workouts and weight programs presently.

Puffdad
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 533 times

Post by Puffdad » May 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm

These users liked Puffdad for the post:
Piedmontcat (May 9th, 2020, 9:07 pm)

katlander
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 310 times

Post by katlander » May 11th, 2020, 11:34 am

Dean appears to check all the boxes and should only get better barring injury. I stand by my past prediction that Dean will be a starter in the NBA. He may even make an All Star game before he is done. Also can see him playing some three in the right scenario. His abilities to handle the ball, pass and defend make it possible. This could create match-up issues for opponents as he could shoot over smaller players. I can also see him used as a 3 point assassin off the bench.