gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Re: Levi Stockard to Transfer

Post by gdgjr78 » April 21st, 2020, 2:41 pm

KsJoey wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 2:12 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 1:37 pm

Joey, I agree that Weber and staff did a horrendous job of recruiting for 3 years, however, I don't think you can say that last year's front line was any better than this year's might be. Last year's bigs were horrendous. Do you really think that we're going to miss Mawien's fumbled passes and Stockard's inconsistent play? What did all that experience do for those two? One of them got worse!

The perimeter players will carry this team until the bigs come around. And as far as I know, all of them can catch a basketball. And maybe even dunk it.
Perimeter play almost always carries Weber teams, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess we will see what the new and inexperienced bigmen will do next year as nobody really knows how they will fare. When you look back at our bigmen over the past 10-15 years, very few were on the level of a senior Makol or senior Levi, as a 1st year player. Sure, there are exceptions, and sure, these new guys might surprise on day 1. But they could very easily be a step back from a Senior Levi until they get the experience under their belt, which might take a season or more. We knew what we were getting with Levi and Makol, which was backup quality caliber players(though inconsistent). I mostly like the 4 incoming transfer/freshmen bigs and they appear to have potential, but I also know Bruce has had far more Love & Shadd type players, than DJ's and Wades, when it comes to bigmen... so my expectations for new bigmen are tempered, especially in their 1st year.

I'm also curious why Levi would transfer. Nowhere else at this level, would he be a projected starter. He's not leaving because of playing time... unless he drops down to Mid-Major.
I'm wondering not just "why" but "why now". He's waited a very long time to declare and most teams have filled all their roster spots. I had the same question regarding sloan, definitely some odd things happening.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 21st, 2020, 2:42 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm
KsJoey wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:53 am
You guys thought our inside game was bad last year? Just wait until this next season when Makol and Levi are gone and we are relying on guys will little or no, college experience. Bigmen, more than anybody, need experience before they become solid contributors. I think Bruce did a great job recruiting this class, but likewise, he still deserves a lot of criticism for 3 recruiting classes completely falling apart. 1 person(McGuil) left to graduate as a senior, out of how many?
Better be careful if you don't spout rainbows and koolaid on this board you'll be labeled a hater. I remember the good ole days of making fun of wsu for their transfers. Ah those were fun times in the sun.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » April 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm

RE Ezeagu not being eligible til the second semester: there may not be a first semester....

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 21st, 2020, 2:55 pm

Tmcats go back and read the thread with you and a few of the regulars piling on wsu 🤣. Its comedy gold now, I'd bring some of those posts over here but I'm not motivated enough.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 21st, 2020, 2:55 pm

I recall Levi was considered the prize of his recruiting class.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 21st, 2020, 3:15 pm

I think the timing may say it all. We were thinking we would potentially get William's and Stockard was staying. We lost him and added another big instead and Levi immediately enters the portal. Sounds to me like that one more big just pushed Levi over the edge. At any rate, it is a loss on experience and knowing defensive rotations and will show the most early in the year but, hopefully, the additional PT for the younger guys early in the year will pay off in conference.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » April 21st, 2020, 3:25 pm

There was a five-post thread when Levi signed.

One post was the news article and four posts welcoming him to the team.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » April 21st, 2020, 4:12 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 2:55 pm
Tmcats go back and read the thread with you and a few of the regulars piling on wsu 🤣. Its comedy gold now, I'd bring some of those posts over here but I'm not motivated enough.
The whole transfer thing is just a way of D1 sports life anymore, so I make no reaction either way anymore.

The difference between WSU's mass transit & KSU is that that they are leaving WSU after a very successful year and leaving KSU after a terrible season. Cartier is the only one leaving that KSU will miss.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 21st, 2020, 4:22 pm

KsJoey wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:53 am
You guys thought our inside game was bad last year? Just wait until this next season when Makol and Levi are gone and we are relying on guys will little or no, college experience. Bigmen, more than anybody, need experience before they become solid contributors. I think Bruce did a great job recruiting this class, but likewise, he still deserves a lot of criticism for 3 recruiting classes completely falling apart. 1 person(McGuil) left to graduate as a senior, out of how many?
36 minutes, 10.4 pts, 8 rebounds, 3.3 turnovers and no rim protection from Makol and Levi. I think brand new guys can give us that in 36 minutes. For sure in rebounding and altering a few shots.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » April 21st, 2020, 4:55 pm

:Hate to see Levi go. However, I never though he played with a lot of fire and enthusiasm. Seemed to just go through the motions. However, he did get better last season and projected to play a lot this year. Oh, well. Wish him the best.