Carlton Linguard commits

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
pulitzerdave
Posts: 3200
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 363 times

Re: Carlton Linguard commits

Post by pulitzerdave » April 22nd, 2020, 9:05 pm

Those two guys were too fat!

User avatar
gdgjr78
Posts: 5443
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Location: Ta Town
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by gdgjr78 » April 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 9:05 pm
Those two guys were too fat!
Yeah I just hope our luck with JC big guys changes. Actually I could just change that to big guys period.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

SCKSCat
Posts: 1579
Joined: November 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by SCKSCat » April 22nd, 2020, 10:18 pm

It seems bulking up guys haven't worked so well for this program. Feet problems and poor shooting and so forth

IStillLikeHarv
Posts: 1598
Joined: March 9th, 2016, 9:25 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 23rd, 2020, 10:19 am

One guy Carlton reminds me of is Mike Davis who played for Weber at Illinois. Mike was 6' 9" and weighed (maybe) 185 as a senior in high school. He wasn't getting much high major interest, so he was all set to go the prep route when UI swept in and signed him in the spring. Davis showed some flashes as a freshman, but he led the Big Ten in rebounding in his sophomore and junior seasons. Davis was a somewhat better leaper than Carlton, but Carlton is significantly taller and longer.

My guess is that Carlton will need to get up to about 215-220 to play in the Big 12, but I think he has a chance to become a major contributor as early as his junior season (this will be his sophomore season). In addition to decent rebounding and good shot blocking, Carlton is a good shooter. He also seems to be able to catch the ball pretty well, including one-handed.
These users liked IStillLikeHarv for the post:
stlcatfan (April 24th, 2020, 11:50 am)

wild@nite
Posts: 3112
Joined: February 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 537 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 23rd, 2020, 10:31 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:18 pm
It seems bulking up guys haven't worked so well for this program. Feet problems and poor shooting and so forth
Feet problems, I agree with, but poor shooting? Are you suggesting putting on muscle screws your shooting up? As long as a kid is shooting regularly, lifting weights and bulking up doesn't effect your shot. It's a muscle memory thing. Many guys go from HS to college, put on 10-15 lbs and become better shooters, then on top of that, the many guys who go from college to the NBA, put on 20 lbs and perfect their art of shooting.

Maybe I'm misconstruing what you are getting at?

User avatar
stlcatfan
Posts: 2105
Joined: September 9th, 2017, 7:45 am
Has liked: 974 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2020, 11:54 am

wild@nite wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 10:31 am
SCKSCat wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:18 pm
It seems bulking up guys haven't worked so well for this program. Feet problems and poor shooting and so forth
Feet problems, I agree with, but poor shooting? Are you suggesting putting on muscle screws your shooting up? As long as a kid is shooting regularly, lifting weights and bulking up doesn't effect your shot. It's a muscle memory thing. Many guys go from HS to college, put on 10-15 lbs and become better shooters, then on top of that, the many guys who go from college to the NBA, put on 20 lbs and perfect their art of shooting.

Maybe I'm misconstruing what you are getting at?
You made me think back to when I was a kid. The coaches told us not to lift weights because it would screw up our shot. In high school that was hard to avoid because we lifted weights for football. Of course, by that time, the thinking was beginning to change on lifting weights for basketball.

tmcats
Posts: 8327
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 1129 times
Been liked: 779 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm

i remember bob knight advising youngsters to not get too big because he felt it would hamper their game. this was back in the 90s when huggs was developing monsters at cincinnati.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 12386
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 797 times
Been liked: 449 times

Post by learnin » April 24th, 2020, 11:48 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm
i remember bob knight advising youngsters to not get too big because he felt it would hamper their game. this was back in the 90s when huggs was developing monsters at cincinnati.
And he was right. But, that was before basketball became a hybrid of football-basketball.
These users liked learnin for the post:
kswildcat (April 25th, 2020, 8:17 am)

kswildcat
Posts: 394
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 8:45 am
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by kswildcat » April 25th, 2020, 8:18 am

You're so right, learnin. How this game has changed!

ToledoCat#3
Posts: 591
Joined: March 22nd, 2020, 10:37 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 48 times

Post by ToledoCat#3 » April 25th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Remember when 2-3 blocks a game was a good number?

Post Reply