COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: Competition for playing time will be fierce

Post by xtrawildcat » April 14th, 2020, 7:29 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 5:14 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Regarding Merriweather and Colon. Every minute they got was too many for me.
Thats pretty harsh considering the commitment and time they devoted to KSU bball especially considering players are bailing left and right on programs. I think you and tmcats, etc just hate who their coach was so its a passive aggressive way to attack him. 🤷‍♂️
Your opinion is fine. My opinion is the minutes Colon and Merriweather got should have been going to some talented freshmen. So Judge and a pretty good player in Russel end up transferring out.
Colon and Merriweather were terrible players imo who kept other players off the court.

Freshman class minutes that year.
Wally Judge 11.7
McGruder 12,3
Irving 10,3
Russel 6.9
JO 9.8

Merriweather 8.1
Colon 14,6

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 14th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Despite all the talent, freshman aren't all ready to start as a freshman. They make a lot of mistakes, specifically on the defensive end. Front court players generally also lack the size and strength needed to play a full season going up against seniors that are much bigger. JO was not ready as a freshman. He dominated HS because of his size, but he had to make an adjustment to playing against players his own size. Judge wasn't one that was going to bang around for rebounds. Frank wanted Colon because he was big and physical and would help wear down other bigs and he didn't care if he fouled out (remember the clothesline?)

Guards have an easier time starting earlier because they don't need the physicality as they would in the paint, but there is still a lot to be learned on defense.

IMO, when you have a team with several proven players, the last thing Martin wanted to do was add any risk into the mix with freshman. He went with known commodities because he didn't need them to be the leaders, just give reserve minutes and keep things status quo for a few minutes each game. If KSU didn't have those proven players, then the freshman should have been playing because KSU would need all the talent they could use, but in that year, they didn't need to take the risk/reward.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 13th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Old guy who remember Curtis Redding and Rolando Blackmon. Remember how they came into a game and sparked a big run. Instead of minutes played, I am looking for impactful minutes and who will light a fire. I think we have a group who can come in and actually push things to a higher plane. Last year you hoped we would not slip further behind when subs came in. We did though.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 14th, 2020, 11:20 am

Great point. We are going to need starters and guys who play major minutes who can defend, play good team ball, pass it well, and not turn it over. But its nice to have individuals on the bench who can come in during a scoring drought and provide a spark. The several talented young guys on this team will make it likely to have some guys who may not be ready in all facets but may be able to come off the bench and score.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 16th, 2020, 6:36 am

My only memory of Merriwether is when Martin punched him.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Hypeman wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 6:36 am
My only memory of Merriwether is when Martin punched him.
Maybe that's why he got to play so much, the kid could take a punch.