Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
bigdeal
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

Post by bigdeal » April 17th, 2020, 8:44 pm

I found it interesting that Williams said he was looking forward to playing with the #1 playing in the nation for a couple of years. If Cunningham is the #1 player in the nation, he definitely won't be staying for Williams to play with him more than one season. So he is either fooling himself or buying recruiting drivel there.

Then he says this is just a business decision, Coaches at KSU will understand because they are millionaires. Sounds like a line fed directly to him from the OSU staff. I can hear that response when he just kind of sheepishly mentions to them that he kind of committed to KSU.

Then Williams says that Boynton is a really honest guy, or something to that effect. Isn't that kind of Bruce's thing, good or bad, that he is almost too nice of guy.

I thought WIlliams wanted to play close to home. Well, his family sure could have visited him much easier in Manhattan than Stillwater.

Look, this is a recruiting miss by Bruce and the staff because there is no reason OSU should be able to out-recruit us on this kid, let alone steal him at the end after being their second choice. Our staff may have worked him more, which makes it more frustrating that he spurs us for OSU, especially since we have an Elite 8 and a Big 12 Championship in our near rear-view mirror while OSU hasn't even made the tourney.

That being said, the posters on here are right. This kid thinks he is a top 50 kid, but the coaches around the country clearly do not agree. He is, no doubt, talented, and I guess we shall see how talented. But he also clearly isn't the most grounded kid.

pulitzerdave
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 362 times

Post by pulitzerdave » April 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I don't see this as a recruiting miss. Not after reading his recent comments. This staff did everything they could to land this egomaniac. I don't think he's a high character guy. Selton Miguel plays the same position and is higher rated.
These users liked pulitzerdave for the post:
tmcats (April 18th, 2020, 9:57 am)

katlander
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by katlander » April 18th, 2020, 9:36 am

I think a lot of high school kids in sports, academics, and other areas often have themselves or their abilities over rated. He seems to think he is a finished product when in reality he is a work in progress. DW likely has a lot to learn. The question is how and if he will learn it, or will he continue to rank himself higher than his pay grade? It likely it comes down to one thing, immaturity. How quickly will he grow up? Will he continue to be a bad actor? Only time will tell. This is pretty common among high school heroes. As the old saying goes "Welcome to the Big 8"

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 18th, 2020, 10:55 am

katlander wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 9:36 am
I think a lot of high school kids in sports, academics, and other areas often have themselves or their abilities over rated. He seems to think he is a finished product when in reality he is a work in progress. DW likely has a lot to learn. The question is how and if he will learn it, or will he continue to rank himself higher than his pay grade? It likely it comes down to one thing, immaturity. How quickly will he grow up? Will he continue to be a bad actor? Only time will tell. This is pretty common among high school heroes. As the old saying goes "Welcome to the Big 8"
He was hot stuff in Nebraska ... not exactly a basketball Mecca. But probably a pretty good place to stroke your ego while scoring 30 points a game.

katlander

Post by katlander » April 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Below are the top 20 rated athletes from Nebraska as per The Omaha World-Herald. Surprising how many are not from the gridiron. We got their best round baller in #4 Bob Boozer. Their top rated football player #2 Gayle Sayers went to KU, of all places. :shock:

20 Gilbert Dodds Gilbert Dodds Track & Field Falls City
19 Lloyd Cardwell Lloyd Cardwell Football Seward
18 Erick Strickland Erick Strickland Multi-sport Bellevue
17 Marlin Briscoe Marlin Briscoe Football Omaha
16 Allison Weston Allison Weston Volleyball Papillion
15 Mike McGee Mike McGee Basketball Omaha
14 Sam Crawford Sam Crawford Baseball Wahoo
13 Ike Mahoney Ike Mahoney Multi-sport Omaha
12 Dazzy Vance Dazzy Vance Baseball Cowles
11 Jim Hartung Jim Hartung Gymnastics Omaha
10 Jordan Larson Jordan Larson Volleyball Hooper
9 Tom Kropp Tom Kropp Multi-sport Aurora
8 Ahman Green Ahman Green Football Omaha
7 Richie Ashburn Richie Ashburn Baseball Tilden
6 Lloyd Hahn Lloyd Hahn Track & Field Falls City
5 Johnny Rodgers Johnny Rodgers Football Omaha
4 Bob Boozer Bob Boozer Basketball Omaha
3 Grover Cleveland Alexander Grover Cleveland Alexander Baseball Elba
2 Gale Sayers Gale Sayers Football Omaha
1 Bob Gibson Bob Gibson Baseball Omaha
You can still access the complete 2005 rankings, but The World-Herald’s updated Nebraska 100 was released
These users liked katlander for the post:
tmcats (April 18th, 2020, 4:47 pm)

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 18th, 2020, 5:22 pm

katlander wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Below are the top 20 rated athletes from Nebraska as per The Omaha World-Herald. Surprising how many are not from the gridiron. We got their best round baller in #4 Bob Boozer. Their top rated football player #2 Gayle Sayers went to KU, of all places. :shock:

20 Gilbert Dodds Gilbert Dodds Track & Field Falls City
19 Lloyd Cardwell Lloyd Cardwell Football Seward
18 Erick Strickland Erick Strickland Multi-sport Bellevue
17 Marlin Briscoe Marlin Briscoe Football Omaha
16 Allison Weston Allison Weston Volleyball Papillion
15 Mike McGee Mike McGee Basketball Omaha
14 Sam Crawford Sam Crawford Baseball Wahoo
13 Ike Mahoney Ike Mahoney Multi-sport Omaha
12 Dazzy Vance Dazzy Vance Baseball Cowles
11 Jim Hartung Jim Hartung Gymnastics Omaha
10 Jordan Larson Jordan Larson Volleyball Hooper
9 Tom Kropp Tom Kropp Multi-sport Aurora
8 Ahman Green Ahman Green Football Omaha
7 Richie Ashburn Richie Ashburn Baseball Tilden
6 Lloyd Hahn Lloyd Hahn Track & Field Falls City
5 Johnny Rodgers Johnny Rodgers Football Omaha
4 Bob Boozer Bob Boozer Basketball Omaha
3 Grover Cleveland Alexander Grover Cleveland Alexander Baseball Elba
2 Gale Sayers Gale Sayers Football Omaha
1 Bob Gibson Bob Gibson Baseball Omaha
You can still access the complete 2005 rankings, but The World-Herald’s updated Nebraska 100 was released
Only two basketball players. And who is Mike McGee (15). Makes my point about Nebraska not being a basketball Mecca. I suppose we'll see the great Donavan Williams on the list someday.

wild@nite
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 535 times

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 18th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Surprising to me that Scott Frost isn't on there. Football stud but also shot put champion and held the state record for awhile at 61' 6".

That isn't enough to unseat Bob Gibson, Boozer, Green, or Rodgers, but Ive never even heard of several on that list.

csteel25
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by csteel25 » April 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm

I am with PDave on this one. Don't consider it a miss.

When we had Snyder and Weber we were probably the cleanest athletic department in the country. Their peers put both Snyder and Weber in the top 5 for being the most above board. (don't remember the exact language)

So we were different. With Kleiman, not sure. Time will tell.

katlander

Post by katlander » April 19th, 2020, 12:03 am

Here's the whole list of top 100 Nebraska athletes. Frost is #48.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrC3O_ ... Zl2UHgqj0-

SCKSCat
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by SCKSCat » April 19th, 2020, 8:49 am

A lot of mess and problems can come with a cute new puppy. Evidently Weber thought he was trainable. The group coming is about the we and not the Me. Hope Boyton gets good value from his lease because if transfer with no wait goes through, he is gone if he has a good year. Loyalty to self is his mantra