David Sloan in transfer portal

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
katlander
Posts: 5108
Joined: June 3rd, 2015, 12:44 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 310 times

Re: David Sloan in transfer portal

Post by katlander » April 13th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Our team chemistry was not good and may have been better with a different starting 5. I think we did see the line up without Cartier and X at times and I don't think they were too bad. Sitting your go to guys changes the whole dynamic. When the main shooters aren't there everyone else realizes that they will need to up their game and score more. Passing changes, positioning changes, shot selection changes. Very hard to know what would happen but Mike, David and the freshmen would have taken a lot more shots. Turnovers likely would have gone down.
These users liked katlander for the post:
stlcatfan (April 13th, 2020, 8:34 pm)

User avatar
gdgjr78
Posts: 5444
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Location: Ta Town
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by gdgjr78 » April 13th, 2020, 8:13 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 7:27 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 5:48 pm


You take X and Cartier off last year's team and KSU would have been scoring in the 40's most every game. The lack of offensive talent on last years squad was the only thing offensive about it 🤣
So if other players are taking those 24 or so shots a game that X and Cartier are taking they wouldn't make them? I think they could have matched 30% from 3 and 40% from 2 like these two. But they never had the chance. So you don't know how many points per game THAT team would have scored.

Snead shot a measly 36.5% from the field, and Diarra a not too much better 41.2%. McGuirl, D.Gordon, Mawien, and Stockard all had higher percentages, and Sloan and Murphy's percentages were virtually the same as Diarra's.

Sneed and Diarra took nearly half of the total shots taken by this team with a combine field goal percentage of 38.5%. So I don't like your argument very much.
Your assertion that the other players would have performed better is frankly ridiculous and sounds like you're making excuses for Webers last place finish by placing the blame on those two players. Every single team had this scouting report, stop X and Cartier and we win. I will say that not one single player outside of X or Cartier would have started for ANY Big 12 team. Just stop
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

ksustars754
Posts: 1027
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:25 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 65 times

Post by ksustars754 » April 13th, 2020, 10:06 pm

So I see both sides. Gd says “every scouting report said to stop X and Cartier.” I firmly believe that to be accurate. I also know that scouting report didn’t stop X from going 2-11 and 0-5 from 3 far too many times.

The rest of the supporting cast was not good. KState wouldn’t have been a tourney team this year no matter how well anyone played because we played without a real front court. However, I heard all year from the Twitter beat “reporters” that it was “poor X”. If you want to take that stance, then I have nothing for you. A senior with as much experience as X shouldn’t have had that bad of a season offensively. He just shouldn’t have.

User avatar
gdgjr78
Posts: 5444
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Location: Ta Town
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by gdgjr78 » April 13th, 2020, 10:37 pm

ksustars754 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 10:06 pm
So I see both sides. Gd says “every scouting report said to stop X and Cartier.” I firmly believe that to be accurate. I also know that scouting report didn’t stop X from going 2-11 and 0-5 from 3 far too many times.

The rest of the supporting cast was not good. KState wouldn’t have been a tourney team this year no matter how well anyone played because we played without a real front court. However, I heard all year from the Twitter beat “reporters” that it was “poor X”. If you want to take that stance, then I have nothing for you. A senior with as much experience as X shouldn’t have had that bad of a season offensively. He just shouldn’t have.
Why did X and Cartier play better last year?
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Puffdad
Moderator
Posts: 4674
Joined: May 28th, 2015, 7:51 pm
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 533 times

Post by Puffdad » April 13th, 2020, 11:29 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 10:37 pm
ksustars754 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 10:06 pm
So I see both sides. Gd says “every scouting report said to stop X and Cartier.” I firmly believe that to be accurate. I also know that scouting report didn’t stop X from going 2-11 and 0-5 from 3 far too many times.

The rest of the supporting cast was not good. KState wouldn’t have been a tourney team this year no matter how well anyone played because we played without a real front court. However, I heard all year from the Twitter beat “reporters” that it was “poor X”. If you want to take that stance, then I have nothing for you. A senior with as much experience as X shouldn’t have had that bad of a season offensively. He just shouldn’t have.
Why did X and Cartier play better last year?
Can’t believe you really asked that. You just stated the reasons in your last post. No pressure to score. No scouting report to key on them. Better teammates period. Teammates giving them better passes for assists. Weren’t forced to be a leader. etc....

User avatar
gdgjr78
Posts: 5444
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Location: Ta Town
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by gdgjr78 » April 13th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Puffdad wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 11:29 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 10:37 pm


Why did X and Cartier play better last year?
Can’t believe you really asked that. No pressure to score. No scouting report to key on them. Better teammates period. Teammates giving them better passes for assists. etc....
Thank you, my work is done.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

ksustars754
Posts: 1027
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:25 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 65 times

Post by ksustars754 » April 14th, 2020, 7:18 am

So we had two senior role players? I can accept that argument however I’m not sure that’s what you’re saying.

My point is that X and Diarra should have been better than role players as experienced seniors. If the surrounding cast isn’t setting you up how Barry, Kam, and Dean did then ADAPT. Change your game. Add elements to your game.

Horses_n_Hoops
Posts: 146
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 6:37 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » April 20th, 2020, 9:02 pm

David Sloan just committed to ETSU. That’s a great choice.

They had a phenomenal season for 19-20. For reference for most of the season they were probably better than Kansas State. They’re losing a few seniors but I think they’re reloading pretty well with transfers and guys who redshirted. I don’t think they’ll be quite as good next year, but still one of the best in the SoCon. They’re right up there with UNCG and Furman. Steve Forbes has been a great coach for ETSU, and he’s gotten himself a solid player in Sloan.

Sloan landed the best of the 4 guys who transferred out, and rightfully so because he’s the best of the 4 IMO. I really hope he does well here.

pulitzerdave
Posts: 3200
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by pulitzerdave » April 20th, 2020, 9:56 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 8:13 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 7:27 pm


So if other players are taking those 24 or so shots a game that X and Cartier are taking they wouldn't make them? I think they could have matched 30% from 3 and 40% from 2 like these two. But they never had the chance. So you don't know how many points per game THAT team would have scored.

Snead shot a measly 36.5% from the field, and Diarra a not too much better 41.2%. McGuirl, D.Gordon, Mawien, and Stockard all had higher percentages, and Sloan and Murphy's percentages were virtually the same as Diarra's.

Sneed and Diarra took nearly half of the total shots taken by this team with a combine field goal percentage of 38.5%. So I don't like your argument very much.
Your assertion that the other players would have performed better is frankly ridiculous and sounds like you're making excuses for Webers last place finish by placing the blame on those two players. Every single team had this scouting report, stop X and Cartier and we win. I will say that not one single player outside of X or Cartier would have started for ANY Big 12 team. Just stop

That's not my assertion at all. I'm just saying that any of our players could have shot those percentages if given the shots. If X and Carti weren't on the team, my guess is that just about the same number of shots would have been taken, especially when you subtract all of the wasted possessions because of the turnovers from those two. Your argument that we wouldn't have won any games is ridiculous. When players are given expanded roles out of necessity, then most of the time they play better. That's the way in works. Given all of that, we still would have been bad. But what's worse than bad? Terrible? You don't know if we would have been that. We may have won the same number of games without those two. Neither guy was clutch down the stretch of games. In fact, they were the opposite of that. They choked!

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 12386
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 797 times
Been liked: 449 times

Post by learnin » April 20th, 2020, 10:26 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 8:13 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 7:27 pm


So if other players are taking those 24 or so shots a game that X and Cartier are taking they wouldn't make them? I think they could have matched 30% from 3 and 40% from 2 like these two. But they never had the chance. So you don't know how many points per game THAT team would have scored.

Snead shot a measly 36.5% from the field, and Diarra a not too much better 41.2%. McGuirl, D.Gordon, Mawien, and Stockard all had higher percentages, and Sloan and Murphy's percentages were virtually the same as Diarra's.

Sneed and Diarra took nearly half of the total shots taken by this team with a combine field goal percentage of 38.5%. So I don't like your argument very much.
Your assertion that the other players would have performed better is frankly ridiculous and sounds like you're making excuses for Webers last place finish by placing the blame on those two players. Every single team had this scouting report, stop X and Cartier and we win. I will say that not one single player outside of X or Cartier would have started for ANY Big 12 team. Just stop
This is precisely why I , if in their situation, would have made other players do something. For one thing, Mak could have come out and taken quite a few more 15-20 footers. David Sloan could have taken more shots, and if I was in X and Cartier's shoes, I would've insisted that he do just that. I would have insisted that Mike McGuirl "make more happen". The same with D. Gordon. As I look back on last year, I see Cartier and X dribbling around quite a bit and then forcing up a shot. Perhaps, they thought they had to, but at their shooting percentage, we probably would have done better with 10 of their shots being put up by someone else.

Post Reply