Joe Petrakis

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Hypeman

Re: Joe Petrakis

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2020, 7:25 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 12:11 am
Just a reminder. Petrakis is a preferred walk on. Means he was recruited to be on the team much like guys like Budke. Maybe McAtee was too. I'm not sure.
He'll be an asset to the team even if just a practice player. Will just be another one of 14 guys to watch next year even if it is just in pre season scrimmages and scrub minutes. I did watch him enough last summer to know he has a very nice looking shot from range and works on it. Whether he can be a good shooter in games and actually see the floor is to be determined. He'll have to be able to play some defense and rebound to do that.
Lol, I heard this term “preferred” walk-on a few years ago. Sounds like a fluffy made up term, and it is. Preferred walk-on means he’s been given a roster spot without a scholarship. “Any” walk-on can get that. Recruited can mean a donor gave you money in a duffle bag like a real recruit, or your parents are the donors and the staff says you should come sit on the bench as long as you get good grades and your parents contribute.

That’s the real story behind many preferred walk-on. Don’t know Petrikas story, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it has some existing KSU connections like McAtees..

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 31st, 2020, 8:37 am

Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 7:25 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 12:11 am
Just a reminder. Petrakis is a preferred walk on. Means he was recruited to be on the team much like guys like Budke. Maybe McAtee was too. I'm not sure.
He'll be an asset to the team even if just a practice player. Will just be another one of 14 guys to watch next year even if it is just in pre season scrimmages and scrub minutes. I did watch him enough last summer to know he has a very nice looking shot from range and works on it. Whether he can be a good shooter in games and actually see the floor is to be determined. He'll have to be able to play some defense and rebound to do that.
Lol, I heard this term “preferred” walk-on a few years ago. Sounds like a fluffy made up term, and it is. Preferred walk-on means he’s been given a roster spot without a scholarship. “Any” walk-on can get that. Recruited can mean a donor gave you money in a duffle bag like a real recruit, or your parents are the donors and the staff says you should come sit on the bench as long as you get good grades and your parents contribute.

That’s the real story behind many preferred walk-on. Don’t know Petrikas story, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it has some existing KSU connections like McAtees..
A preferred walk on is recruited by the coaches. Chester Frazier recruited Petrakis. I had a good friends son recruited by Greg Marshalls staff to be a preferred walk on at WSU. His dad is a big KSU donor but never game a dime to WSU. So preferred walk on means the WSU coaches watched him and actively talked him into being on the WSU team. And he played some minutes for them before a knee injury ended his career early.
Budke may actually not have been a preferred walk on.

Most of our football walk ons are recruited. My next door neighbors son was recruited to be a walk on at Kansas State by Mo Latimore before ending up at KU.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2020, 9:42 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:37 am
Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 7:25 am

A preferred walk on is recruited by the coaches. Chester Frazier recruited Petrakis. I had a good friends son recruited by Greg Marshalls staff to be a preferred walk on at WSU. His dad is a big KSU donor but never game a dime to WSU. So preferred walk on means the WSU coaches watched him and actively talked him into being on the WSU team. And he played some minutes for them before a knee injury ended his career early.

Most of our football walk ons are recruited. My next door neighbors son was recruited to be a walk on at Kansas State by Mo Latimore before ending up at KU.
That’s good marketing language for a feel good, but the only real difference is once a kid is deemed a “preferred” walk on is he/she has a roster spot. My buddy’s son is a preferred walk-on at a D1 school. They didn’t ‘recruit’ him in the traditional sense, but told him he could have a spot on the scout squad if he walks on and keeps getting a 4.0. He’s listed as a preferred walk-on which gives parents a feel good, but the kid has no vision of playing in games. but he’s having fun and hanging around the team. That said, it’s the domain for rich kids that have parents that are friends of the program, which my buddy is. It has to be because these kids don’t get financial assistance from athletics anyway. More likely their parents are providing the financial assistance.

That’s how it works. Don’t get caught up in the word preferred.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 31st, 2020, 11:05 am

four-page thread on joe, a walk-on of some preference. interesting. but have we talked four pages about four-star selton miguel? i must have missed it.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... uel-211162
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 31st, 2020, 3:28 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 11:05 am
four-page thread on joe, a walk-on of some preference. interesting. but have we talked four pages about four-star selton miguel? i must have missed it.

We can’t go to work so what else do we have to do?

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 31st, 2020, 7:55 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 9:42 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:37 am

That’s good marketing language for a feel good, but the only real difference is once a kid is deemed a “preferred” walk on is he/she has a roster spot. My buddy’s son is a preferred walk-on at a D1 school. They didn’t ‘recruit’ him in the traditional sense, but told him he could have a spot on the scout squad if he walks on and keeps getting a 4.0. He’s listed as a preferred walk-on which gives parents a feel good, but the kid has no vision of playing in games. but he’s having fun and hanging around the team. That said, it’s the domain for rich kids that have parents that are friends of the program, which my buddy is. It has to be because these kids don’t get financial assistance from athletics anyway. More likely their parents are providing the financial assistance.

That’s how it works. Don’t get caught up in the word preferred.
If he was not recruited, he is not a preferred walk on imo. He is just a walk on.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 1st, 2020, 8:18 pm

In most cases a normal walk-on has to compete for a spot as a walk-on whereas a preferred walk-on is recruited for a guaranteed spot by the coaching staff. One of MJ's sons was a preferred walk-on for Weber at UI for example.

I don't have any particular expectations for Petrakis, but he does have some traits in his video that make one go "hmmmm." He has a nice shooting touch in general and a very nice touch around the basket. He isn't much of a leaper, but he seems to have some surprising length on defense. Again, I have no real expectations for him, but I won't be shocked if he turns out to be a bit of a contributor down the road. He is definitely a heck of a cheerleader on the bench if nothing else.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 11:05 am

Do you want me to start the Selton Miguel thread boss?