transfer nonsense getting completely out of control ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
epicsnyder

Re: transfer nonsense getting completely out of control ...

Post by epicsnyder » March 26th, 2020, 4:53 pm

katlander wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:47 am
It was Jari Wills and his example is an argument that these guys need to get a degree. I really can't determine what your point is.
:agree:
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 26th, 2020, 5:17 pm

epicsnyder wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:53 pm
katlander wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:47 am
It was Jari Wills and his example is an argument that these guys need to get a degree. I really can't determine what your point is.
The point was simple. Players come to a college to play ball just like they did 50 years ago. Lots of players at KSU back in the 70s never got their degree. The academic side of it is pushed a lot harder now than it was back then.

And their was money involved and bag men to distribute it back then too.

So now they have more freedom to transfer instead of being stuck playing the only college career they will ever have either sitting on the bench or playing for a coach they don't get along with.

And we fans think all these transfers are terrible while at the same time raising a fit over Love and Shadd not transferring.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 26th, 2020, 9:13 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:17 pm
epicsnyder wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:53 pm

The point was simple. Players come to a college to play ball just like they did 50 years ago. Lots of players at KSU back in the 70s never got their degree. The academic side of it is pushed a lot harder now than it was back then.

And their was money involved and bag men to distribute it back then too.

So now they have more freedom to transfer instead of being stuck playing the only college career they will ever have either sitting on the bench or playing for a coach they don't get along with.

And we fans think all these transfers are terrible while at the same time raising a fit over Love and Shadd not transferring.
Agree. My opinion of many, no most, college coaches is they are not the most upstanding bunch. I don’t think it is unusual for an 18 yo kid to get duped into a bad situation. So I say, let the players make decisions without penalty. It’s penalty enough to have to go somewhere else and start new again. Shoot, coaches can leave without penalty.

How would people like being locked in their job? Forced to be unemployed a year if you quit. Oh yeah, and your boss has virtually no oversight.

The old configuration made kids ripe for abuse. They need the scholarship and can’t transfer without penalty. And we’ve seen in recent years what lengths school and university administrations will go to cover up abuse. Disgusting stuff.

Academics is pushed more now....Maybe. There is oversight which forces academics to be a larger priority nowadays. That said, undergraduate degrees are easier to come by than ever and universities commonly set up pud programs for athletes to keep them eligible. You rarely see athletes in serious academic and professional programs like engineering or pre-med, or accounting, etc. The only program that leads to a professional credential that you commonly see athletes in is education.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2020, 9:30 am

so, now it's not the same as it was 50 years ago. glad we got beyond that. :fistbump:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 27th, 2020, 10:01 am

I don't think the frosh no-play rule would work now because of the kids themselves. They all think they are ready for big-time. It would have to be universal and the pros would have to stay out of the mix.

However, I think it was good for the frosh back then.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » March 27th, 2020, 10:26 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:01 am
I don't think the frosh no-play rule would work now because of the kids themselves. They all think they are ready for big-time. It would have to be universal and the pros would have to stay out of the mix.

However, I think it was good for the frosh back then.
The frosh no play thing is stupid and really serves no purpose. It really was about controlling the kids. Did they have freshmen teams (or was it JV) back then? I honestly have no clue as I was born a couple years before it ended.

As bad as that rule was, the 5/8 rule was probably just as bad. Imagine 5 guys leaving Kentucky and telling Cal that he can only give 3 scholarships the next year.

Mrylndcat

Post by Mrylndcat » March 27th, 2020, 10:57 am

Back in the early 60s, KSU had a "Freshman BB team."

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2020, 10:58 am

they were jv teams at the time made up mostly of freshmen. the change came to mbb and football in 1972 at a time when liberal thoughts about individual liberation were taking form as the vietnam war was winding down.

but on the other side, some claimed that freshmen eligibility simply allowed universities to "exploit" black athletes another year and that was the driver. everyone knew it would lower costs.

coaches came down on both sides of the argument. some felt many athletes needed a year to get academics in order. of course, that's when we had student-athletes rather than athlete-students.

the idea of freshman not being eligible has resurfaced as recently as 2015 mostly due to the nba raiding college hoops. but it died for lack of interest and legal nightmares.

this is just another example of the "priorities" debate that often surrounds collegiate sports.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 27th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Go back to 1 year scholarships