transfer nonsense getting completely out of control ...

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
learnin
Moderator
Posts: 12266
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 747 times
Been liked: 413 times

Re: transfer nonsense getting completely out of control ...

Post by learnin » March 25th, 2020, 10:46 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:09 am
epicsnyder wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm
All this is doing is shining an even brighter spotlight on the fact that so many of these kids have no business being on a COLLEGE campus. They have no interest whatsoever in the academics at the SCHOOL. They all think they are going to get paid. All they want to do is ball. So they jump around now trying to find minutes. And a "player's coach" that will let them do whatever, whenever they want. It is systematically ruining COLLEGE athletics and it is a joke. And quite frankly, very sad.

Can you IMAGINE the bag men behind the scenes right now and how much money is being presented under the table?!?!?!
Its been that way for 50 years, Transferring or not transferring doesn't change that.

Many of these players do end up getting degrees and if they transfer and have to sit out a year, the chance of that happening is enhanced.

I don't see a problem with players who think either they are better off at a different institution. Maybe it is a bad decision but it is their decision.
Why would we want a player on our roster who doesn't want to be there.

IE: We are fine and everyone hoping Shadd transfers. How about when Angel decided to transfer.

Typical fan reactions:
Shadd - (Not good enough even though we gave him a scholarship and needs to transfer out.)
Angel - (That has to be a bad move for him. Must have somebody at Miami paying him to transfer. etc.)
Nah, Angel didn't get any money....he just wanted to be close to his mom so he could help her with raising the children. :lol:

As with everything.....balance. Of course, if a player is sitting on the bench 90% of the time, transferring is probably best for him and the school. He's probably going to transfer down to get more playing time. I wouldn't want to spend hours upon hours practicing and not getting to play.

But, if a young man is getting 10-20 minutes per game, that might be another question. I think a lot of coaches try to use as many players as they can to keep fresh legs on the floor and keep players happy. If a young man is getting 10-15 minutes per game, and doesn't gain more as he goes through school, he probably isn't capable of bigger things and ought to see the writing on the wall.

tmcats
Posts: 7510
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 1013 times
Been liked: 712 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 25th, 2020, 11:00 am

no issue with a player going from south dakota to txt for his senior year. makes complete sense. what i don't get is mass movement from places like iowa state, missouri, wichita, mississippi state, and more so last year moss's from iowa to ku. san diego state's best player came from washington state. it's illogical. and ya, maybe there's bagmen at play, i don't know. but it's strange.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Horses_n_Hoops
Posts: 69
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 6:37 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » March 25th, 2020, 11:51 am

tmcats wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:00 am
no issue with a player going from south dakota to txt for his senior year. makes complete sense. what i don't get is mass movement from places like iowa state, missouri, wichita, mississippi state, and more so last year moss's from iowa to ku. san diego state's best player came from washington state. it's illogical. and ya, maybe there's bagmen at play, i don't know. but it's strange.

Imagine wanting to leave a storied program like Washington State. The amount of recent success for Wazzu has been downright incredible!

tmcats
Posts: 7510
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 1013 times
Been liked: 712 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 25th, 2020, 1:15 pm

touche' on wazzu. it's certainly not like leaving iowa for lawrence your senior year when you're leaving a potential top 10 program for a fbi investigation and likely ncaa penalities.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

ToledoCat#3
Posts: 108
Joined: March 22nd, 2020, 10:37 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 25th, 2020, 4:15 pm

I think back to when I started college in 1960. At that time, freshmen couldn't even be on the varsity. KSU's freshmen played KU, MU, and NU's freshmen teams, plus a lot of junior college teams. The frosh game was the warmup game before the varsity.

I think that system worked well. The frosh got by BB experience and academic experience and maturity before they were thrown into varsity play.

I know that system wouldn't work today because of a lot of factors -- players, coaches, AAU teams, etc. --- but it did work well back in the day.

epicsnyder
Posts: 856
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 10:55 am
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by epicsnyder » March 25th, 2020, 5:37 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:09 am
epicsnyder wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm
All this is doing is shining an even brighter spotlight on the fact that so many of these kids have no business being on a COLLEGE campus. They have no interest whatsoever in the academics at the SCHOOL. They all think they are going to get paid. All they want to do is ball. So they jump around now trying to find minutes. And a "player's coach" that will let them do whatever, whenever they want. It is systematically ruining COLLEGE athletics and it is a joke. And quite frankly, very sad.

Can you IMAGINE the bag men behind the scenes right now and how much money is being presented under the table?!?!?!
Its been that way for 50 years, Transferring or not transferring doesn't change that.

Many of these players do end up getting degrees and if they transfer and have to sit out a year, the chance of that happening is enhanced.

I don't see a problem with players who think either they are better off at a different institution. Maybe it is a bad decision but it is their decision.
Why would we want a player on our roster who doesn't want to be there.

IE: We are fine and everyone hoping Shadd transfers. How about when Angel decided to transfer.

Typical fan reactions:
Shadd - (Not good enough even though we gave him a scholarship and needs to transfer out.)
Angel - (That has to be a bad move for him. Must have somebody at Miami paying him to transfer. etc.)

Not at ALL like it is now.

Hypeman
Posts: 1371
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Hypeman » March 26th, 2020, 10:36 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 4:15 pm
I think back to when I started college in 1960. At that time, freshmen couldn't even be on the varsity. KSU's freshmen played KU, MU, and NU's freshmen teams, plus a lot of junior college teams. The frosh game was the warmup game before the varsity.

I think that system worked well. The frosh got by BB experience and academic experience and maturity before they were thrown into varsity play.

I know that system wouldn't work today because of a lot of factors -- players, coaches, AAU teams, etc. --- but it did work well back in the day.
Do u mean it wouldn’t work because of all the money? Let’s get rid of the money and go back. 18 year old kids could use a year of maturity.

xtrawildcat
Posts: 4939
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 189 times

Post by xtrawildcat » March 26th, 2020, 11:29 am

epicsnyder wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:37 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:09 am

Its been that way for 50 years, Transferring or not transferring doesn't change that.

Many of these players do end up getting degrees and if they transfer and have to sit out a year, the chance of that happening is enhanced.

I don't see a problem with players who think either they are better off at a different institution. Maybe it is a bad decision but it is their decision.
Why would we want a player on our roster who doesn't want to be there.

IE: We are fine and everyone hoping Shadd transfers. How about when Angel decided to transfer.

Typical fan reactions:
Shadd - (Not good enough even though we gave him a scholarship and needs to transfer out.)
Angel - (That has to be a bad move for him. Must have somebody at Miami paying him to transfer. etc.)

Not at ALL like it is now.
I was not talking about transfers. I was referring to the fact these guys come here to play basketball.
For example. Remember Kari wills who played here in the 70s. Killed in a shooting in Ottawa is a few years after he left ksu. Ask him where his degree was.
Did Rolando leave ksu with a degree in hand or did he come back later to complete it.
How much did wilt get paid to go to ku.
He. Transferred to the Globetrotters.

katlander
Posts: 4779
Joined: June 3rd, 2015, 12:44 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 250 times

Post by katlander » March 26th, 2020, 11:47 am

It was Jari Wills and his example is an argument that these guys need to get a degree. I really can't determine what your point is.

User avatar
kcsinger
Posts: 329
Joined: September 4th, 2013, 3:03 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by kcsinger » March 26th, 2020, 12:08 pm

katlander wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:47 am
It was Jari Wills and his example is an argument that these guys need to get a degree. I really can't determine what your point is.
Wow: I had forgot about Jari, he lived 2 doors down from me. Was intimidating as hell looking but one of the nicest people you could ever meet. If I remember correctly he was a bouncer at a club and got caught in the middle of a fight and killed.

Post Reply