D.Gordon

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: D.Gordon

Post by katlander » March 24th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Its pretty hard to discuss D. Gordon's play without involving the contributions of the incoming freshmen. I think his play will improve if the incoming freshman are good teammates. If they have guys who bring confidence, positivity and a team mentality it should be better for everyone. I think D. Gordon and the other sophomores will be more likely to emerge as improved players and team leaders if the freshman are good teammates. I think all 3 sophomores, DG included, have leadership potential. The big question is what was wrong with this years team that resulted in these guys not improving as much as expected so far? Hopefully next year's environment will be much more conducive to player development. I like D. Gordon a lot and think he will be one of our better players over the next 3 years.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 24th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 1:31 pm
I dont think anyone is saying D Gordon will be the best player on our team next year. Maybe he will, maybe he wont. I'm optimistic that these incoming freshman will be great players, but I'm not dismissing the fact that some of the players currently on our roster can become great players as well. You should be the last one to gripe about your thread getting hijacked. You and tmcats turn just about every thread on here into a pissing contest that gets derailed after about 3 on topic posts. We get it, you like to hear yourself talk (write). Still after that Pulitzer? Eh?
Chill out. It's a basketball forum. There's a lot more for you and everyone else to get bent out of shape about. And I don't need to chase another Pulitzer. Two is plenty.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 2:57 pm

oh boy! :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 24th, 2020, 3:04 pm

I'd like to hear the opinions of Gor and Puff on D.Gordon. I respect their opinions over others who tend to overhype a player who averaged 6 points a game last season.

I think I recall Gor giving a reasonable account of his game ... ie, a good player, but not a future star. That's kind of where I am. A good role player who gets steals, hustles, and hits the occasional 3-pointer. But the weakest link in his game is his ball-handling. For a guy who will need to play the 2-guard, that's a huge weakness. Can he improve on that? Who knows.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fierce competition that will take place next season between McGuirl, D.Gordon and Selton Miguel. Mike made some great plays in our final game, that I don't think D.Gordon could have made. One play required an aggressive move to the basket, and an incredible pass from that. The other required a guarded jump shot from 3.

If we play two of those three at the same time, then that's going to be a very short lineup. Minutes will be hard to come by next season at the 2-position. Not a bad problem to have, but it's not going to be handed to D.Gordon. He'll have to earn it.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 24th, 2020, 3:08 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 2:57 pm
oh boy! :|
I think you were mentioned as a fellow agitator. What say you Mr. Italics? Focus, focus, focus. It's not about responding to me all the time. Take care of your own house.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 3:21 pm

I think you were mentioned as a fellow agitator.

ya, not sure how i got dragged into your little mess here. i commented above without derailing anything. the poster must have had a bad experience along the way. :?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 24th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Seems like most good teams have a defensive stopper. Usually an athletic 6-3 to 6-6 guy who can cover a wide range of players. I can see him filling that role for us. Not sure if any of the newcomers are that good on defense.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 24th, 2020, 5:58 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:04 pm
I'd like to hear the opinions of Gor and Puff on D.Gordon. I respect their opinions over others who tend to overhype a player who averaged 6 points a game last season.

I think I recall Gor giving a reasonable account of his game ... ie, a good player, but not a future star. That's kind of where I am. A good role player who gets steals, hustles, and hits the occasional 3-pointer. But the weakest link in his game is his ball-handling. For a guy who will need to play the 2-guard, that's a huge weakness. Can he improve on that? Who knows.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fierce competition that will take place next season between McGuirl, D.Gordon and Selton Miguel. Mike made some great plays in our final game, that I don't think D.Gordon could have made. One play required an aggressive move to the basket, and an incredible pass from that. The other required a guarded jump shot from 3.

If we play two of those three at the same time, then that's going to be a very short lineup. Minutes will be hard to come by next season at the 2-position. Not a bad problem to have, but it's not going to be handed to D.Gordon. He'll have to earn it.

Dave here’s my take on D. Gordon. And let me preface my remarks by saying it’s based on what we’ve all seen. His game play. I did not attend any practices this year so take my opinion cautiously. Lol. I will tell you from many years of experience that I can tell you a ton more about a players skills and attitude watching (or coaching) a couple 2-3 hour intense practices than watching every second of all the games. Especially like Gordon who actually played sporadic minutes.

But my take is he’s definitely super athletic. A tremendous offensive rebounder with a nose for the ball. He’s got some hiccups in his shot but I don’t think he’s one that will have to totally be broken down and restart from step 1. He needs a new tune up and not a complete engine overhaul. And I do like his attitude and desire to learn from what’s observable in games. But as I said I could tell a ton more from watching tough practices. I wish I saw the skill level to be a go to guy though. That’s just not there yet. Not a great shooter or get it to the rim guy. So my take is if he sort of levels off he’s a decent role guy for the team. 8-10 pt guy because of him being able to pick up the ‘trash’ points. But able to carry a team even for a couple possessions? Not there yet and I’m doubtful that he’ll ever be that guy. But his attitude and desire still gives him that chance.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » March 24th, 2020, 7:33 pm

On the issue of leadership, not skills, I note the D. Gordon was apparently the guy who promoted the idea of a start for McAtee. In his HS career he was definitely the leader on a team that went a long way (state championship) w/o an overwhelming edge in talent. However it plays out I'm very very glad to have him. If he's the weak link on a team it's going to be a hell of a team.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 24th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Puffdad wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 5:58 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Dave here’s my take on D. Gordon. And let me preface my remarks by saying it’s based on what we’ve all seen. His game play. I did not attend any practices this year so take my opinion cautiously. Lol. I will tell you from many years of experience that I can tell you a ton more about a players skills and attitude watching (or coaching) a couple 2-3 hour intense practices than watching every second of all the games. Especially like Gordon who actually played sporadic minutes.

But my take is he’s definitely super athletic. A tremendous offensive rebounder with a nose for the ball. He’s got some hiccups in his shot but I don’t think he’s one that will have to totally be broken down and restart from step 1. He needs a new tune up and not a complete engine overhaul. And I do like his attitude and desire to learn from what’s observable in games. But as I said I could tell a ton more from watching tough practices. I wish I saw the skill level to be a go to guy though. That’s just not there yet. Not a great shooter or get it to the rim guy. So my take is if he sort of levels off he’s a decent role guy for the team. 8-10 pt guy because of him being able to pick up the ‘trash’ points. But able to carry a team even for a couple possessions? Not there yet and I’m doubtful that he’ll ever be that guy. But his attitude and desire still gives him that chance.
Puff, I couldn't have said it better. You are spot on. To expect more than that is a disservice to Gordon. I know he has fans that see greatness in him, and that's fine. I just think we have better options coming in. I watched quite a bit of video on Miguel, and think that he could be really special. And he'll play the same position as Gordon. Selton is a "warrior". We really need that kind of player right now.