COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Brad Korn to SEMO

Post by stlcatfan » March 23rd, 2020, 11:47 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:21 pm

There aren’t really that many. Current coaches would just be Brad Korn and Matt Painter.

Chris Lowery was at one point before becoming and assistant again. Alan Major was an assistant under Weber and then became the HC at Charlotte (he was meh, some big wins but a losing record).

He’s really had a pretty loyal staff over the years.
Lowery was the darling of the coaching world for a period of time. He had a couple down years and my understanding is that all the misfortune with his son etc. took a toll on him. We’re probably very lucky to have someone of his calibre on the assistant coaching staff.
I remember years ago when Lowery was in the midst of his successful seasons at SIU, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had a big write-up on him as a young up and comer coach. I remember thinking at the time how it would be cool if Lowery ended up at K-State as a head coach one day. At the time, I never thought he would end up here, but I am glad he did, even if as an assistant coach.

Good luck to Coach Korn.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » March 24th, 2020, 8:36 am

Good luck to him. I hope Bruce goes out of his way to bring in a guy that can turn this weakness area around. Spend some money and bring in a quality bigman position coach.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 24th, 2020, 9:57 am

i hope shane southwell is the guy, big man or not. i know people here keep beating that drum but shane brought a certain mental toughness and attitude that was missing this year.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 24th, 2020, 11:01 am

What is Jabbar doing these days? He could teach Bradford the sky hook. :D

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

tmcats wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 9:57 am
i hope shane southwell is the guy, big man or not. i know people here keep beating that drum but shane brought a certain mental toughness and attitude that was missing this year.
I would be okay with that. It seemed like the team lost something after he and Frazier left.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 24th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Hypeman wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Horses_n_Hoops wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 9:21 pm

There aren’t really that many. Current coaches would just be Brad Korn and Matt Painter.

Chris Lowery was at one point before becoming and assistant again. Alan Major was an assistant under Weber and then became the HC at Charlotte (he was meh, some big wins but a losing record).

He’s really had a pretty loyal staff over the years.
Lowery was the darling of the coaching world for a period of time. He had a couple down years and my understanding is that all the misfortune with his son etc. took a toll on him. We’re probably very lucky to have someone of his calibre on the assistant coaching staff.

Good for Korn. Didn’t he play at Southern Illinois, just down the road from SEMO. Cape Girardeau is a cool town too other than the sweltering summer heat.
Korn played for Weber at Southern Illinois, and for a year under Painter. Coached as an assistant at Southern Illinois under Lowery. Coached as an assistant at Missouri State for 3 years prior to joining KSU.

Weber seems to like to hire former players. We all know Lowery played at Southern Illinois for Weber as was an assistant there under Weber, an assistant at Illinois under Weber as well a HC at Southern Illinois.

Chester Fraizer, an assistant at KSU last year before leaving for Virginia Tech this year played for Weber at Illinois and was a GA at Illinois after that.

Jermaine Henderson on the other hand, did not play or coach with Weber, but he did coach alongside Brad Korn at Missouri State. I highly doubt he follows Korn to SEMO as that would be a step down, but have to wonder how long he sticks around since he has only been at KSU for 1 year and his connection to KSU was originally Korn.

I doubt Grad Assistants Jordan Henriquez or Mason Schoen are ready for full time assistant jobs. Did Southwell get enough experience as a assistant coach for 1 year at Robert Morris to return? Who will coach the bigs?

So how about some other former players?
Brian Randle played for Weber at Illinois. Spent 9 years playing international ball. He is now an development coach with the Timberwolves for 1 season. Is an assistant job in college a step down from that?
Dee Brown played for Weber at Illinois. Was a 2nd round NBA pick and played in the NBA and international ball for 9 years. He is now an assistant coach at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) for the last 2 years. He would bring some NBA cred to the coaching staff, but is he ready for KSU and who would coach the bigs as he is more of a guards coach.

Side note, Jerrance Howard, now an assistant for Self at KU, played for 1 year under Weber and first coached for 3 years at Illinois under Weber. Not saying he would leave KU for KSU, but if he ever becomes a HC, wouldn't that be part of Weber's HC tree since that is where his first job was at?

Tracy Webster was an interim HC at DePaul for a year (16 games), but spent most of his time as an assistant all over.

Chester Fraizer (VT assistant) and Alvin Brooks (Baylor assistant) would be 2 more that could eventually be HC under Weber's tree.

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » March 24th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Measured by team success, Southwell had a good first year at Robert Morris as they won their conference tourney and would have been in the NCAA tourney.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » March 25th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Any way to keep JO on for the big men and get Pullen to accept a position? From the article on the other site(that's free to read) he is trying to get back to the US but has been stuck over seas for now. He wants to keep playing but ultimately wants to coach and doesn't know how this will all play out with the virus. Could we possibly get him to take a position now? The call needs to be made. We have a position open. He would be a great person for the kids to look up to and a legend at the university and said he would love to coach at KSU some day. Seems like a win-win to me.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 25th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Watutalkaboutwillis wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Any way to keep JO on for the big men and get Pullen to accept a position? From the article on the other site(that's free to read) he is trying to get back to the US but has been stuck over seas for now. He wants to keep playing but ultimately wants to coach and doesn't know how this will all play out with the virus. Could we possibly get him to take a position now? The call needs to be made. We have a position open. He would be a great person for the kids to look up to and a legend at the university and said he would love to coach at KSU some day. Seems like a win-win to me.
Pullen would have to build his coaching experience first. I'm not sure how the grad assistant roles work in that if they have to enroll in classes or not. And he may not be the biggest fan of Weber either.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 26th, 2020, 9:34 am

Why is there something rather than nothing?