TCU Game Thread and Notes. A Win/Win Situation

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: TCU Game Thread and Notes. A Win/Win Situation

Post by tmcats » March 12th, 2020, 11:35 am

x has been very defensive when carti has been thrown under the bus by fans. i hope to god he's back next season.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 12th, 2020, 12:16 pm

learnin wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 11:15 am
RichardZ wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:39 am
I see most agree that McGuirl was the star of the show yesterday.

Amazing what draws accolades for this team

3 for 8 from the field
0 for 3 from 3 point
5 rebounds
8 assists

Total points: 8
The 8 assists mean quite a bit in last night's game. His three 2 pointers came at crucial times in the game. We, generally, miss those 2 pointers and that's generally why we end up losing.
What's drawing the accolades is NOT his final stats, it's WHEN he stepped up and delivered a win for us! That's been the missing element in this season.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 12th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Puffdad wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 12:13 am
pulitzerdave wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:43 pm

But pages 8-10 were pretty good!
It’s like somebody flipped the switch! It went from all bad to all good!! It’s actually pretty funny to read! 😆
Not all good. Me and another poster were still seeing it as a like a pile of crap, just one we won because TCU is also crappy. I'll take a winning pile of crap though.
Last edited by wild@nite on March 12th, 2020, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » March 12th, 2020, 12:19 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Puffdad wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 12:13 am

It’s like somebody flipped the switch! It went from all bad to all good!! It’s actually pretty funny to read! 😆
Not all good. Me and another poster were still seeing it as a like if crap, just one we won because TCU is also crappy.
gawd I love fan posts!

the only reason any team wins is 'cause the other team sucked and gave it away.

now, who here realized that KSU is the #10 seed in a ten team tournament?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm

learnin wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 2:06 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 1:16 am
Diarra had 3 steals, 3 assists, 4 turnovers with two of them on what I thought were questionable offensive foul calls. 5 of 14 from the field for 13 points. Played really good defense. Wasn't his most efficient game but hope those who are advocating he leave were just caught up in the emotion of the game. IMO, we don't win that game without him.

https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 9_book.PDF

It just seems his lackadaisical passes come at the worst times. I, too, hope Cartier returns because, through all the negatives, he brings some punch and makes defenses have to worry about his drives and threes if they play off him.
I don't want to see him back. His senior year could be worse than this one in terms of thinking he's the one who needs to make plays, when we may have better options by next season. Frankly, I'd rather see the ball in Sloan's hands, or an emerging freshman than Cartier's in an end of the game scenario. I don't like his attitude. Do you think this disaster of a season has something to do with the lack of leadership with the upper classmen? I do. There is no doubt that Cartier possess great ability, but the Jekyll/Hyde of KSU basketball should move on. We need a fresh start. I'm willing to go through growing pains with this youth movement, than watch a flurry of one-hand passes, and lackadaisical play by a senior.

ChemEngCat
Has thanked: 0

Post by ChemEngCat » March 12th, 2020, 12:28 pm

I absolutely hope Carti returns next year. We need his experience, his shot creation, his athleticism, etc. I think we will see continued improvement from Sloan and we have a potential good freshman point guard coming in. I think that if Carti doesn't have to play the point guard position as much, he will flourish in his senior year.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » March 12th, 2020, 1:06 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm
learnin wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 2:06 am

It just seems his lackadaisical passes come at the worst times. I, too, hope Cartier returns because, through all the negatives, he brings some punch and makes defenses have to worry about his drives and threes if they play off him.
I don't want to see him back. His senior year could be worse than this one in terms of thinking he's the one who needs to make plays, when we may have better options by next season. Frankly, I'd rather see the ball in Sloan's hands, or an emerging freshman than Cartier's in an end of the game scenario. I don't like his attitude. Do you think this disaster of a season has something to do with the lack of leadership with the upper classmen? I do. There is no doubt that Cartier possess great ability, but the Jekyll/Hyde of KSU basketball should move on. We need a fresh start. I'm willing to go through growing pains with this youth movement, than watch a flurry of one-hand passes, and lackadaisical play by a senior.

The thing is dave, man, it shouldn't be that difficult to clean him up and get rid of the sloppy crap. I get not wanting to stifle his creative ability to make plays, and I generally don't mind when he is trying to create. Two examples last night. In the second half he penetrated and got deep and tried to lay it off to Stockard, but honestly there wasn't much of a chance to complete the pass. Fortunately the ball went off TCU and we got it back. Not a great play and not a high % pass, but can maybe live with it considering he can make plays when he penetrates. However, what I am tired of is the stuff like the possession in the 1st half, he just lazily one handed lightly flips the ball on a bounce pass from high elbow to high elbow and Sloan had to do everything short of homicide to bust in front of the defender and ward him off and get the catch. It was purely just a lazy, play, almost like he was just checking the ball back up top during a pickup game or something. Just maddening. But to me, that stuff could be cleaned up. You make a sloppy, one-handed pass, you come out of the game, no questions asked.

Obviously he has a ton of confidence and thinks he can make all of those plays, that was obvious from his tirade in Lubbock yelling "I can make it," but upperclassmen have to be a combination of playmaker/solid and fundamental.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 12th, 2020, 1:09 pm

carti's the best offensive weapon on this team. to suggest we'd be better without him going forward is hogwash. but it's easy to say now isn't it, and then when he comes back better next year to say: see like i said, he's improved over last year and he needed to.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » March 12th, 2020, 1:16 pm

We will win 3-5 more games next year if Cartier comes back. He's a difference maker. As much as I like out incoming guards, I still think a 5th year Cartier, with his particular talents, will be a big boost to this team.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » March 12th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Well, I hope Carti comes back to, but to say we win 4-5 more games with him or that we absolutely have to have him because he is our best offensive weapon, I would have to know a lot more about his behind the scenes impact on the team before I made those conclusions because many times I have seen a guy that just, for whatever reason and sometimes not even of his own doing, was actually a detriment to the team, even when they were talented and the "best player."

I can understand why tmcats and joey said what they said about having him back, but I also understand dave's opinion. None of us know what impact he has in the lockerroom and on the overall pulse of the team. I was a part of a team just last year that had a similar situation. Two years ago we had some talented players, and they were good kids, but for whatever reason they just really weren't 100% committed to being great. They just had other things on their mind, they wanted to party, etc. So last year they decide not to play, like three returning starters on what was not a very good team and a team that didn't have much chemistry at all, they decide not to play as seniors and we had to replace them with sophomores that were really inexperienced but were go-getters all the way. We started really slow, but by the end of the year that team with those sophomores was light years better than the team the year before. None of those kids were bad kids, none were "cancers," they just were not 100% committed and in the end, we were better off without them. And guess what, this year all the sophomores are juniors with tons of game experience.