Been liked: 494 times

Post by Puffdad » February 26th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Good article.

PurpleOnWhite
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 110 times

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » February 26th, 2020, 5:21 pm

I don’t know the NCAA process (e.g., timing of charges then responses then...) that governs this sordid affair. If the NCAA was able AND willing (doubtful), it would be apropos if the NCAA could somehow embarrass KU leading up to the Final 4 (assuming the beakers survive) by, for instance, holding a hearing, issuing a press release, releasing evidence, issuing a final verdict, etc. It won’t happen but it would make for great TV.

AJcat7755
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 247 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm

This all assumes that the NCAA has enough evidence to go after KU and that they will actually go after KU if they do have a case and that they win their case against KU as KU is likely to fight whatever the NCAA does. There will be talk about it until either the NCAA drops it, or goes after KU with sanctions. Right now it's a big unknown that just hangs around that will create articles like this and will likely be talked about when KU plays in the tournament.

However I am surprised the author ignored the possible analogies to KU's 1987-88 team. They won the NCAA title that year, but the NCAA found they had recruiting violations in providing potential transfer Vincent Askew money to see his ill grandmother. Larry Brown left for the Spurs and KU was put on probation for the following year.

Back to the current time, there are alleged recruiting violations, KU has a good shot to win a title, and Gregg Popovich with the Spurs is 71 years old and has been hinting at retiring after the season. Now Self has denied rumors of going to the Spurs, owned by his friend R.C. Buford, multiple times, but coaches rarely ever talk about positions that aren't even open, while they are currently coaching another team.

How crazy would it be to be a very similar result?

Puffdad
Has liked: 340 times

Post by Puffdad » February 26th, 2020, 6:11 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm
This all assumes that the NCAA has enough evidence to go after KU and that they will actually go after KU if they do have a case and that they win their case against KU as KU is likely to fight whatever the NCAA does. There will be talk about it until either the NCAA drops it, or goes after KU with sanctions. Right now it's a big unknown that just hangs around that will create articles like this and will likely be talked about when KU plays in the tournament.

However I am surprised the author ignored the possible analogies to KU's 1987-88 team. They won the NCAA title that year, but the NCAA found they had recruiting violations in providing potential transfer Vincent Askew money to see his ill grandmother. Larry Brown left for the Spurs and KU was put on probation for the following year.

Back to the current time, there are alleged recruiting violations, KU has a good shot to win a title, and Gregg Popovich with the Spurs is 71 years old and has been hinting at retiring after the season. Now Self has denied rumors of going to the Spurs, owned by his friend R.C. Buford, multiple times, but coaches rarely ever talk about positions that aren't even open, while they are currently coaching another team.

My personal opinion is that the NBA would drive Self insane. The inmates run the asylum.
These users liked Puffdad for the post:
learnin (February 26th, 2020, 10:07 pm)

AJcat7755
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 247 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 26th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Puffdad wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:11 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm

My personal opinion is that the NBA would drive Self insane. The inmates run the asylum.
I was thinking it wouldn't be because Self wanted to be a NBA coach, but to be more of an escape to the NBA to keep making $$ and keep coaching if a show clause was given to Self. Then after a few years in the NBA, he could return to college after the show clause had expired.

Again, it was a bunch of hypotheticals that was more interesting to think about the analogy and the story to go with it then the actual probability that all of it would happen. I'm still not even sure the NCAA will do anything to start with.
These users liked AJcat7755 for the post:
hilltopwildcat (February 26th, 2020, 11:12 pm)

Puffdad
Has liked: 340 times

Post by Puffdad » February 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm

I agree that I doubt that the NCAA will do anything. But I still don’t think Self can swallow enough pride to coach in the NBA. He might try it but I predict it won’t turn out pretty.

tmcats
Has liked: 1020 times
Been liked: 714 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 26th, 2020, 6:26 pm

the process is unfolding. first, the fbi investigation. then, the ncaa is given many of the facts that flowed from it. on that basis, it issue its allegations. ku is now in the process of responding to same. after which the ncaa rules, supposedly. the ruling was due sometime after the tournament.

this is yet another opportunity for the crooked blue blood to prove its strength or the ncaa to show its mettle, which would certainly be plowing new ground for the organization. maybe it's time they recognize they have to plow the dirt under to help something better grow. how it turns is a complete mystery.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

learnin
Has liked: 753 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by learnin » February 26th, 2020, 10:28 pm

There have to be some ramifications from this FBI thing that exposed the corruptness of college basketball. The NCAA has to do something and they have the KU coaches on text, phone, etc., begging for favors from the shoe company execs. A blueblood has to pay a price in this whole sordid mess and the nation has read the transcripts. The national press has commented, considerably, about the KU corruption. I mean just look at this USA Today piece. If the NCAA doesn't act, here, there will be a lot of negative press to follow. The only question will be whether it's a hand slap or serious punishment.

Self is extremely giddy about this team's success. He was even jumping up and down in the locker room after the Baylor win. I get the impression he thinks a championship game or championship might mitigate any punishment that might be coming after the season. Or perhaps he thinks it might save his job if there are harsh punishments down the road. But, then again, maybe he just wants to stick it in everyone's face after all the bad press.

Force any one? It does seem as if KU has found a winning formula and this team is going to be very hard to beat without some kind of unconscious performance by some team along the way. I find it kind of amusing that it all is coming to a head in March with the very real possibility that KU could win this thing and then what does the NCAA do?

hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 26th, 2020, 11:22 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Puffdad wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:11 pm

I was thinking it wouldn't be because Self wanted to be a NBA coach, but to be more of an escape to the NBA to keep making $$ and keep coaching if a show clause was given to Self. Then after a few years in the NBA, he could return to college after the show clause had expired.

Again, it was a bunch of hypotheticals that was more interesting to think about the analogy and the story to go with it then the actual probability that all of it would happen. I'm still not even sure the NCAA will do anything to start with.
They won't. Book it.