Help is on the way

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Hypeman
Posts: 1607
Joined: December 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Help is on the way

Post by Hypeman » February 25th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I’m not getting pumped up over a 3 second highlight. Kids nowadays scour their videos to make the highlight clips to post online. They can be very misleading.

I’m also not getting excited about the prospects next season if we have a bunch of Frosh playing significant minutes. There is some blessing there in that they get experience and we will have a good group of upperclassmen in the following 2 seasons. But I’m very cautious about next year.

JOKKO
Posts: 496
Joined: January 24th, 2018, 12:14 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by JOKKO » February 25th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Hypeman wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:13 pm
I’m not getting pumped up over a 3 second highlight. Kids nowadays scour their videos to make the highlight clips to post online. They can be very misleading.

I’m also not getting excited about the prospects next season if we have a bunch of Frosh playing significant minutes. There is some blessing there in that they get experience and we will have a good group of upperclassmen in the following 2 seasons. But I’m very cautious about next year.




You should be cautious. I am too. This snippet aside, Miguels #s against top competition do look great, as do his other highlights, but like you said, all kids can look great in "highlights".

These kids coming in are more than likely 4 year players which is a good thing, but it also means the fans will need to be patient. The sophomores are going to need to make a huge leap next year for this team to be competitive!

I have zero doubt that KSU will be preseason picked 10...but I don't know what all the other B12 teams have coming in/returning.

AJcat7755
Posts: 3963
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 11:29 am
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 268 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm

JOKKO wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Hypeman wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:13 pm
I’m not getting pumped up over a 3 second highlight. Kids nowadays scour their videos to make the highlight clips to post online. They can be very misleading.

I’m also not getting excited about the prospects next season if we have a bunch of Frosh playing significant minutes. There is some blessing there in that they get experience and we will have a good group of upperclassmen in the following 2 seasons. But I’m very cautious about next year.




You should be cautious. I am too. This snippet aside, Miguels #s against top competition do look great, as do his other highlights, but like you said, all kids can look great in "highlights".

These kids coming in are more than likely 4 year players which is a good thing, but it also means the fans will need to be patient. The sophomores are going to need to make a huge leap next year for this team to be competitive!

I have zero doubt that KSU will be preseason picked 10...but I don't know what all the other B12 teams have coming in/returning.
OSU is going to lose their 3 of their top 4 scorers of McGriff (11.6), Waters (10.8) and Dziagwa (8.6). They sill still have Likekele (10.8) and Anei (8.0), but no one else that is scoring more then 5 points per game.

ISU will lose 3 of their top 5 scorers of Nixon (9.0), Jacobson (7.3) and Haliburton (15.2) who was leading the team until his injury and will likely just go pro. They will still have Young (9.6), Bolton (14.5), Lewis (6.0) and Conditt (7.5)

TCU will lose 3 of their top 5 scorers for Bane (15.6), Grayer (7.0) and Dennis (6.0) but return Nembhard (12.2) and Samuel (10.5).

Comparatively speaking, KSU losing only Sneed (14.3) and Mawien (7.5) seems like the least of the losses. But KSU doesn't have the best of the returners in Diarra (12.9), McGuirl (6.4) and D. Gordon (6.2). D. Gordon does rank as the 6th highest PPG freshman though with Murphy (9th) and A. Goron (11th) close behind.

If looking at the previous trio of Brown (25.8), Wade (26.4) and Stokes (26.8), they played more minutes per game then the current freshman trio of Murphy (24.7), D Gordon (23.5), A Gordon (18.8).

xtrawildcat
Posts: 5388
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 237 times

Post by xtrawildcat » February 25th, 2020, 6:48 pm

learnin wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:48 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm
We need a guy or guys that can make plays and make shots. If Sneed was making shots and we were winning, we would be praising his leadership.

Having a team hold together and keep playing hard while losing games also requires leadership. I don't see guys dogging it, jacking up shots to get their own, etc. I see too many turnovers, too many missed shots and too much dropping off shooters to help inside. A leader can not correct any of that unless you have players with the skills to do it in the first place.
I think some of the turnovers spring from frustration of trying to find someone who can knock a shot down.
Number one thing we need to do tonight is value every single possession. You can't force things to happen. Make the play that is there and don't force the ones that are not.

Turnovers against Texas came from three or four moving screens. Three bad passes into traffic by Sloan. Sloan being casual on a pass he got from Carti. McGuirl stepping out of bounds twice. Bad pass into traffic by McGuirl. Three freshman type bad passes by A Gordon. A few typical Mak and Stockard turnovers from bringing the ball down or not going up fast enough with a shot.

Almost all of these were from poor decisions or poor execution, ie stepping out of bounds and moving screens.

I don't see trying throwing a weak pass to a player coming off a screen as due to frustration. I see it as not thinking and valuing every possession.

We got lots of open shots in this game and didn't make enough but the turnovers were just bad decisions for the most part.

One thing I'll be watching tonight is the number of unforced turnovers. If we get trapped and give up the ball that is one thing. Throwing a pass into Mak on a fast break when he has a defender all over him is another or stepping out of bounds on the side lines.

Diarra played pretty error free against Tx and so did Sneed. We need that from Sloan and the rest of the crew to have a chance. Plus make some free throws.

xtrawildcat
Posts: 5388
Joined: February 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 237 times

Post by xtrawildcat » February 25th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Hypeman wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:13 pm
I’m not getting pumped up over a 3 second highlight. Kids nowadays scour their videos to make the highlight clips to post online. They can be very misleading.

I’m also not getting excited about the prospects next season if we have a bunch of Frosh playing significant minutes. There is some blessing there in that they get experience and we will have a good group of upperclassmen in the following 2 seasons. But I’m very cautious about next year.
You need to study up a little on Miguel. His team West Oaks went into Oak Hills Academy and beat them at their home for their first home lost since 1992 Miguel had 27 points and 4 assists in that game. Best player on a very good team. He has been lighting it up against the best teams and players in the country.

tmcats
Posts: 8233
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 1120 times
Been liked: 773 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 26th, 2020, 11:28 am

i was struck last night seeing how skinny our freshmen were compared to baylor's guys. i mean d'gordon looked like a high schooler body-wise. summer in the weight room will really help all three. they need muscle.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

catl
Posts: 217
Joined: September 11th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by catl » February 26th, 2020, 11:44 am

Antonio Gordon needs to learn how to play defense

Texan4KSU
Posts: 176
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 1:34 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Texan4KSU » February 26th, 2020, 11:57 am

I've seen, maybe on this board, that our 2020 recruiting class will be one of our best in a long time. Although I dont buy into all the recruiting rankings they can give us a little insight. I was a little surprised when I looked and saw we only had the 6th best class in the big 12. Hopefully we have some positive surprises with new guys coming in.

AJcat7755
Posts: 3963
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 11:29 am
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 268 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 26th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Texan4KSU wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 11:57 am
I've seen, maybe on this board, that our 2020 recruiting class will be one of our best in a long time. Although I dont buy into all the recruiting rankings they can give us a little insight. I was a little surprised when I looked and saw we only had the 6th best class in the big 12. Hopefully we have some positive surprises with new guys coming in.
Be careful with basketball recruiting and comparing classes. A class with 1 4/5 star and a bunch of lower rated players will be ranked higher then a class of all above average players.

For example, compare ISU to KSU in 2020. ISU has two 4 stars and two 3 stars, but their average is 91.63. KSU has three 4 stars and one 3 star, with an average of 93.00. But because ISU's top player gets a lot more points, their class is rated higher.

Or take KU, who has one 5 star, and three 3 stars

So would you rather have 1 top player and 3 lower players around that, or a higher overall average of players, but no top stud?

Basketball, unlike football, is really weighted that if you get 1 top players, your class jumps up a lot, no matter what you have around them, because classes are anywhere from 1 to 5 players so 1 player can affect it a lot.

Not to mention that transfers don't get counted in class rankings, even though they take up a scholarship spot and do affect the team. But yet a JUCO transfer counts.
These users liked AJcat7755 for the post (total 2):
Puffdad (February 26th, 2020, 12:30 pm) • tmcats (February 26th, 2020, 3:39 pm)

KsJoey
Posts: 1686
Joined: October 4th, 2017, 10:21 am
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by KsJoey » February 26th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Good Stuff. I know for me personally, this incoming class is what gives me hope that the program will get a lot better. I've scoured a lot of video & stats from the 4 incoming freshmen, and IMO, all of them are more talented and have more potential at their respective positions than any of the recruits in the last 4 classes (except maybe Xavier & D. Gordon). But as we are seeing this year, the last 3-4 classes are also the reason we are so bad right now.

Post Reply