wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: This year is inexcusable

Post by wild@nite » February 12th, 2020, 10:25 am

Gorhoops wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:57 am
Puffdad wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:50 am
I certainly don't think it's time to pile on right now but yea things aren't pretty in Mudville. But on the other hand I'm not sure how basketball people couldn't see this coming. X and Cartier were role players on a good team last year. There were leaders on last years team and there were players who made all those playing with them look a lot better and they're pros now. It's a totally different animal now when you have no experience being the creator of offense. You just never know how that's going to turn out...... until you try it. And now we know.

Well puff, I saw a step back coming, but I did not see this big of a drop. I thought we could still find a way to be at least an NIT team this year with 5 guys back that had played a lot on good teams and a few promising newcomers. I did not expect a repeat title, but I sure didn't think we would be this bad.

But as others have said, none of these guys have improved at all. But I guess they just are what they are.
Agreed. Nobody expected a great team this year. Heck, I didn't even expect a good team this year, but I DID NOT expect a team that just looks lost and incompetent.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 12th, 2020, 10:30 am

it was clear last night sitting in row 5 that the best thing to happen to this team right now is the b12 tournament and out. youngsters have lost their mojo, even xavier. yikes. :|
Why is there something rather than nothing?

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » February 12th, 2020, 10:37 am

Weber's teams need an effective point guard, even if that is by committee. Kam was not a truly great point guard, but Barry and Kam together could fill the role. Kam could bring up the ball, and generally run the offense while Barry could be the guy with the ball in his hands at crunch time. Dean was also a Swiss Army Knife on offense.

This team simply does not have effective point guard play on a regular basis. Carti simply has not made the step up to carry the load at the point, Williams is gone, and Sloan is having first-year in DI struggles. No one knows for sure what next season will bring, but I do think Pack and Miguel will be major improvements talent-wise on offense. Pack in particular is a high quality true point guard, which is something this team does not have.

The only thing left for this team is to play one game at a time while they keep trying to improve. Hopefully they will pull out a few upsets.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 12th, 2020, 10:41 am

What this team lacks is natural shooters, nuthin' else.

Well, we could use a little luck, too. That hail Mary shot that Anai made for the Pokes is indicative of our "bad luck" team.

I have yet to see this team quit trying hard.

Horses_n_Hoops

Post by Horses_n_Hoops » February 12th, 2020, 11:01 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:41 am

Well, we could use a little luck, too. That hail Mary shot that Anai made for the Pokes is indicative of our "bad luck" team.

Regarding luck, I never see people bring this up, but that’s actually a legit stat that Kansas State is terrible at.

If you check out KenPom, the unluckiest teams in the nation in order are:

1: Northeastern
2: VMI
3: UT Arlington
4: Washington
5: Fresno State
6: Northwestern
7: Kansas State

Now I’m not blaming all of losses on luck (obviously this team is terrible), however it’s something to keep in mind. There are a lot of games we probably should have won, but basically we just haven’t had the luck and lost by a few points in the last few minutes or so.

For reference, the luckiest team in the nation is Auburn. They’ve won a lot of close games and games that they weren’t supposed to win (from a statistical standpoint).

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 12th, 2020, 11:35 am

WVU was 15-21 (4-14) in 2018 - Huggins in year 12, still coaching

OSU was 12-20 (5-13) in 2018 - Boyton in year 2, still coaching
OSU was 12-20 (3-15) in 2015 - Ford in year 8, fired after the season

ISU was 13-18 (4-14) in 2017 - Prohm in year 3, still coaching

UT was 11-22 (4-14) in 2016 - Smart in year 2, still coaching

OU was 11-20 (5-13) in 2016 - Kruger in year 6, still coaching

TCU was 12-21 (2-16) in 2015 - Johnson in year 4, fired after the season
TCU was 18-15 (4-14) in 2014 - Johnson in year 3
TCU was 9-22 (0-18) in 2013 - Johnson in year 2
TCU was 11-21 (3-16) in 2012 - Johnson in year 1

TTU was 13-19 (3-15) in 2014 - Smith in year 2, left for Memphis
TTU was 11-20 (3-15) in 2012 - Walker serving as interim coach

KSU is currently 9-15 (2-9). They are currently favored in 2 of the 7 games. Add in a likely loss in the first round of the Big 12 tournament and no postseason the team will finish 11-21 (4-14).

Only KU, BU haven't had a huge down year since the new Big 12 was formed.

Newer coaches were given time to build (Boyton, Prohm, Smart, Johnson). Experienced coaches that continued to fail were fired (Ford, Johnson). Huggins and Kruger only had a single terrible year, and had also built credit with the school for past accomplishments. Neither of them had won 1, let alone 2 Big 12 titles. Like it or not, Weber is going to be back next year, and probably the year after that and will be given time to rebuild the roster with the 2 best recruiting classes in a row that the school has seen. If he can't show progress, then he will be fired when these young players are JRs or SRs and another coach will inherit a lot of talent to hit the ground running.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 12th, 2020, 12:31 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:37 am
Weber's teams need an effective point guard, even if that is by committee. Kam was not a truly great point guard, but Barry and Kam together could fill the role. Kam could bring up the ball, and generally run the offense while Barry could be the guy with the ball in his hands at crunch time. Dean was also a Swiss Army Knife on offense.

This team simply does not have effective point guard play on a regular basis. Carti simply has not made the step up to carry the load at the point, Williams is gone, and Sloan is having first-year in DI struggles. No one knows for sure what next season will bring, but I do think Pack and Miguel will be major improvements talent-wise on offense. Pack in particular is a high quality true point guard, which is something this team does not have.

The only thing left for this team is to play one game at a time while they keep trying to improve. Hopefully they will pull out a few upsets.
The team needs better players at several positions, but I agree, at PG we need it maybe the most. Pack is easily the highest regarded true PG we've had a long, long time.. and I expect big things out of him. And a lot is riding on him, with there being no PG's in the 2 classes above him.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 12th, 2020, 12:38 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:37 am

Your point about the point guard (pun intended) is well taken. There's one thing I do know. David Sloan is our best option at point guard and the offense flows better when he is there. Cartier needs to be kept off the point, except for some short spells, and David needs to be playing 30 plus from here on out. David sat on the bench too long in the first half.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 12th, 2020, 12:42 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:41 am

Thank you. You are absolutely correct to bring that slop shot Anai made as an example of some of what is plaguing this team. They can't catch a break to get over the hump. TCU came up here, earlier, and couldn't miss an outside shot when it came down through the last half of the second half. Every time they make the move to take the game over, something happens like that slop shot.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 12th, 2020, 12:52 pm

csteel25 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:17 am
My standard is the same. Average a top 4 finish.

So far:

1st
5th
6th
8th
6th
4th
1st
10th?

(1+5+6+8+6+4+1+10) / 8 = 5.1 Someone check my math/stats! (pulled from Wikipedia)

By my logic he should be fired even if he makes first place next year. Will bend a bit since he is a good guy/not cheating.

But anything beyond 4th place finish the next 3 years should result in firing immediately.
Two conference championships, after 0 for 30 plus years, makes your standard very debatable. I would say 3 successive years, like this year, and the AD should take a long hard look about the future.