May be the worst team in over 70 years.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
hilltopwildcat

Re: May be the worst team in over 70 years.

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 22nd, 2020, 10:01 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:23 pm
Highway26north wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:18 pm
Biggest problem is shooting. Second biggest problem is shooting. Third biggest problem is shooting. I couldn't watch it all but in what I saw I think we were about 1 for 8 on shots from within one foot of the basket. And that's not counting the ones that were blocked. Freshmen need to get stronger. They will.
This team can't hit a jump shot, the reason we had so many shots blocked is because we consistently drove to the rim and attempted highly contested layups or they were blocked. This team can't shoot and Weber knows it, I hope to hell some of the incoming freshman can shoot because it's going to be a big problem next year too.
Had a Class 1 boy's basketball game today. 1 team was on fire (the other was BAD). Granted they weren't playing against B12 type defenders but their strokes were picture perfect. I know that coach personally. Maybe I can get him to go to Manhattan and do some work there.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » February 22nd, 2020, 11:56 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:23 pm
Highway26north wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 6:18 pm
Biggest problem is shooting. Second biggest problem is shooting. Third biggest problem is shooting. I couldn't watch it all but in what I saw I think we were about 1 for 8 on shots from within one foot of the basket. And that's not counting the ones that were blocked. Freshmen need to get stronger. They will.
This team can't hit a jump shot, the reason we had so many shots blocked is because we consistently drove to the rim and attempted highly contested layups or they were blocked. This team can't shoot and Weber knows it, I hope to hell some of the incoming freshman can shoot because it's going to be a big problem next year too.
gdgjr: I wasn't counting the blocks; only the bunnies! Repeat: need to get stronger -Hwy

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 23rd, 2020, 1:57 am

Complete Dumpster fire, first to worst. Hard to watch.
EMAW

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 23rd, 2020, 2:14 am

This is Bruce Weber. All over the place. Is it because he is clean? That's arguable, but I believe last year and the next recruiting class gives him the right to get another year. Make no mistake, I've never been a huge Bruce fan as far as his coaching consistency, but I respect his ethical approach and that is worthy of my patience even though this year's team is God awful.

Agree. Hard 2'watch this team. They do nothing well and few things decent.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 23rd, 2020, 3:57 am

I am sorry to disagree, but he deserves the right to stay on because of his recent recruiting prowess and successes is not a defensible standard to take. By this standard Weber should be fired for past poor recruiting. I would accept we know he is a good coach when he has good players so let's give him a shot with new players coming in. The silver lining is we were never really blown away. This mess is on Weber. Sometimes it maybe best to start anew. Or it could get worse by rocking the boat like at okie state. Weber is not owed anything or deservs anything. He is not coach Snyder. Weber is under a contract.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 23rd, 2020, 2:22 pm

wild@nite wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 2:14 am
This is Bruce Weber. All over the place. Is it because he is clean? That's arguable, but I believe last year and the next recruiting class gives him the right to get another year. Make no mistake, I've never been a huge Bruce fan as far as his coaching consistency, but I respect his ethical approach and that is worthy of my patience even though this year's team is God awful.

Agree. Hard 2'watch this team. They do nothing well and few things decent.
College basketball really is a sport dominated by huge egos....both players and coaches. For better or worse, actually for better AND worse, Bruce is poorly equipped to compete in that arena. The very things that make him a tremendous human being and one of the hardest working, humble, and generous individuals you will ever meet also handicap him in a sport that is dirty, dirty, dirty.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm

Weber doesn’t seem to deal with the bad apples very well. His long history of success is marred by a few instances where the patients started running the asylum and the wheels fell off.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 23rd, 2020, 3:41 pm

big egos man, big egos

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 23rd, 2020, 4:49 pm

The poor performance of the team this year didn't start this season. The issue began 2-3 years ago with recruiting (or lack of) and player development (or lack of). Weber isn't going anywhere, but the leash just got a LOT shorter.
EMAW

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 23rd, 2020, 6:04 pm

Hypeman wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm
Weber doesn’t seem to deal with the bad apples very well. His long history of success is marred by a few instances where the patients started running the asylum and the wheels fell off.
I've mentioned before the best coaches are feared a little bit by his/her players. This doesn't mean they physically assault any of them but if they are crossed then there are SERIOUS consequences. Last year the big 3 kept everyone inline, I'm sure that healthy fear was held by the entire team towards the 3 seniors especially Barry. Looking back at Webers best teams he had seniors that kept the team on task with no one rocking the boat. I just don't think he is capable of instilling that fear/respect into young willful players.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"