AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: OSU Game Preview and Thread

Post by AJcat7755 » February 13th, 2020, 1:57 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 1:31 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:48 am
calling either baylor or ku anything but elite this year makes no sense to me. both have high-quality guard play. both have bigs. both are deep. both are old. it would not surprise me if they make the e8 and one or the other goes to the f4. and watch out for txt. they're just rounding into form as their newcomers season. i do agree the b12 bottom - k-state, isu, tcu and oSu - are not as good as previous years bottom four.
We'll see what happens come March and don't give me the "ncaa tourney is a total crapshoot blah blah" that's just a way to explain KSU losing in the first rd the two times they won parts of big 12 championships.
Scott Drew in tournaments isn't all that bad. He has had 3 times where he played under his seed, 2 times higher then their seed, and the rest were pushes. They have a unique challenge for teams with their zone and length, similar to Syracuse causing teams problems. If they get a 1 seed, they will have an easier road as well.

2008 - 11 seed. Lost in 1st round - Push
2009 - NIT 3 seed. Beat the 6, 2, 1 seed in their region, a 1 seed in the semis and lost to a 2 seed in the finals - Played higher
2010 - 3 seed. Beat the 14, 11, 10 seeds and lost to the 1 seed - Push
2012 - 3 seed. Beat the 14, 11, 10 seeds and lost to the 1 seed - Push
2013 - NIT 2 seed. Beat the 7, 3, 4 seed in the region, a 3 seed in the semi and a 3 seed in the final - Push
2014 - 6 seed. Beat the 11, 3 seed and lost to the 2 seed - Played higher
2016 - 5 seed. Lost to the 12 seed - Played lower
2017 - 3 seed. Beat the 14, 11 seed, lost to the 7 seed - Played lower
2018 - NIT 1 seed. Beat the 8 seed, lost to the 4 seed - Played lower
2019 - 9 seed. Beat the 8 seed, lost to the 1 seed - Push

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 13th, 2020, 8:11 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
tmcats wrote:
calling either baylor or ku anything but elite this year makes no sense to me. both have high-quality guard play. both have bigs. both are deep. both are old. it would not surprise me if they make the e8 and one or the other goes to the f4. and watch out for txt. they're just rounding into form as their newcomers season. i do agree the b12 bottom - k-state, isu, tcu and oSu - are not as good as previous years bottom four.
We'll see what happens come March and don't give me the "ncaa tourney is a total crapshoot blah blah" that's just a way to explain KSU losing in the first rd the two times they won parts of big 12 championships.
you're setting your case like a good barrister. but i'm not going to let you get away with it. you can't say 'i told you so' if bu and ku get beat in the tournament unless you're willing to say today who you have doing better. and yes, none of that total crapshoot blah, blah either. who are your picks to go deep, '78?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 13th, 2020, 9:30 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 8:11 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:

you're setting your case like a good barrister. but i'm not going to let you get away with it. you can't say 'i told you so' if bu and ku get beat in the tournament unless you're willing to say today who you have doing better that either. who are your picks to go deep, '78?
As soon as the brackets are released I'll gladly share my picks. For example though the Big 10 is VASTLY superior to the Big 12 and I could see 11 teams in the Big 10 that would be capable of being in 3rd place in the Big 12.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2020, 12:06 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:30 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 8:11 pm

you're setting your case like a good barrister. but i'm not going to let you get away with it. you can't say 'i told you so' if bu and ku get beat in the tournament unless you're willing to say today who you have doing better that either. who are your picks to go deep, '78?
As soon as the brackets are released I'll gladly share my picks. For example though the Big 10 is VASTLY superior to the Big 12 and I could see 11 teams in the Big 10 that would be capable of being in 3rd place in the Big 12.
no '78, you're not going to get away with delays either. you've said bu and ku are vastly overrated. so, against which other two teams, who are your standards for that statement? and right now, not after the brackets are published because you already said brackets don't matter - "don't give me the 'ncaa tourney is a total crapshoot blah blah.'"

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 14th, 2020, 2:36 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 12:06 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:30 pm

no '78, you're not going to get away with delays either. you've said bu and ku are vastly overrated. so, against which other two teams, who are your standards for that statement? and right now, not after the brackets are published because you already said brackets don't matter - "don't give me the 'ncaa tourney is a total crapshoot blah blah.'"
Lol you're not some dictator contrary to your beliefs. If I decide to tell you it will 100% be my decision. Btw let's hear you put up your final 4 right now. I never said brackets dont matter either you egomaniac. What exactly are you demanding? My top 10?? Whatever I declare you better match for future reference but I doubt you'll do that. You just like to yell from your imagined pulpit. 😂

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm

as we thought, '78, you're a man of grand platitudes and judgments about others but without the courage to back up your words. all hat, no cattle so to speak. perhaps you should change your handle to "oz's lion." :lol:

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 14th, 2020, 4:00 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm
as we thought, '78, you're a man of grand platitudes and judgments about others but without the courage to back up your words. all hat, no cattle so to speak. perhaps you should change your handle to "oz's lion." :lol:

Lol, what do you want from me grumpy old man? My top 10? What?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2020, 4:54 pm

old man? what the hell is that pejorative suppose to mean?

once again, getting back on track here, you have said repeatedly that the b12 is overrated - this year baylor and ku. somehow, you connect that to k-state losing in the first round last year. but whatever.

so, if those two are overrated, i think not, but if they are who is better, who goes deeper in the tournament? i didn't ask for your top ten. i asked you to back-up your above statements by telling us which two teams are better than baylor and ku.

this really isn't hard to do. and we won't hold it against you for showing the courage of your convictions by naming two better.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 14th, 2020, 7:05 pm

I'll take Gon, Lou, Duke, Fl St, Mary, Aub, Kent, and Vill just for starters. Yeah I know Baylor beat Vill but I'd take Vill in a 10 game series. I'll make sure and share my bracket with you too when the brackets come out. I'd love to see yours 🤣😂🤣

learnin

Post by learnin » February 15th, 2020, 1:05 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
tmcats wrote:
I keep trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you make it very hard. You're steamed because I posted that it's harder to win the Big XII, round robin, conference than it is to win 2 games in the NCAA tournament. You're mad because I have maintained that a one loss elimination tournament really doesn't prove a great deal because any team can lose on any given night. You're mad because, as you've made it clear, my argument lets KSU off the hook for losing the first game in the tournament each year they won the Big XII. By KSU, you mean Coach Weber.

A single elimination tournament IS a crap shoot. If Davidson had sunk that last 3, when playing KU in 2008, Bill Self would not have one national championship. Do you think this would mean that he isn't one of the best coaches in the land? Do you think it means that five or six of Self's KU teams weren't the best in the land? Or would it simply mean that, in a six game tournament, his team met a team that couldn't miss or that his team couldn't hit? On any given night, it can happen. Or perhaps you don't believe that Memphis had the best team in the nation that year. What happened to that terrific team? They walked up to the free throw line and missed free throw after free throw. It happens on a given night.

You say the Big XII is bad and indicate that this is why Weber won the Championship. Well, the co champion of the Big XII went to the national championship game last year and lost by a hair. You point to the other co champion, KSU, and seem to indicate the Big XII was down because they lost the first game in that tournament. But, you fail to mention that KSU lost their best player before going into the tournament for the second straight year. In your opinion, did that have any smidgen of bearing on the first round loss? It works both ways you know. When I maintain that a single elimination tournament is a crap shoot, it means I'm saying that our elite 8 run could have meant nothing more than our guys got hot just at the right time. It could mean that Mike, Xavier and company got hot just at the right time. This is not to take away what these guys did, especially without Dean, it just puts things into proper perspective.

You seem to think the Big X is so high and mighty this year. Who would you say is the best team in the Big X? Well, take that team and bring them here this year. Let them play in this round robin. Would you bet good money that the Big X's best team would win this conference? Do you think they would win at Morgantown? At Lawrence? At Waco? At Lubbock? They could lose no more than two games to win this conference because the winner is probably not losing more than two games.