Baylor vs. Texas

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: Baylor vs. Texas

Post by bhoovy » February 11th, 2020, 2:37 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Baylor is a quality team but them being the overall #1 seed is a joke. I'll have them getting bounced pretty early in the tourney. The Big 12 is vastly overrated especially at the top imo
I’m curious, why is it they’re a joke to be ranked #1?
They’ve lost one game, second game of the year and on the road. They’ve beaten Villanova, Arizona and Butler. Are undefeated after 11 games in the big 12, with one of those wins being at Lawrence and it was pretty convincing.

So who is more deserving? Gonzaga also has one loss but 3 more wins. San Diego St is the only undefeated team and has some decent but not great wins (Iowa, creighton, BYU). Dayton and Auburn are the two 2 loss teams ranked. Dayton has no great wins. Auburn has some very good wins, but were hammered in their two losses, to teams not ranked.

Duke, ku and Louisville are the three 3 loss teams. Duke has two bad losses in their 3. Of their 4 toughest games, Louisville lost 3. And ku has a loss to that number 1 ranked team in their 3 losses, which their losses are to 3 of their 4 toughest opponents also.

So who’s more deserving to be #1 if Baylor is a joke?

learnin

Post by learnin » February 11th, 2020, 2:39 pm

The NCAA is a crap shoot as is any single elimination tournament. I've seen all the top teams play and I believe Baylor is as good as any I've seen.
We can say the Big XII is down this year, but so is basketball around the nation. They praise the Big Ten, and it may be competitive, but only because five or six teams are evenly matched.

When you get in to the dance, there are many factors that will determine who takes it all. Yes, there are some years where two or three teams stand out above the rest of the field but, even then, things have to fall right. Baylor can beat any team in the nation, but how will their games be called? Will it be a physical game or will the game be called close? Will all things come together, one day, where Baylor can't throw it in the ocean?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 2:37 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Baylor is a quality team but them being the overall #1 seed is a joke. I'll have them getting bounced pretty early in the tourney. The Big 12 is vastly overrated especially at the top imo
I’m curious, why is it they’re a joke to be ranked #1?
They’ve lost one game, second game of the year and on the road. They’ve beaten Villanova, Arizona and Butler. Are undefeated after 11 games in the big 12, with one of those wins being at Lawrence and it was pretty convincing.

So who is more deserving? Gonzaga also has one loss but 3 more wins. San Diego St is the only undefeated team and has some decent but not great wins (Iowa, creighton, BYU). Dayton and Auburn are the two 2 loss teams ranked. Dayton has no great wins. Auburn has some very good wins, but were hammered in their two losses, to teams not ranked.

Duke, ku and Louisville are the three 3 loss teams. Duke has two bad losses in their 3. Of their 4 toughest games, Louisville lost 3. And ku has a loss to that number 1 ranked team in their 3 losses, which their losses are to 3 of their 4 toughest opponents also.

So who’s more deserving to be #1 if Baylor is a joke?
A joke was perhaps too strong a word. Baylor is a quality team probably in the 12-15 range. I'm just basing this off my personal eye test. The Big 12 imo is pretty weak this year, there are some quality teams at the top then a bunch of meh. KU and Baylor are capable of advancing to the sweet 16 but I don't see any big 12 team surviving past that rd unless a golden path is laid out.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

NumbersDontLie

Post by NumbersDontLie » February 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Agree that the Big 12 is down this year, but I’d lay the blame for that more on the bottom, rather than the top, of the conference. In recent years, you’d have a hard time finding a “bad” team in the Big 12. Very solid from top to bottom. This year, there are at least 4 bad teams.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 11th, 2020, 5:25 pm

I’ve been saying the big 12 is way down since the first weeks of the season. I mentioned the big 12 being a legit 3 - 4 bid league, no more. So the easy big 12 record is over-inflating Baylor’s record.

However, the team I’ve watched the least is Baylor. From what I’ve seen they look solid and capable of going deep in the tourney, but capable of getting bounced early too.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 11th, 2020, 5:45 pm

I agree the Big12 is down as a whole. Typically you have 2-3 teams who I would label as bad. This year, you have 6 that are in that same boat. Baylor has been the biggest surprise. KU is about what you expect, with the loaded roster. WVU and TTU are fringe Top25 caliber teams IMO.

If the bottom half of the conference was a little stronger, like it often is, I think you'd see Baylor with a couple losses. KU probably with another one or 2. But we're seeing the good teams beat up on a lot of bad teams. It also shows just how bad KSU is right now, to be in last place.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 11th, 2020, 6:07 pm

k-state is not in last place.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/ncaabk ... p-vw-big12

i believe txt is turning the corner towards stout. wvu may be going the other direction. although as i said earlier, i think travel is really wearing on their ass more than anything else. ou is a bubble team, presently. they're the only one with a chance of making 'the dance' beyond the top four unless there's a big upset in the b12 tournament.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

learnin

Post by learnin » February 11th, 2020, 6:16 pm

I think we're a little harsh on the Big XII. Yea, the bottom half teams are not up to snuff this year, but there are a lot of not so good conferences this year. I think KU can win the whole thing. They have the point guard and big man. That means a whole lot.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 11th, 2020, 6:20 pm

learnin wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:16 pm
I think we're a little harsh on the Big XII.
Nope. Never.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 11th, 2020, 10:00 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm
Agree that the Big 12 is down this year, but I’d lay the blame for that more on the bottom, rather than the top, of the conference. In recent years, you’d have a hard time finding a “bad” team in the Big 12. Very solid from top to bottom. This year, there are at least 4 bad teams.
Oh yeah I agree and I think the terrible teams at the bottom is what's making the quality teams at the top appear better than they really are. It makes KSUs performance this year even more deflating because if they were decent they would easily be in the middle of the pack.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"