ISU Game Thread and Notes

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: ISU Game Thread and Notes

Post by xtrawildcat » February 9th, 2020, 8:29 pm

No facts to back me up but it appears for the most part, Big 12 home teams are being more successful on a game to game basis. WVU, OU as examples.
TT, KU and Baylor seem to discount that thought although the number 1 and the number 3 team in the country are going to win most everywhere they play.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » February 9th, 2020, 9:25 pm

If it's been addressed I've missed it-what was the deal with Sneed's trips to the locker room holding his side? I feel for him. At the very least (maybe about all that's left) he needs to get through this season physically sound. A class act.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 10th, 2020, 12:35 am

Puffdad wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Wichita State just got beat 76-43 by Houston. What happened to the greatest coach in America?
Exactly what I was thinking, puffdad. They've been losing a lot as of late and are trending toward the bubble.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » February 10th, 2020, 8:38 am

The bubble would be a nice place to be right now.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 10th, 2020, 10:06 am

learnin wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:35 am
Puffdad wrote:
Wichita State just got beat 76-43 by Houston. What happened to the greatest coach in America?
Exactly what I was thinking, puffdad. They've been losing a lot as of late and are trending toward the bubble.

Yep, I listened to local Wichita radio the other day and the hosts were wondering why there were so many empty seats Thursday against Cincinnati. We heard for so long that Shocker fans were the best fans in the world, man they show up for every game. But fact is, every fan base is basically the same for the most part.

Marshall is good at getting guys to play tough and hard-nosed, but he has his weaknesses as well. He is not a great late game coach, they are really not very good in late game situations. He completely butchered the end of the UCONN game and his players were able to bail him out in overtime. They had fouls to give at Tulsa a week ago Saturday and didn't foul, which allowed the kid to dribble all the way up the floor and hit the game winner. At least foul them once and make them throw it in again.

But the fact is, when you have to play against elite athletes and high level coaches most every night, it gets really tough. WSU has now lost 5 of 7 and still have some really tough road games remaining.

They may be on the bubble, but what they thought was a great non-con is not turning out that way, as they only have 2 Quadrant 1 wins. The OSU win doesn't look great now, especially when Ice Likele didn't play in that game.

Houston has just completely punked them twice now. Cincinnati has beaten them 6 times in a row. Those are also tough-hard nosed programs that just simply have better players.

Honestly, although yes, I would much rather have their record, the common opponents tell you KSU and WSU are the same caliber of team. They got smacked by WVU, lost to Tulsa, trailed OU for 32 minutes before finishing strong to win.

Its all about players, especially players that can score. KSU doesn't have them, either does WSU

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 10th, 2020, 10:56 am

learnin wrote:
Puffdad wrote:
i chuckled after seeing the shox score. not that i dislike wichita or their coach, i just don't care other than their being thrown-up in k-state's face constantly. :evil:

a couple of other points, wvu just got whiplashed in norman. i truly believe that program is in the wrong league. travel has to be killing them as the february grind is in full swing. a projected two seed will likely end up somewhere in the 5 range, methinks. :|

texas jumps up big and then loses to txt in austin. what chance is there they can actually convince/steal coach beard back to his alma mater? imagine beard with texas resources? :o

isu lost haliburton for the season to a broken wrist. i'm sure caleb grill will step right in though. :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 10:06 am
learnin wrote:

Yep, I listened to local Wichita radio the other day and the hosts were wondering why there were so many empty seats Thursday against Cincinnati. We heard for so long that Shocker fans were the best fans in the world, man they show up for every game. But fact is, every fan base is basically the same for the most part.

Marshall is good at getting guys to play tough and hard-nosed, but he has his weaknesses as well. He is not a great late game coach, they are really not very good in late game situations. He completely butchered the end of the UCONN game and his players were able to bail him out in overtime. They had fouls to give at Tulsa a week ago Saturday and didn't foul, which allowed the kid to dribble all the way up the floor and hit the game winner. At least foul them once and make them throw it in again.

But the fact is, when you have to play against elite athletes and high level coaches most every night, it gets really tough. WSU has now lost 5 of 7 and still have some really tough road games remaining.

They may be on the bubble, but what they thought was a great non-con is not turning out that way, as they only have 2 Quadrant 1 wins. The OSU win doesn't look great now, especially when Ice Likele didn't play in that game.

Houston has just completely punked them twice now. Cincinnati has beaten them 6 times in a row. Those are also tough-hard nosed programs that just simply have better players.

Honestly, although yes, I would much rather have their record, the common opponents tell you KSU and WSU are the same caliber of team. They got smacked by WVU, lost to Tulsa, trailed OU for 32 minutes before finishing strong to win.

Its all about players, especially players that can score. KSU doesn't have them, either does WSU
As you said Need players who can score. And more than a couple of them. Carti scores one night, Sneed doesn't and vice versa. Need a third and fourth guy that can put the ball in the basket when others are not. IE Stokes shooting saved several games last year when Dean was hurt or coming back from being hurt and Brown didn't have a good shooting game. The margin between winning and losing is only a couple of made shots

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 10th, 2020, 3:10 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 10:56 am
learnin wrote:

i chuckled after seeing the shox score. not that i dislike wichita or their coach, i just don't care other than their being thrown-up in k-state's face constantly. :evil:

a couple of other points, wvu just got whiplashed in norman. i truly believe that program is in the wrong league. travel has to be killing them as the february grind is in full swing. a projected two seed will likely end up somewhere in the 5 range, methinks. :|

texas jumps up big and then loses to txt in austin. what chance is there they can actually convince/steal coach beard back to his alma mater? imagine beard with texas resources? :o

isu lost haliburton for the season to a broken wrist. i'm sure caleb grill will step right in though. :roll:
The best way to stop getting them thrown in our face is to play each other annually, switching home courts. There is only positives to be gained with replacing a game against Savannah State with an in-state battle for bragging rights. The arenas would be packed.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 10th, 2020, 3:12 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Gorhoops wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 10:06 am

As you said Need players who can score. And more than a couple of them. Carti scores one night, Sneed doesn't and vice versa. Need a third and fourth guy that can put the ball in the basket when others are not. IE Stokes shooting saved several games last year when Dean was hurt or coming back from being hurt and Brown didn't have a good shooting game. The margin between winning and losing is only a couple of made shots
This is the problem in a nutshell. We have a team with two double digit scorers. A successful team needs 4, or 5, double digit scorers. I thought Mak would easily put up 12-14 per game so I believed we needed only one newcomer to step up and be the 4th double digit scorer.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 10th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Hypeman wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:10 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 10:56 am

The best way to stop getting them thrown in our face is to play each other annually, switching home courts. There is only positives to be gained with replacing a game against Savannah State with an in-state battle for bragging rights. The arenas would be packed.
agreed.
Why is there something rather than nothing?