ISU Game Thread and Notes

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Re: ISU Game Thread and Notes

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 8th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Mawien is what he is. It's not his fault Bruce plays him. Or that our guards keep throwing it to him (and, in plenty of situations that aren't favorable to him - when he's facing up on the perimeter, outside the post, etc.).

If you're a K-State guard, how can it not have sunk in at this point that the only time Mawien should be thrown the ball is when he's on the block within five feet of the basket? And, yes, I realize that even then it's a 50-50 proposition.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 8th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Good game by Diarra. Say what you want, but he is our best scorer. If he can cut out the careless turnovers, we desperately need him next year.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » February 8th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Mawein is just so bad. No other words. The post move he had late was flat comical, and then he flat got stripped and a breakout the other way. Stockard is just as terrible.

Why can’t we use the 2 freshman more at the five? Or don’t play with a true 5?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 8th, 2020, 10:07 pm

wild@nite wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 9:03 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 8:57 pm
At least we got it back to within single digits.
Yep. Winnable now. This could be a huge maturity moment for this squad (especially the youngin's) if they complete the comeback. Glad they didn't quit like some did with 30 minutes left.
Not so much quitting, it’s just when you’ve seen a movie you already know how it will end.

Team doesn’t quit and fights to get back in, but like always, they get it to two possessions and then let balloon back out to 8-10 and generally from very poor shot selection and/or extremely careless with the ball.

It’s good they don’t quit, but it’s still a loss and gets very tiring and frustrating. Even more so when it’s against one of the other poor teams in the league and you bury yourself to start the game to give little chance. It’s disappointing and frustrating to know you’re just playing for next year. Hard to be very upbeat and optimistic.

Kid In the Hall

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 8th, 2020, 10:08 pm

McGuirl played eight minutes tonight and the +/- was -23 while he was on the floor. That's pretty damn impressive.

I can't decide if it's more or less impressive than Mawien and Stockard combining for 3 rebounds in 36 minutes played.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 8th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:02 pm
Mawien is what he is. It's not his fault Bruce plays him. Or that our guards keep throwing it to him (and, in plenty of situations that aren't favorable to him - when he's facing up on the perimeter, outside the post, etc.).

If you're a K-State guard, how can it not have sunk in at this point that the only time Mawien should be thrown the ball is when he's on the block within five feet of the basket? And, yes, I realize that even then it's a 50-50 proposition.
Well, in the game of basketball, you have to have an inside game. You have to enter it in to have success. It collapses defenses and opens up thefloor. t's extremely stressful on guards who don't have a reliable big that can catch the ball, let alone score it. Don't blame our guards. Blame the staff. This is a damn joke.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 8th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:05 pm
Good game by Diarra. Say what you want, but he is our best scorer. If he can cut out the careless turnovers, we desperately need him next year.
I agree. I want him even with his frustrating moments and sometimes there are many in a short period.

And for those that say they don’t see he has some special athleticism and ability others don’t, I can’t help ya.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 8th, 2020, 10:12 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:07 pm
wild@nite wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Yep. Winnable now. This could be a huge maturity moment for this squad (especially the youngin's) if they complete the comeback. Glad they didn't quit like some did with 30 minutes left.
Not so much quitting, it’s just when you’ve seen a movie you already know how it will end.

Team doesn’t quit and fights to get back in, but like always, they get it to two possessions and then let balloon back out to 8-10 and generally from very poor shot selection and/or extremely careless with the ball.

It’s good they don’t quit, but it’s still a loss and gets very tiring and frustrating. Even more so when it’s against one of the other poor teams in the league and you bury yourself to start the game to give little chance. It’s disappointing and frustrating to know you’re just playing for next year. Hard to be very upbeat and optimistic.
I hear ya. This team would suck the energy out of a 30 year old Richard Simmons.

Kid In the Hall

Post by Kid In the Hall » February 8th, 2020, 10:17 pm

wild@nite wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:09 pm
Kid In the Hall wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Well, in the game of basketball, you have to have an inside game. You have to enter it in to have success. It collapses defenses and opens up thefloor. t's extremely stressful on guards who don't have a reliable big that can catch the ball, let alone score it. Don't blame our guards. Blame the staff. This is a damn joke.
Actually, you don't (see Golden State Warriors). Regardless, this team isn't equipped to have an inside/out game because our two upperclassmen bigs can't consistently catch the ball/not turn it over. At this point, Bruce should really just go small ball with Sneed at the 4 and rotate Murphy/Gordon at the 5 (with spot subbing for Sneed at the 4). Mawien and Stockard should get no more than 10 minutes a game.

What do we have to lose? We've seen what happens when we try and play a more traditional lineup.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 8th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Just a pathetic performance tonight. ISU NEVER felt threatened and was just playing with KSU. I could say more but it will just get me in trouble. I'm disgusted with what I saw tonight in Ames.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"