So what do we think of Fran's comments

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

So what do we think of Fran's comments

Post by Gorhoops » February 4th, 2020, 9:29 am

Pretty well publicized even during the game about what Fraschilla said about Carti. If you missed it, he said he really feels from watching Carti's body language that he is not invested in KSU, he is only concerned with professional basketball and that he is missing and wasting a great opportunity to be a really good college player. He said he thinks Carti is a good kid, but I think he said he even said something to Carti himself about his body language.

So what do you all think. DJ came on twitter and somewhat ripped Fraschilla for ripping our veteran players.

I will say this, when I watched him up close and personal, I was not impressed with his actions as a leader. Now, I am not saying he is a complete cancer, I just think he is dancing to his own drummer and that doesn't always work well when you are the, or one of the, best players on the team.

I guess my thought is, we went to an Elite 8 and won a title because Barry Brown and Dean Wade were what coaches like to call "everyday guys," You just know that they are going to bring it every day and they are not going to let their teammates slip and waste a day. Coaches always say that if your best player is your best and hardest worker, you have a real chance to be good.

So what are your thoughts on Fran's comments? Too harsh? Spot on??

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 4th, 2020, 9:54 am

Spot on, but Weber will continue to play him and so the behavior won't change.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 4th, 2020, 10:11 am

wild@nite wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 9:54 am
Spot on, but Weber will continue to play him and so the behavior won't change.

I didn't mention in the original post, but did want to add in, how much of it is on Coach Weber? Pretty frustrating nonetheless for sure.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » February 4th, 2020, 10:12 am

Not sure about his attitude, I've just never been impressed with his ability. I keep hearing he is so athletic, but he always looked to me to be very awkward out on the court. To me, he is no leader and certainly not a difference maker.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » February 4th, 2020, 10:14 am

I don't really know what he is thinking, but I have been frustrated by Carti this year. Too many lazy passes (he's not the only one) & has been way out of control too often this year. His head certainly doesn't seem to be in the game this year.

I like him, but won't be too upset if he takes the grad transfer route, or looks to go make money playing ball someplace.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 4th, 2020, 10:22 am

JOKKO wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 10:14 am
I don't really know what he is thinking, but I have been frustrated by Carti this year. Too many lazy passes (he's not the only one) & has been way out of control too often this year. His head certainly doesn't seem to be in the game this year.

I like him, but won't be too upset if he takes the grad transfer route, or looks to go make money playing ball someplace.
JOKKO said...."I like him, but won't be too upset if he takes the grad transfer route, or looks to go make money playing ball someplace."

I am hoping he IS NOT back. We will have a young, hungry group next year. He hasn't shown any hunger at all. I can't stand watching him play. It ruins the experience for me, but I have no patience for that garbage. There are too many guys willing to play the game the right way and as a coach, when you talk the talk about how you expect your players to act and play, then you walk the walk when they don't. Otherwise, you begin to lose the respect of the other players. This is my fear. I haven't seen it yet, but you better believe it could happen if we keep screwing around with crap like this.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 4th, 2020, 10:29 am

i watch carti closely from row 5. he struggles to stay focused. but he's our best shooter and the only guard who can break down the defense and take it to the goal off the dribble. his junior year has been a disaster based on expectations. what he does going forward is obviously a complete unknown. but i wouldn't be surprised if he stays nor if he leaves. since i was at the game, i didn't hear fran's comments but can certainly understand an analyst reaching that conclusion.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 4th, 2020, 10:52 am

tmcats wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 10:29 am
i watch carti closely from row 5. he struggles to stay focused. but he's our best shooter and the only guard who can break down the defense and take it to the goal off the dribble. his junior year has been a disaster based on expectations. what he does going forward is obviously a complete unknown. but i wouldn't be surprised if he stays nor if he leaves. since i was at the game, i didn't hear fran's comments but can certainly understand an analyst reaching that conclusion.

I think this is the real question that needs to be answered. Yes, he is our best shooter and yes, he probably is the only one that can get his own shot. However, is that worth not being able to stay focused, is that worth poor body language? I know Fitz said last week he has heard rumors of lockerroom discontent around Carti, nothing for sure, but rumors.

At some point no one is good enough to be a jack..........

I wish him the best and hope he stays, but ONLY if he changes his body language and his focus, etc. If he is all in on KSU basketball, than come on back. Anything else and see you later.

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » February 4th, 2020, 10:57 am

I agree with the comments. Carti's head is certainly not in the game as he is playing for himself and not the team. Yes, he can penetrate but is often out of control whether he is shooting or trying to pass. He is not a natural point guard and shouldn't be playing that position. He doesn't have the skill set or mentality to be a point guard. We can only wonder what goes on between he and Coach Weber. For the good of the team Coach must lay out his expectations and if they aren't met the end of the bench has an open spot. If Coach Weber continues to tolerate Carti's play then our team will not improve.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 4th, 2020, 11:00 am

I think Fran went overboard on the air, though i'm not disagreeing with what he's saying, as there are some obvious issues with where Cartiers head is at right now. It's okay to mention it at time or 2, but to keep mentioning it over and over, after every mistake he made (or didn't make)... Cartier doesn't deserve that either. It was like he had nothing else to talk about when anything related to Cartier came up.

"He's very talented, but..." Seemed like it was said a dozen times last night.