Baylor Game Notes and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Piedmontcat

Re: Baylor Game Notes and Thread

Post by Piedmontcat » February 3rd, 2020, 10:48 pm

Carti’s decision making is a problem

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » February 3rd, 2020, 10:57 pm

I tell ya, Diarra is really good at dribbling around and dribbling out the shot clock with no option but a desperation shot as a result.

I’ve never understood people’s fascination with him.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 3rd, 2020, 11:10 pm

Really nice game by Sneed, just had little help

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 3rd, 2020, 11:11 pm

Not fascinated, but he's one of our best players, regardless of his being careless and nonchalant.
Count this loss to Baylor as just another "close, but no cigar."
Only positive is that the kids continued to play hard to the end. They don't quit. They just can't seem to win.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » February 3rd, 2020, 11:12 pm

Great effort. We will win some more games, starting at Iowa State.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » February 3rd, 2020, 11:14 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 11:11 pm
Not fascinated, but he's one of our best players, regardless of his being careless and nonchalant.
Count this loss to Baylor as just another "close, but no cigar."
Only positive is that the kids continued to play hard to the end. They don't quit. They just can't seem to win.
So I’m not trying to be a jerk because I get what you’re saying. But this actually reads to me, They try hard but they’re just really bad at basketball. It makes me sad.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » February 4th, 2020, 5:39 am

Sir Ocelot wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 11:12 pm
Great effort. We will win some more games, starting at Iowa State.
They've improved some but this team has won 1 road game all year. I'd be shocked if they go into Ames and pull out a W, they just can't put points on the board.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

learnin

Post by learnin » February 4th, 2020, 9:00 am

Too much time spent on our negatives and not enough speaking of Baylor's positives. Baylor has one of the sweetest teams I've seen in a while. Without a doubt, there is no better team in the nation. I really enjoyed watching this team last night. When I saw them warming up before the game, I knew they were going to be quick as lightning. Not only are they quick, they take care of the ball real well and are tenacious on defense. My hat off to Scott Drew for changing to a man defense. If he was still going with zone, they'd be the same Baylor, good team but not great.

Not only are they quick, they can shoot real well from deep. You know you're dealing with a good team when you make several runs and they just calmly step up and stretch the lead again. Man, do they have some fine guards! Baylor is definitely good enough to win the National Championship, but anything can happen in a single elimination tournament. Whatever happens there, I will still believe they have as good a team as there is in the country,

Mak. What has happened to him over the last few games? He had six hands slapping the ball last evening and still scored.

Carti is our best outside shooter. If only he would just stop the dancing dribble and bad passing.

I still believe Xavier will get his shot in the NBA.

Montavious sure has some good hands that will bode well for the future. He grabbed a 90mph pass last night and made a good move to the hoop. Actually, several good moves underneath.

All in all, I enjoy watching this team play because they're still playing 110% and battled the best team in the nation to the wire.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 4th, 2020, 10:38 am

hard to add to what i've read already in the thread but here's a try.

baylor is really good, quick, strong and can shoot lights-out
guessing they win the b12 but ncaa is such a crapshoot
enjoyed the fight in our boys last night
X had a sweet game, he just works his ass off
coach weber was going-off full gene keady in the huddle
mike caught the wrath - more is expected of him
i think weber has just settled on carti being what he is, maybe soon gone
mak played another good game, his drive to the goal and score was a thing
students were there in force, must have been too cold or late for the olds
enjoyed my kstatefans' visitors
Why is there something rather than nothing?

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 4th, 2020, 11:22 am

Back from the game.
Final stats. https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 7_book.PDF

My thoughts on what I saw last night. (Just my opinion and for sure not the only way to look at out play.)

Learnin and TM have it spelled out about right. Baylor is a really good team with as many as 5 knock down shooter from range who take care of the ball and can take it to the rim. Butler is all league, Teague is close. Mitchell is a very solid point guard who can shoot but also really good getting to the rim and finishing. Bandoo is a shoooting and scoring threat at guard off the bench and Mayer is another shooting and scoring threat off the bench. Gillespie is a really good center with a all Big 12 pre season pick in Clark backing him up. Vital is a Sneed level defender. Eight player rotation last night with everybody knowing their roles, playing great defense and knocking down shots.

We might have stayed with them if we had reduced turnovers and not helped too much off of three point shooters.

Last night Mak played a great game on defense and offense. Overall, Stockard and Mak held their own or outperformed Baylors bigs.

Regarding Fran calling out Diarra. He should keep his mouth shut.

Just my opinion but Diarras decision making is OK but his execution results in some turnovers. Four turnovers last night. His turnovers are mostly on attempted passes. Very much reminds me of the errors both Kam and Barry made their junior year.
1. One travel. This was a bad call as Diarra lifted his heel but kept the toe of his right foot on the ground.
2. Bad pass to Mak on a pick and roll. Threw it too hard but the decision was right
3. Bad cross court pass that Baylor intercepted. Call that a bad decision.
4. Pass deflected and intercepted on a pitchout to Mike in the corner on a drive to the rim. Good play by Baylor. Coaches game plan was to pitch to open shooters in the corner but Baylor was looking for it. . Good play by Baylor.

But Diarra is also making plays on both offense and defense. We need him on the court but also need him to cut turnovers.

We were plus 2 with Diarra on the court and minus 10 with Sloan last night. Sloan is getting better on defense but Baylor took advantage of him last night.