WVU Game Thread and Notes

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Hypeman

Re: WVU Game Thread and Notes

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 10:22 pm

Here’s an article about the Sterling balls Wiscy was using that got the complaints. I’ve never even seen a Sterling and I sort of fancied myself as someone that had seen it all.

http://dailyorange.com/2016/11/wisconsi ... hout-ncaa/

There is up to a half inch difference in acceptable balls that fit the NCAA standard, and anyone who still laces em up will tell you that Nike and Spaulding are very, very, very different in feel, size, and weight.

The ball probably wasn’t the sole cause of shooting woes, but its an interesting issue to discuss. The NBA uses one ball, high school associations use one ball. Here’s another issue where the NCAA lacks judgement.

Of course if we had super shooters like Mr Gdg.. we wouldn’t be talking about this. He can shoot anything, just give him the rock. And apparently he disagrees about the importance of a good pass and playmakers to getting good looks. I suppose he could just grab a pass at the ankles and pick it up and knock it down. Shoot, throw him a mini ball and he’ll knock it down.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 2nd, 2020, 10:45 pm

Hypeman wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 10:22 pm
Here’s an article about the Sterling balls Wiscy was using that got the complaints. I’ve never even seen a Sterling and I sort of fancied myself as someone that had seen it all.

http://dailyorange.com/2016/11/wisconsi ... hout-ncaa/

There is up to a half inch difference in acceptable balls that fit the NCAA standard, and anyone who still laces em up will tell you that Nike and Spaulding are very, very, very different in feel, size, and weight.

The ball probably wasn’t the sole cause of shooting woes, but its an interesting issue to discuss. The NBA uses one ball, high school associations use one ball. Here’s another issue where the NCAA lacks judgement.

Of course if we had super shooters like Mr Gdg.. we wouldn’t be talking about this. He can shoot anything, just give him the rock. And apparently he disagrees about the importance of a good pass and playmakers to getting good looks. I suppose he could just grab a pass at the ankles and pick it up and knock it down. Shoot, throw him a mini ball and he’ll knock it down.
Missouri follows NF rules and they are basically the same as NCAA. Schools do not have to use 1 brand of ball just 1 prescribed by the rules. Most schools do go buy the ball that will be used in post-season play. It does create quite a hardship on small schools when they have to buy new balls every few years. The ball that MSHSAA moved to this year is hard at less than the prescribed air pressure, takes off like a rocket. Very hard to get adjusted according to the air pressure rules and the prescribed "drop" rule.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 2nd, 2020, 10:55 pm

learnin wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 8:20 pm
hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 6:21 pm

In all seriousness, if the schools don't provide these kids with training on how to answer media questions, they should just keep them in the locker room.
So, what is the correct way to answer that question? Here’s an article that discusses the stupid NCAA not having a uniform ball policy.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-di ... story.html
I didn't hear the question but being the smarta$$ I am, I'd probably snap off something like "If I knew why we had shooting woes, I'd fix it and we wouldn't have them anymore".