More unwritten rules

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Puffdad

Re: More unwritten rules

Post by Puffdad » February 2nd, 2020, 1:51 pm

learnin wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 2:29 am
What about yesterday’s game? Culver takes the ball in for a dunk up ten with about 20 seconds left and plenty of time on shot clock. What do the unwritten rules say about that? The announcers seemed to think it was cheap. Huggs seemed to dislike it
Depends a little if shot clock was expiring. If it was expiring might be allowable. But generally no not a good plan. I would agree with Huggs and announcer.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 2:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 10:01 am
the unwritten rules are unwritten for a reason. time to move to a different subject, methinks?
It’s a worthy discussion because b-ball is a global game played in a lot of different ways and venues, from the playgrounds for poor kids, to the quonsets for country kids, to high end pay to play facilities for rich kids, to the sands of Africa, to the Great Wall of China. Old guys playing pickup ball, pros playing for money, and just about everything in between. Through all that, there are some unwritten codes that allow all these people to play together. Those that don’t learn the codes or are too big of D-bags to listen when taught, are severely limited in their chance to enjoy a great game. And they wreck it for everyone else when they come out to play.

hilltopwildcat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 2nd, 2020, 5:56 pm

learnin wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 2:29 am
What about yesterday’s game? Culver takes the ball in for a dunk up ten with about 20 seconds left and plenty of time on shot clock. What do the unwritten rules say about that? The announcers seemed to think it was cheap. Huggs seemed to dislike it
I don't think I'd like to be Culver after practice today.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 2nd, 2020, 5:57 pm

bigpurpleman wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:51 am
Unwritten rule. Good grief. Write them down if they're so important to the integrity and well being of the game.
Hard to quantify the unquantifiable. This is a big problem in today's world. Everything has to be in writing. No common sense or decency.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 2nd, 2020, 6:02 pm

If it weren't for that stupid fight we'd have nothing to talk about. This season sucks.
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

learnin

Post by learnin » February 2nd, 2020, 6:38 pm

hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 5:57 pm
bigpurpleman wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:51 am
Unwritten rule. Good grief. Write them down if they're so important to the integrity and well being of the game.
Hard to quantify the unquantifiable. This is a big problem in today's world. Everything has to be in writing. No common sense or decency.

My opinion, on this subject, is that some of these unwritten rules ought to be written rules so that there's no subjective
banter and to keep tempers from flaring. For instance. If it's a unwritten rule that you quit when the other team decides not to try and score, then, make it a technical if a defensive player doesn't quit. And make it clear when a defensive player should quit. For instance, in our game with Oklahoma. If memory serves correctly, we were up by two possessions with under 20 seconds and had the ball. We brought the ball out and decided not to shoot. An Oklahoma player came up and grabbed our dribbler to extend the game.

Same thing with playing the scrubs in a blow out. Perhaps there ought to be some clear guidelines so that there are
no hard feelings. I can guarantee you that many a coach have thought they were being good sports by calling off the
dogs at the end of the third quarter, with a blowout lead, and the coach, being drubbed, thought they were poor sports
for not putting in the scrubs earlier, etc.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 2nd, 2020, 10:51 pm

learnin wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 6:38 pm
hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 5:57 pm

My opinion, on this subject, is that some of these unwritten rules ought to be written rules so that there's no subjective
banter and to keep tempers from flaring. For instance. If it's a unwritten rule that you quit when the other team decides not to try and score, then, make it a technical if a defensive player doesn't quit. And make it clear when a defensive player should quit. For instance, in our game with Oklahoma. If memory serves correctly, we were up by two possessions with under 20 seconds and had the ball. We brought the ball out and decided not to shoot. An Oklahoma player came up and grabbed our dribbler to extend the game.

Same thing with playing the scrubs in a blow out. Perhaps there ought to be some clear guidelines so that there are
no hard feelings. I can guarantee you that many a coach have thought they were being good sports by calling off the
dogs at the end of the third quarter, with a blowout lead, and the coach, being drubbed, thought they were poor sports
for not putting in the scrubs earlier, etc.
I'll send you my rules surveys for MSHSAA, NF and NCAA my friend. They haven't listened to me in 39 years. I doubt if you could get any kind of consensus but who knows?

As per the reference to the OU game, 2 possessions with 20 seconds to go isn't out of reach especially if you're playing a team who are poor free throwers. A couple of missed front ends or missing 2 free throws then run down and get a 3? I've seen it happen. Down 20 with 5 seconds is a different animal.

All those who think blowout games are easy to referee has never done one.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 2nd, 2020, 11:19 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnbfcL

Looks like these unsportsmanlike acts at the end of games are becoming an epidemic. A lot of punks playing ball nowadays. Frankly, this speaks to societal issues if you ask me. Snowflake society.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 3rd, 2020, 2:23 am

I was worried what the SB was going to turn into. Shanahan badly mismanaged his timeouts at the end of the first half. Then, down 11, a minute to go, and he burns his last 2 timeouts just delaying the inevitable (I thought he had all 3). The best he could hope for would be an ending like he got unless he thought a miracle like Herm Edwards pulled off for the Eagles was imminent. As chippy as the 2nd half was, I could just see some bad chit going down.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 3rd, 2020, 2:27 am

Hypeman wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 11:19 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnbfcL

Looks like these unsportsmanlike acts at the end of games are becoming an epidemic. A lot of punks playing ball nowadays. Frankly, this speaks to societal issues if you ask me. Snowflake society.
That could have turned out badly if a hothead like DeSouza were involved.