KSU Game Notes and Thread

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: KSU Game Notes and Thread

Post by wild@nite » January 30th, 2020, 10:14 am

KsJoey wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 12:12 am
You take the good with the bad, with Cartier. You still want your best player back next season, and yes, without Sneed, Cartier will be our best player. Maybe we get lucky and a freshman surpasses him, but I definitely wouldn’t count on it. Cartier is the only guy that can create his own shot.
I disagree. If his attitude isn't right, I don't want him back, I don't care if he is our best player. Fix the attitude or get lost. It's selfish and can spread like cancer. As a coach, I'd much rather coach a player that is lacking talent, but has great attitude and work ethic than a talented, entitled, selfish player. I've coached both and I can tell you with certainty that "best player" can be misinterpreted. If he has a crap attitude, he isn't our best player, I don't care what the stats say. "Best" players make the team better in practice, in games, and motivate others around them to work. Our team works hard despite Cartier's pouting. Cancer attitudes take the fun right out of sports and taint younger players.

You don't build championship programs by keeping cancers around. Foster leaving set us back a couple of years, but Foster staying, with the attitude he had, would have likely set us back more. There is just no room for that kind of mentality in a team sport. Our young guys don't need continued exposure to that kind of crap. If this is indeed the case with Cartier (and I don't know for certain, but it's looking like it) , I hope Weber handles it better than Foster. Don't jack around by sitting him for spurts or a half. Suspend him until his attitude is fixed and has been displayed that way for multiple days in a row. Make him sit on the bench in street clothes for 2 games and cheer on his teammates. If he truly wants to be here, it'll get fixed, if not he'll likely quit.

Putting yourself before your team should not be stood for at any level. If his attitude is bad, that's what he's doing. As far as I'm concerned, that behavior isn't worthy of a scholarship or wearing KSTATE on your jersey.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 30th, 2020, 12:09 pm

without reading the thread, i'll give my takeaways from row 5.

mike is a better sixth man than fifth
when he gets his feet set, mike is a really good shooter
carti is the only player we have presently who can break down the other guy off the dribble
carti is mercurial and coach is managing that, not starting, sitting at the end
mac just wore their ass out rebounding the ball, this we need
ou is soft as a baby's butt and plays the part
last night was an emaw lay-up drill for much of the game
d'gordon's missed dunk, lesson learned
d'gordon causes chaos with quickness, rebounding, and defense but hasn't learned yet to take it the goal with mustard
nice but too quiet crowd, ou will do that to you, hard to hate

Censorship is to free speech as lynching is to justice.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 30th, 2020, 12:17 pm

As Highway pointed out, both teams defended to stop the 3. It was a defensive game and defensive games are, generally, ugly. We scored over 70 against Alabama, and looked good on offense, but, Alabama was one shot better. Pretty game....ugly results. Last night, ugly game, pretty results.
There are a lot of ugly games in College basketball any more, except when a team goes crazy from 3. There's a lot of physicality on defense today.

Take out the missed dunk, the missed free throws and the banked in 3 and this is a laugher.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 30th, 2020, 12:53 pm

My take from last night was that both teams missed a lot of good shots. Some were fairly well contested but a lot just were missed. Both ways except for Mike. Both offenses created enough good shots. Doolittle and Manek who have a history of shooting well, couldn’t throw a pea in the ocean! And we appreciate it!!! 😆

I pretty well knew when Manek missed the wide open 3 to start the 2nd half and screamed the F-word for everybody to hear and hit his own leg we were in good shape.

82catfan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by 82catfan » January 30th, 2020, 1:26 pm

ksustars754 wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 8:41 am
It sounds comical but after his freshman year, I said Levi Stockard should be gaining weight. You could tell, well I could tell so I hope the coaches could tell, that with his limited height, skill, and athleticism that getting “in better shape” was not going to help. I saw him come back as a sophomore and was disappointed with the direction they went with his training. A big, large (even chunky) body is more effective than what we’ve seen as a sophomore/junior.

Out of the box thought, but I believed it 2 years ago and still do today.
I don't understand your criticism of Levi Stockard. He has clearly improved from last year, possibly the most improved player on the team. His defense is better and he commits less fouls. On offense he has made some timely short jumpers and goes up strong underneath. The effort he has made to improve should be congratulated.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 30th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Puffdad wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 12:53 pm
My take from last night was that both teams missed a lot of good shots. Some were fairly well contested but a lot just were missed. Both ways except for Mike. Both offenses created enough good shots. Doolittle and Manek who have a history of shooting well, couldn’t throw a pea in the ocean! And we appreciate it!!! 😆

I pretty well knew when Manek missed the wide open 3 to start the 2nd half and screamed the F-word for everybody to hear and hit his own leg we were in good shape.
:rofl:

So, the force has a lot to do with results, right? Even the announcer stated last night after they showed the guy winning a recliner, “there’s something in the air in Manhattan....those things that you just can’t control.

I’ve gotten a lot of grief over the years for breaking down a game by considering multiple factors including officiating and pure luck. People tend to not like that because it’s easier to live in a black and white world. We suck is a much easier answer.

You’re right, puffdad, Oklahoma did miss some open shots....shots that might have fallen on another night when, “something was not in the air in Manhattan.” Think about the Marquette game where someone other than the star stepped up for Marquette and couldn’t miss. The very next game, they couldn’t throw it in the ocean. What about the TCU game? That night they were shooting like Golden State.

Yes, we suck at times in every game this year, but we’ve lost the majority of games by a couple of possessions or less. Guess what? That means the other team sucked just as bad, but got a shot to go down when they needed it or got a 20 point free throw discrepancy in their favor. Have you ever had a string of bad luck in your life when things just don’t go your way? The old saying that, “when it rains it pours”, sprung forth from reality and not wit.

The better you are, of course, the better your odds are of winning, but even then multiple factors come together for success or failure.

My point? This team is just a hair away from being successful just as last year’s team was a hair away from being a failure.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » January 30th, 2020, 2:30 pm

82catfan wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 1:26 pm
ksustars754 wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 8:41 am
It sounds comical but after his freshman year, I said Levi Stockard should be gaining weight. You could tell, well I could tell so I hope the coaches could tell, that with his limited height, skill, and athleticism that getting “in better shape” was not going to help. I saw him come back as a sophomore and was disappointed with the direction they went with his training. A big, large (even chunky) body is more effective than what we’ve seen as a sophomore/junior.

Out of the box thought, but I believed it 2 years ago and still do today.
I don't understand your criticism of Levi Stockard. He has clearly improved from last year, possibly the most improved player on the team. His defense is better and he commits less fouls. On offense he has made some timely short jumpers and goes up strong underneath. The effort he has made to improve should be congratulated.
Clearly the most improved? That’s purely your opinion as most improved is completely up for debate.

And goes up strong? Not sure what games you’ve been watching but that’s one of my biggest gripes with him is he doesn’t go up strong very often at all.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 30th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Puffdad wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 12:53 pm

That was my take also. OU had decent looks from three the first few trips down the court in the second half and couldn't make one including Maneks miss. They usually make some of those.

But we didn't make open outside shots either sans Mike. I'll have to rewatch from I thought Diarra had some really good looks even if they came on step backs. But he just wasn't making them. Including some great stops on drives that left him a wide open two. But wasn't making them either.
He was 0 for 5 but from three but two were at the end of the shot clock and one was the heave at the end of the first half. Other two he took with about 10 seconds on the shot clock. Carti was 0 for 5 from three, Sneed 0 for 4 and Sloan 0 for 3. Nearly all of them were decent looks. Strong defense, OU missing threes and us having success taking it to the rim gave us a good win.

Correction. Sneed was 1 for 5.
Last edited by xtrawildcat on January 30th, 2020, 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » January 30th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I think the point of KSU Stars was that if Levi simply had more physical strength, which is usually accompanied by more bulk, he'd be more effective underneath. That's what made Gip Gip. But not everybody can become a Gip, no matter how hard they work out. It's one thing to go up strong, and quite another to be able to overpower the guy who's guarding you, who maybe has a hand on the ball, who may have an arm on your chest or be shoving your legs out from under you with his hips, etc. Seems to me Levi has developed a range of alternate release points and moves to avoid contact, but not the strength to play through contact. And a lot of that is simple genetics. Bulking up can only help so much. Zion can dunk through contact-no finesse required.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » January 31st, 2020, 2:59 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 9:54 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 9:51 am

You earned a salvo. You must live a grey world not to enjoy a win over a good team.
My world is bright. Who are you to tell me otherwise. You bank on sports results to measure a person's happiness. You're the one with the grey world.

Ah yes. Pdave in a tussle with ANOTHER member of the forum. Hahahahahaha.

"It's a pattern, folks, and not a good one."