Interesting comment by Weber on Kaosi in press conference

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
IStillLikeHarv

Interesting comment by Weber on Kaosi in press conference

Post by IStillLikeHarv » January 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm

In today's press conference Weber was asked about what he thinks of Kaosi so far, and he made some very interesting/positive comments. He noted that Kaosi is their tallest player -- he said several inches taller than Mak -- and with good length as well (it has been reported at 7' 1"). Weber also commented that he runs well and has an excellent motor. This matches up with what I saw in looking at his highlight videos as far as apparent height and length based on how easily he was blocking some shots well above the rim. He noted that having Davion, Kaosi, Levi, and "possibly" Shadd if he can get healthy would give KSU a different look inside compared to recent years. All in the FWIW department, of course. He did seem pretty enthusiastic about Kaosi though.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 28th, 2020, 9:58 pm

I'm going to resist the urge to comment on the development of our bigs and simply say....from Bruce's lips to God's ears. Here's hopin'!

learnin

Post by learnin » January 29th, 2020, 12:04 am

Thanks for the info, Harv. Bradford has now moved up to a 4 star. Selton Miguel has moved in to the top 100 now. Nijel Pack is going to be a very quick point guard who can make his own shot and distributes well. D. Gordon is moving up the ladder quickly himself. During the first half of the Alabama game, before getting in foul trouble, the young man was putting on a clinic in rebounding and knocking balls loose. Montavious is looking better all the time, too. The kid has a very quick move under the bucket when he gets the ball down low. If everything continues on it's present course, we're in for a nice ride over the next 4 years.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 29th, 2020, 1:17 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm
In today's press conference Weber was asked about what he thinks of Kaosi so far, and he made some very interesting/positive comments. He noted that Kaosi is their tallest player -- he said several inches taller than Mak -- and with good length as well (it has been reported at 7' 1"). Weber also commented that he runs well and has an excellent motor. This matches up with what I saw in looking at his highlight videos as far as apparent height and length based on how easily he was blocking some shots well above the rim. He noted that having Davion, Kaosi, Levi, and "possibly" Shadd if he can get healthy would give KSU a different look inside compared to recent years. All in the FWIW department, of course. He did seem pretty enthusiastic about Kaosi though.
I'm not going to get sucked into recruit hype again 😂. The biggest question I have is if this kid is so talented why did he basically get beat out by 4 other bigs on a poor UTEP team and be forced into taking a redshirt year. The UTEP coach said it was going to be really hard for him to get any playing time so they were going to redshirt him and UTEP is not a good basketball team at all.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 29th, 2020, 6:24 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 1:17 am
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm
I'm not going to get sucked into recruit hype again 😂. The biggest question I have is if this kid is so talented why did he basically get beat out by 4 other bigs on a poor UTEP team and be forced into taking a redshirt year. The UTEP coach said it was going to be really hard for him to get any playing time so they were going to redshirt him and UTEP is not a good basketball team at all.
Yeah. I’m skeptical too.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 29th, 2020, 8:47 am

I agree with this sentiment of "I'll believe it when I see it," for sure. I'm glad that he is tall, runs well and has a motor, that is three things I don't see much from our current big guys, that's for sure. But I am not going to buy any hype until I see him catch a ball and finish. If he can do that, I will be happy. His video that was posted a while back showed his shot form looked pretty good, actually made a handful of 3's and mid-range shots that looked good out of his hand, so that really makes me wonder what the deal was at UTEP?? A 7'0" guy that can run and has a motor and a decent stroke, why is he not good enough to get on the court for freaking UTEP?? Gotta be something there. Obviously strength and getting pushed around is probably the first thing that comes to mind. Of course with our recent history, we will fix that by bulking him up, then he will have two years worth of foot injuries.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 29th, 2020, 9:30 am

I'm not getting excited, but as I have said before, if he can get on the floor, he will have contributed more then several bigs that have come through the program recently.

James Love - 120 minutes
Austin Trice - 215 minutes
Mawdo Sallah - 161 minutes
Dante Hales-Williams - 29 minutes
Brandon Bolden - 71 minutes

All Kaosi has to do is average 7 minutes a game, for a single 32 game season, and he will have been on the floor more in 1 season then all of those players in their KSU careers.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » January 29th, 2020, 9:46 am

I have no faith in our staff’s ability to evaluate and develop big men. At least I had my daily chuckle at the “runs well and has an excellent motor.” Yeah, right!

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 29th, 2020, 9:47 am

Just need to let it play out. Big men development is hard to predict. DJ couldn't make a shot at the rim his freshman year but ended up one of the better finishers in the Big 12.
Gillespie at Baylor is a walk on from a small college. Showed some good promise last year and now is one of the best if not the best big men in the Big 12. Asked how he improved his inside game, he said he did the Mikan drill over and over.

If Kaosi does not develop offensively he should at least help on defense as Webers comments were positive on his ability to be a help defender and rim defender. And we will be in need of that when Mak moves on.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » January 29th, 2020, 10:08 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 9:47 am
Just need to let it play out. Big men development is hard to predict. DJ couldn't make a shot at the rim his freshman year but ended up one of the better finishers in the Big 12.
Gillespie at Baylor is a walk on from a small college. Showed some good promise last year and now is one of the best if not the best big men in the Big 12. Asked how he improved his inside game, he said he did the Mikan drill over and over.

If Kaosi does not develop offensively he should at least help on defense as Webers comments were positive on his ability to be a help defender and rim defender. And we will be in need of that when Mak moves on.
I agree...big men usually develop at a much slower rate than others...unfortunately, KSU bigs have not really seemed to develop at all.

Think about Jeff Withey. J-O abused him when he was a sophomore, but his last 2 years he was dominant (especially on the defensive end).