KU Game Notes and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdave

Re: KU Game Notes and Thread

Post by pulitzerdave » January 22nd, 2020, 9:08 am

Let's hope that D.Gordon learned something from this. I believe in playing hard until the end, but let's define "the end". The end is when your opponent has the ball with less than 30 seconds left (the final possession of the game) they are ahead by 22 points and are not trying to run up the score. That's the end. That's not a time to steal the ball from a player who is casually dribbling the ball 50 feet from the basket. That's when you back off and let the clock tick down to 0. IF your opponent is trying to score on you again, then that changes the dynamics. But in this case, they weren't.

genghisjon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by genghisjon » January 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am

The game was practically, if not actually, ended (Self and Weber both thought so), and Gordon is laying vulnerable on the floor with a KU player, like an immature beast, hunched over him berating him while Higgins stands there like a useless dupe not acting to end it, and our players should just stand there and let it happen (how is it emptying the bench when the coaches are conceding the game is over and shaking hands?). I’ve played sports, those are your buddies, you don’t let them just get @#$&ed on for all intents and purposes without anyone stopping it if you think you can. Love went in there to defend his teammate and after watching the video multiple times I’m convinced Love was only trying to break it up and then when players got overly physical with him and shoving him and .De Stupido threw a punch he started defending himself. Kudos to him, it’s what most people would do!

It’s completely unfair to think Love bears virtually any responsibility in this situation morally, if not even under the rules considering what I just described. Throwing him off the team, or saying his contributions were nothing anyway, is completely unfair and speaks more to such a person who is criticizing him than it does him. It’s shameful, actually, I’m a K-State alum, I don’t disrespect our players for doing what no ref, coach, or other KU player SHOULD have done.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 22nd, 2020, 9:25 am

Here's what I think should happen

Silvio - Kicked off team. He started it, threw more punches than everyone else combined, and picked up a weapon. That trash neeeds to never play College BB again.
McCormick, Love - Long suspension. Both threw multiple punches
Garrett, A Gordon - Short suspensions. Both were pretty physical in their pushing, pretty close to punching.

There were several others on both sides that were pushing but where does one draw the line

Section 12-2

Post by Section 12-2 » January 22nd, 2020, 9:29 am

Over the years a number of really good guards have come out of Chicago. As I recall KSU had a pretty good one a few years ago.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 22nd, 2020, 9:30 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:20 am
hilltopwildcat wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 12:51 am
If you're on the floor, you're given a little leeway....to try to stop the fight. If you participate you're ejected. If you come off the bench you're disqualified. If you come off the bench and participate, you serve a suspension. I think it's mandatory 1 game but the B12 office will be under a lot of pressure here. If I were the women's rugby team at larryville, I'd be very worried.
This may be a technicality, but players may have believed that time had expired and the game was over. Does that matter in terms of players coming off the bench? I know that the officials put 1 second back on the clock and made the players who were in the game return for technical free throws, and for us to inbound the ball to officially end the game.
dave, this is not an OFFICIAL NCAA interpretation. I don't know if time remaining is a factor per se. Official's jurisdiction doesn't end until they leave the visual confines of the court. But then after time has expired, I would assume there's no bench. I've talked to another collegiate official who says that if they leave the bench DURING a fight, they're ejected for that game and suspended for the next. That's pretty plain. Best way to prevent that chit is to do your job as your trained as an official and prevent it. Be proactive rather than reactive.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am

There’s intense competition for the Chicago players and a lot of ‘hype’. Gordon looks like he has game, which means he wouldn’t have been overlooked, which gives me pause on why he’s here. Last night got my radar up.

Weber said early on he wasn’t going to recruit Chicago for a number of reasons. I’m not going to list them. I’m sure you can figure them out.

I hope we didn’t make a mistake. I know absolutely nothing about Gordon other than what I’ve seen on the court. But like I said, last night got my radar up knowing that Weber didn’t want to play the Chicago recruiting game. I hope my intuition is way off base.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am

so nothin', just a veiled shot at a kid you admit to not knowing anything about

got it
Last edited by WIldWIllieCat on January 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » January 22nd, 2020, 9:53 am

Actually I think Gordon kind of was overlooked in the Chicago scene. He was certainly not seen as a candidate for POY at the start of the season. While I don't follow Chicago hoops that closely my sense also is that it was kind of a down year in the talent pool. Nobody's ever talked about him as a one-and-done, which is part and parcel of the typical Chicagoland hype for those who get hyped. Would be interesting to see what offers he had when Bruce offered.

genghisjon

Post by genghisjon » January 22nd, 2020, 9:55 am

KsJoey wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:25 am
Here's what I think should happen

Silvio - Kicked off team. He started it, threw more punches than everyone else combined, and picked up a weapon. That trash neeeds to never play College BB again.
McCormick, Love - Long suspension. Both threw multiple punches
Garrett, A Gordon - Short suspensions. Both were pretty physical in their pushing, pretty close to punching.

There were several others on both sides that were pushing but where does one draw the line
I’ve watched all the videos multiple times and maybe I missed it, but I never saw Love throw a punch.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 22nd, 2020, 10:17 am

genghisjon wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am
The game was practically, if not actually, ended (Self and Weber both thought so), and Gordon is laying vulnerable on the floor with a KU player, like an immature beast, hunched over him berating him while Higgins stands there like a useless dupe not acting to end it, and our players should just stand there and let it happen (how is it emptying the bench when the coaches are conceding the game is over and shaking hands?). I’ve played sports, those are your buddies, you don’t let them just get @#$&ed on for all intents and purposes without anyone stopping it if you think you can. Love went in there to defend his teammate and after watching the video multiple times I’m convinced Love was only trying to break it up and then when players got overly physical with him and shoving him and .De Stupido threw a punch he started defending himself. Kudos to him, it’s what most people would do!

It’s completely unfair to think Love bears virtually any responsibility in this situation morally, if not even under the rules considering what I just described. Throwing him off the team, or saying his contributions were nothing anyway, is completely unfair and speaks more to such a person who is criticizing him than it does him. It’s shameful, actually, I’m a K-State alum, I don’t disrespect our players for doing what no ref, coach, or other KU player SHOULD have done.
1) As far as I know, that type of crap is against the rules under all codes of basketball
2) Your type of attitude is exactly why this stuff happens. It's a game.