The Tale of Two Coaches

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

The Tale of Two Coaches

Post by learnin » January 19th, 2020, 2:37 am

I'm crediting the West Virginia victory, in part, to Coach Beard. After last Tuesday's defeat to his team, Coach Beard said that K-State would have something to say about this conference race and would make noise before it's over. When our guys came out with unbelievable energy and drive, I, immediately, thought of Coach Beard's words. Why? I was afraid, with #12 West Virginia coming into town after four straight losses, that our guys would pack it in and be lethargic. After all, West Virginia's not the kind of team you easily believe will give you a chance to set things right. They are well coached, physical and have been playing very good all year. I think Coach Beard's words gave these guys something to continue fighting for this year. One of the reasons Beard uttered these words is because he knows Coach Weber is a great coach.

After the West Virginia game, Coach Huggins said, "Bruce Weber is one of the best coaches...."

It's funny how so many of the best coaches in the country have made this statement, yet there are still many K-State fans who are ready to dismiss him as a loser. At the first site of a down year, it all begins anew.

I'll go on record now. Coach Weber has already placed himself high on the list of K-State's best coaches.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » January 19th, 2020, 3:34 am

Believing you're gonna win is a necessary component of winning. This was maybe the first time all year these guys looked like they thought they were gonna win. They stopped the bleeding, stopped wondering what would go wrong next, and regrouped. The players have to do that, not the coach. But the coach had to make 'em believe it when the evidence was sparse. Lots of tough road games ahead. They're not gonna win them all but there's still a lot to play for.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 19th, 2020, 8:31 am

learnin wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:37 am
I'm crediting the West Virginia victory, in part, to Coach Beard. After last Tuesday's defeat to his team, Coach Beard said that K-State would have something to say about this conference race and would make noise before it's over. When our guys came out with unbelievable energy and drive, I, immediately, thought of Coach Beard's words. Why? I was afraid, with #12 West Virginia coming into town after four straight losses, that our guys would pack it in and be lethargic. After all, West Virginia's not the kind of team you easily believe will give you a chance to set things right. They are well coached, physical and have been playing very good all year. I think Coach Beard's words gave these guys something to continue fighting for this year. One of the reasons Beard uttered these words is because he knows Coach Weber is a great coach.

After the West Virginia game, Coach Huggins said, "Bruce Weber is one of the best coaches...."

It's funny how so many of the best coaches in the country have made this statement, yet there are still many K-State fans who are ready to dismiss him as a loser. At the first site of a down year, it all begins anew.

I'll go on record now. Coach Weber has already placed himself high on the list of K-State's best coaches.
learnin, I wouldn't say that "many" fans dismiss Weber as a loser. I would use the words "a few" or "some". Anyone who labels a coach a loser after giving the fan base two championships and a run to the Elite Eight is delusional.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 19th, 2020, 9:49 am

it's hard to stay on top year-after-year when you don't cheat at basketball. weber coaches his ass off and does it at a very high level. we're fortunate to have him here.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » January 19th, 2020, 10:39 am

tmcats wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 9:49 am
it's hard to stay on top year-after-year when you don't cheat at basketball. weber coaches his ass off and does it at a very high level. we're fortunate to have him here.
you'd think that fans could be a bit more mature than to throw tantrums as often as happens.

just saying, for me, it starts by being greatful for the coaches we HAVE and the players who want to be here. those are the people who 'go to war' for the purple and the white.

for me, that's where admirations, appreciation start.

doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in losses and other aspects, but it makes it awful hard for me to 'go negative' on individuals.

I have no such compunction over folks who post crap under aliases on forums. :lol:
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

learnin

Post by learnin » January 19th, 2020, 1:21 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 8:31 am
learnin wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:37 am

learnin, I wouldn't say that "many" fans dismiss Weber as a loser. I would use the words "a few" or "some". Anyone who labels a coach a loser after giving the fan base two championships and a run to the Elite Eight is delusional.
Dave, I used the word many based upon twitter and not this forum. You are correct that there aren’t many on this forum who qualify. But, if you peruse Twitter, you find them coming out of the woodwork to bash Weber after a couple of losses

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 19th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Twitter is the home of the mostly depraved, I don't know why you would quantify anything based upon what you find there.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 19th, 2020, 4:58 pm

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Twitter is the home of the mostly depraved, I don't know why you would quantify anything based upon what you find there.
If you live in, or close to, Manhattan, you hear the talk whether in person, on sports talk radio, etc. Believe me, there are a good number
of fans still wanting to see Weber fail.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

So you're saying it wasn't based on Twitter, nor this forum, but more of a feeling.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 20th, 2020, 12:37 pm

learnin wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 4:58 pm
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 3:05 pm
If you live in, or close to, Manhattan, you hear the talk whether in person, on sports talk radio, etc. Believe me, there are a good number
of fans still wanting to see Weber fail.
anyone who denies this reality is just not very observant. guys like bkparallax and trim to name a few. dues-paying cult of frank members.

https://twitter.com/trimgoemaw/status/1 ... 96385?s=11
Why is there something rather than nothing?