WVU Game Notes and Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: WVU Game Notes and Thread

Post by katlander » January 19th, 2020, 10:24 am

I think Coach Weber irritates some people the way he is up along the sidelines hollering instructions all of the time. This and his voice problem. You don't see this style a lot but this is Bruce Weber and what sets him apart from the norm. It is kinda weird but appears to work. Did Gene Katy do this or is this just Bruce? I think if you give Bruce a chance and see what a good guy he is it becomes a non issue. Obviously he is a very good coach and now appears his hard work on the recruiting trail is paying off. I think there is a genuine love and respect between Bruce and his assistant coaches and the players.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 19th, 2020, 10:52 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 9:55 am
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 9:10 am
On the Cartier vs. Sloan debate as to point guard, keep in mind that Weber's most successful teams have had multiple point guards and/or lead guards as starters. Playing Cartier and Sloan together is probably better than either of them alone.
I think it will be some times. I think Sloan needs to earn his minutes just like he did yesterday.

I think this applies to all of our players to at least some extent. I feel that only X and Cartier have earned their chops and warrant playing through poor performance and mistakes. The rest of the guys have to earn minutes. I really like having so many guys ready to contribute. Different line-ups that can be used situationally. X, Cartier, Mike/Sloan, DaJuan and Murphy would be great when applying full court pressure. It seems that Coach Weber likes to go with a bigger lineup at the start of the game. I am guessing that is to prevent opponents from getting bunnies at the rim. Just different guys to fill different roles.

Also team chemistry is a huge factor. Sloan at the point allows Cartier to focus more on parts of his game which are stronger. Trying to do to much has been resulting in less for Cartier. I think part of our struggles this year were about putting players in roles which did not play to their strengths. Making Makol a go to guy did not work. Cartier as the primary point guard had many negative consequences. These dislocations of talent resulted in the entire team being out of synch. The offense just didn't flow and resulted in guys not being comfortable and then forcing shots out of frustration or desperation. Often they ended up just jacking treys. The insertion of Sloan as the primary point and the increased emphasis on attacking the hoop have really helped this team find an identity and function as a unit.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 19th, 2020, 11:10 am

KITNooga wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:18 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 1:34 am
https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 8_book.PDF

Final stats. I do not agree yet that we are better with Sloan on the floor. I think some times we are and some times we won't be.
sounds to me like a classic case of a freshman player.
Sloan is a Junior.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 19th, 2020, 4:47 pm

katlander wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 10:24 am
I think Coach Weber irritates some people the way he is up along the sidelines hollering instructions all of the time. This and his voice problem. You don't see this style a lot but this is Bruce Weber and what sets him apart from the norm. It is kinda weird but appears to work. Did Gene Katy do this or is this just Bruce? I think if you give Bruce a chance and see what a good guy he is it becomes a non issue. Obviously he is a very good coach and now appears his hard work on the recruiting trail is paying off. I think there is a genuine love and respect between Bruce and his assistant coaches and the players.
nah! :lol:

Why is there something rather than nothing?

learnin

Post by learnin » January 19th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Highway26north wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:58 am
Maybe based in large part on Weber's praise of him, I think we all expected DGordon to take a big step at some point in the season. Now we've seen it. No more deer in the headlights look. Maybe we've used up a season's worth of point blank shots and tips rolling off the rim. But a part of that is going up strong and confident. To state the obvious, that 2-man "you, no you" fast break was a transcendent play, a highlight of this or any other season. Reminded me of Carti's spin-around slam to put the cherry on top against KU last year. Nothing timid about it. That falling-backward put-back was another. Even Levi, to my recollection, completed every one he had. There''s an extent to which this was just our day. To quote an old coach: "'We're playing our game' means we're playing better than we ever have before..." But win or lose in Lawrence, hopefully the attitude survives the night.
Very good observations. Yes, I agree. Things were falling right for us yesterday. This is not to take away from the effort and good play.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 19th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Gordon to Gordon may have been two of the best assists I've seen all season, granted I haven't watched every game, but there was just something different about the way the youngsters played yesterday. You could see it very early on.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 19th, 2020, 5:53 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 4:47 pm
katlander wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 10:24 am
nah! :lol:

:lol: Bruce isn't quite as intimidating.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 19th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Why is there something rather than nothing?

learnin

Post by learnin » January 20th, 2020, 12:09 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 5:25 pm
Gordon to Gordon may have been two of the best assists I've seen all season, granted I haven't watched every game, but there was just something different about the way the youngsters played yesterday. You could see it very early on.
I agree. It was fantastic to see two of our freshmen passing the ball like this. With Nigel Pack coming in next year who, by the way, is tearing things up in Indy, the future may get bright very soon.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 20th, 2020, 7:53 am

tmcats wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 8:13 pm
Did mean gene invent the use of the “stool” like Huggins uses? Seem like a hazard having it on the sideline.