katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: WVU Game Notes and Thread

Post by katlander » January 20th, 2020, 9:12 am

learnin wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 12:09 am
WIldWIllieCat wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 5:25 pm
Gordon to Gordon may have been two of the best assists I've seen all season, granted I haven't watched every game, but there was just something different about the way the youngsters played yesterday. You could see it very early on.
I agree. It was fantastic to see two of our freshmen passing the ball like this. With Nigel Pack coming in next year who, by the way, is tearing things up in Indy, the future may get bright very soon.
Especially when one of them is 6-9.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » January 20th, 2020, 9:36 am

I also liked Pierson's assist to Montavious with 37 seconds left.

If I had been Pierson, I would have liked to have forced a shot but Pierson got the ball to Montavious for a better shot and two points for Montavious.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 20th, 2020, 10:17 am

ksuatheart wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 2:58 pm
We're at 9 of 17 inside the arc and 4 of 7 outside while WV is 10 of 20 and 1 of 9. We're down 8 on the glass, but up 6 on Turnovers thanks to 10 steals in the half.

On the negativity, I spoke with Darryl Winston yesterday (played center in the 70s), and he was pretty down on the squad, but I think we need to be upbeat, and realize we were in this same boat 3 and 4 years ago, so I think there's light in the end of the tunnel.
Darryl (Smooth) runs a Y in Topeka?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » January 20th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I liked seeing Sloan at the point because he is a "pure point" guard. You can see it in his play. Carti has been very good at certain things but the team seems to flat-line while he works his guy waiting to penetrate. I think Sloan's play tends to get the team moving better overall. I also like Carti at the 2 guard slot more. Doesn't mean he can't play the point, I just think the team flows better with Sloan there. Now Sloan needs to show consistency, some of which would come with just playing in that role more consistently. Bruce started Mak and Stockard together, no doubt, in response to WV's strength inside. That being said, the entire team played with more confidence and an attacking mentality yesterday, with everyone set to step up instead of all deferring to Carti and X. It also helps that Carti was draining his jumper...which is certainly in part because he felt in a good rhythm and had good comfort with taking on his man. I don't think the play was necessarily a reflection of Stockard and Mak starting together, but I think Sloan helps the O a lot, and the confidence and mindset to step up of the other players as big. That we need to see the rest of the season.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 20th, 2020, 4:27 pm

proof of that was weber bring sloan back to handle the wvu press in the second half as the earlier good work was about to implode. sloan is a point guard. carti is a shooting guard. sloan can also score. carti can also play some point.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 20th, 2020, 4:56 pm

A point guards job has so many aspects to it that he can have a great game without scoring a bucket. Like a QB reading defenses. The casual fan (and even proposed know-it-all fans) don’t understand that. They see run and dunk and shoot. They don’t see the beauty of the game within the game.

I haven’t see enough of Sloan to make judgment on his ability to do the job. Cartier is as TM describes, a two guard mind with the ability to be a point guard. But half the job is 90% mental ...

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 20th, 2020, 5:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 4:27 pm
proof of that was weber bring sloan back to handle the wvu press in the second half as the earlier good work was about to implode. sloan is a point guard. carti is a shooting guard. sloan can also score. carti can also play some point.
Weber brought Sloan back in with us up 11 and we had the ball. They got it down to six. Carti made a couple of threes and about four free throws to get the lead back up to 13 oso. During that period, Sloan never brought the ball down against the press and the ball was in Carti's hands in the half court offense the majority of the time.
Nothing wrong with what Sloan did. He played fine and did what he was supposed to. But had very little impact on our offense during that particular stretch. He got fouled with about 5 minutes left and made two to get us up by 15 or so. Then a good pick and roll to Mak for a dunk.

He earned more minutes due to his assists and not turning it over. But right now, even after Saturdays game he has 10 turnovers and 9 assists in Big 12 play. We played mostly zone with Sloan in the game. Maybe to protect him or maybe because it was really working well. Regardless, he got his hands on the ball and got four steals. Thats what a 5 10 guard who is not good on the ball has to do to have a positive impact on defense. And he has good hands so lets hope he keeps pushing to disrupt offenses as he continues improving his on ball defense.

KU will be an interesting test for him.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 20th, 2020, 8:31 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 5:16 pm
tmcats wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Weber brought Sloan back in with us up 11 and we had the ball. They got it down to six. Carti made a couple of threes and about four free throws to get the lead back up to 13 oso. During that period, Sloan never brought the ball down against the press and the ball was in Carti's hands in the half court offense the majority of the time.
Nothing wrong with what Sloan did. He played fine and did what he was supposed to. But had very little impact on our offense during that particular stretch. He got fouled with about 5 minutes left and made two to get us up by 15 or so. Then a good pick and roll to Mak for a dunk.

He earned more minutes due to his assists and not turning it over. But right now, even after Saturdays game he has 10 turnovers and 9 assists in Big 12 play. We played mostly zone with Sloan in the game. Maybe to protect him or maybe because it was really working well. Regardless, he got his hands on the ball and got four steals. Thats what a 5 10 guard who is not good on the ball has to do to have a positive impact on defense. And he has good hands so lets hope he keeps pushing to disrupt offenses as he continues improving his on ball defense.

KU will be an interesting test for him.
that a false narrative on sloan. he came in at ~10:30 mark. sneed was clipped at the 10:17. carti had another inbounds turnover at our end. wvu went down and hit a trey shortly thereafter cutting it to six. and that was their run. the commentator said: k-state is doing it right now getting it to their point guard (sloan). k-state went back to the man defense at 7-minute mark. carti took over with shooting from the off-guard slot as sloan controlled the offense as point guard. rewatch it. i just did. it's very obvious the team settled shortly after sloan went back to point and carti to two-guard.
Why is there something rather than nothing?