McGruder and Wade

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: McGruder and Wade

Post by Puffdad » January 26th, 2020, 9:00 pm

I have no idea about what’s going on with the Cavs. They are bad. Real bad. I think the g league team would beat the Cavs right now with possibly the exception being Darius Garland for the Cavs. They actually act like they are purposely tanking trying to get a better draft pick. Some inside guys with the Cavs said Dean scared the peewaddlin out of them for playing so well. They said they don’t want Dean to play so well because they might lose him to another team. And he’s been very good all year with both teams. It is the oddest situation business wise I’ve ever seen. But I hope it works out by next year. Right now Dean enjoys playing with the Charge team which is really good and he enjoys his teammates. He’s about 1/2 and 1/2 time between the Cavs and the Charge. The 30 million$ guys on the Cavs aren’t so friendly! They know he’s going to take their time and their paycheck!

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 27th, 2020, 10:46 am

Reading about how the big money contract guys treat the younger, hungry guys made me remember, have you other basketball junkies read Paul Shirley's book, "Can I Keep My Jersey?" If you haven't, it is a pretty easy read and very entertaining. Shirley is a pretty good writer with a good sense of humor and he talked a lot about in his short stints in the NBA, mostly in training camp but also a bit of a cup of coffee during the regular season, how difficult it was to find a good conversation that didn't include basketball. He poked fun of a lot of the prima donna's as well. He even poked a little fun at Kobe, may he rest in peace. Said he was with the Lakers at training camp in Hawaii and they stayed at some hoity-toity resort and he comes out of the resort to get on the team bus to practice and there were snipers on the roof and security all around and he was like "what the heck is going on, is the President here or something?" So he asks a bit and it was security for Kobe. He thought it was pretty funny that a basketball player felt he needed that much security in Hawaii, but who knows, maybe he did.

I would love to be able to sit down with a level-headed guy like Dean in a year or two and just listen to the stories, it would be classic I'm sure.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 27th, 2020, 10:55 am

He’s got plenty of stories already! You or I would lose our mind coaching that crew. Nobody controls those guys. Why would anybody want to coach and put up with that crap? I bet Beilein doesn’t survive another year.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 27th, 2020, 11:00 am

Puffdad wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:55 am
He’s got plenty of stories already! You or I would lose our mind coaching that crew. Nobody controls those guys. Why would anybody want to coach and put up with that crap? I bet Beilein doesn’t survive another year.

Well puff, its a pretty good retirement plan, a little better than KPERS, hahahahahahaha. HE is making what, $6-8 million or so this year, and the contract is 5 years, so he survives one year at 66 years old, pockets lets say $7 million, which is twice what he made at Michigan, and he probably gets another 10 or so in a buyout, not a bad retirement plan.

By the way, I am VERY thankful for my KPERS, or will be in a few years, hahahahahaa Unfortunately it won't be 10-15 million.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 27th, 2020, 11:07 am

He was getting 3.5 million at Michigan. I’m not sure how to spend even that much money? 10 million here .10 million there. And he was allowed to have a thought and coach. He’s not hurting for money at 66 years old I can assure you. When one of your players tells you he won’t be attending any of your practices..... how would you take that? 😂

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 27th, 2020, 11:38 am

Puffdad wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 11:07 am
He was getting 3.5 million at Michigan. I’m not sure how to spend even that much money? 10 million here .10 million there. And he was allowed to have a thought and coach. He’s not hurting for money at 66 years old I can assure you. When one of your players tells you he won’t be attending any of your practices..... how would you take that? 😂

I would lose it, I can tell you that. At least Iverson was a Hall of Fame caliber player, can't think of a guy on the Cavs that is worthy of skipping practices

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 27th, 2020, 11:45 am

Well that’s what they put up with in the NBA. I will tell you the WHOLE story sometime! Or better yet we’ll let Dean. But here’s the punchline.

(The unnamed 30 million dollar man and 19 million dollar man said “No practice for us. But if you want to practice with everybody else that’s fine!”)

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » January 27th, 2020, 12:32 pm

College guys go there to avoid recruiting; who can blame them? But maybe dealing with 12 or so monumental egotistical multi-millionaire jerks is just as bad? At least he's well paid. I agree he won't last long in the league, which only increases my respect for him. I'd like to see him come back and coach a D-3 school team for no pay-- just for the love of coaching. He seems like a really class guy to me, in a world where class is in short supply.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 31st, 2020, 9:36 pm

https://dai.ly/x7rckpc

18 points 10 rebounds 4 assists. Watch the footwork on the shots. (Except for the wrong footed runner!)

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 31st, 2020, 10:36 pm

Nice. Better and better.