Asbury Blues - are we witnessing the worst basketball season in 20 years?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdave

Asbury Blues - are we witnessing the worst basketball season in 20 years?

Post by pulitzerdave » January 14th, 2020, 11:04 pm

Folks, this is truth telling time. This team is bad. Asbury bad. Not since the 1999-2000 season, the year Tom Asbury was fired for a last place finish in the Big 12 (2-14) (11-18 overall) have things looked so bleak.

That's 20 years ago.

We've had some nice successes bracketed between these two awful season, but this is where we are now. And it hurts.

There are a myriad of reasons for our team's failures, and I think we've covered them all. But the bottom line for me is simple. We just don't have good enough players. OK, someone finally said it.

We can prop them up all we want, but tonight the glare of the spotlight exposed them. We're poor field goal shooters, poor free throw shooters, poor passers, poor defensive rebounders, poor decision makers and now, shockingly, poor defenders. That's it. End of story.

No more excuses. No more reasons. And possibly, no more wins.

I hope that the last "no more" doesn't happen, but it could.

I'm not down on the team. I'm just trying to tell the truth. The team tries hard and doesn't quit. And I won't stop hoping for a miracle this season. But the realist in me, and should in you, see things clearly. We're missing many parts that must exist to succeed. That doesn't mean you can't support them, cheer for them, pray for them or even believe in them. But I'm exhausted. It hurts to watch them play badly, because I BLEED PURPLE.

Now, it's not the end of the world. We obviously will get better at some point in the future. Maybe even next year. These things don't last forever. And I don't think we're entering into Wooly or Asbury territory. I still think Weber is the right coach. I still think we can be good again. But this season feels already lost. And if I thought it could be saved, I'd say so. But I've seen too much bad basketball to believe that could happen. At least one really bad season out of twenty happens to most programs. We'll get through it.

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » January 14th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Be careful what you say - somebody will tell you to go cheer for KU

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 14th, 2020, 11:50 pm

The talent level on this team is similar to those bleak era's of KSU basketball, there's no denying it. The staff desperately needs this years fresh to take a leap forward, next years class to be ready to contribute immediately, and land another good class in 2021. That's a lot to ask but here's hoping so next year can be successful.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 15th, 2020, 12:11 am

Ksustephens wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:17 pm
Be careful what you say - somebody will tell you to go cheer for KU
I'm aware of that. He also may tell me that I'm not a competitor. He may also call me a punk. He may also call me boy. He may also tell me to "get off my meds".

Goes with the territory of expressing an opinion that someone else doesn't agree with. Those are the kind of posters we see in the season we're in. I don't know them, so I don't care.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 15th, 2020, 12:52 am

Just when they get clicking, and you think they’re over the hump, in a game, they make some bone head plays, turnovers, etc.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » January 15th, 2020, 1:25 am

My personal takeaway from this is that I will make sure that I appreciate it even more when we are good again.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 15th, 2020, 2:06 am

We will be good again. But it will take time and patience. I wish I saw some positives tonight, but there weren't many. Maybe Murphy's free throw shooting, but that's about it.

I can't believe what a Jekyll and Hyde player Diarra is. From highlights to lowlights. Some of his passes are just so awful and careless - and it doesn't seem to bother him that much.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 15th, 2020, 3:10 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 2:06 am
We will be good again. But it will take time and patience. I wish I saw some positives tonight, but there weren't many. Maybe Murphy's free throw shooting, but that's about it.

I can't believe what a Jekyll and Hyde player Diarra is. From highlights to lowlights. Some of his passes are just so awful and careless - and it doesn't seem to bother him that much.
He flings one handed passes off the dribble. He might as well just hand the ball over. If he would stop that, he could move his game up a notch.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » January 15th, 2020, 8:09 am

pulitzerdave wrote:

My friends and I (fairly younger crowd too which I only say to further strengthen my point because usually it’s younger people who will give a pass to Diarras play and call it creative or something) cannot stand Diarra’s “style” of play. He went from a fan favorite to by far my least favorite player to watch on the team.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 15th, 2020, 8:35 am

ksustars754 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:09 am
pulitzerdave wrote:

My friends and I (fairly younger crowd too which I only say to further strengthen my point because usually it’s younger people who will give a pass to Diarras play and call it creative or something) cannot stand Diarra’s “style” of play. He went from a fan favorite to by far my least favorite player to watch on the team.
I agree, but to go a step further, I don't particularly like our offensive style of play. I love the tough defense, but I'm so sick of watching us look lost. If youre not going to get great movement, you better have some guys that can create on their own or you better be a tenacious offensive rebounding team. I think this team would finish in the bottom 3 teams in 7 conferences this year. Let that sink in. P5's, AAC, and the Big East. I wouldn't rule out the MVC if we don't get any better.