COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Hypeman

Re: Kaosi Ezeagu UTEP transfer

Post by Hypeman » January 14th, 2020, 2:18 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 1:54 pm
KsJoey wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Brad Korn should have been replaced a few seasons ago... or at least, that's what the results tell me.
Brad Korn. Lead recruiter on D Gordon, Murphy and A Gordon.

If they need help developing bigs, Weber should bring in outside help if he doesn't think Korn is getting it done.
I don’t know how he coaches the bigs, but those are our best recruits in several years. Maybe we can get him a VCR and a copy of the Kevin McHale big man VHS that he can show they guys. And then he can go back on the road recruiting.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:41 am
Weber is recruiting to save his job. Likely not to be dismissed if incoming class looks promising
Please. Weber is not going anywhere soon unless he decides to or life says so

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 14th, 2020, 3:09 pm

learnin wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
Weber is recruiting to save his job. Likely not to be dismissed if incoming class looks promising
Hard to fire a coach that has won 2 Big 12 championships when prior to last year and TTU, it had been 11 years since any other team but KU won one. And he has 2 of the best classes, on paper, in a very long time (since Beasley's class?). He just coached the USA team. If he fails developing these classes, then sure, he would get fired, but he is going to get the leash to fail a bit while he develops them. The seat probably doesn't have a chance to get hot until 2022.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 14th, 2020, 3:15 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:03 am
with all due respect, i thought dean wade had a hell of career at k-state. i won't go through the accolades but he was certainly better than kids down the kaw who came in with the same or more accolades. i think sometimes we're too close to the trees to see the forest, particularly when suggesting dean wade didn't achieve his potential here. good lord.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ric-lawson
Good points.
No one has given more praise to Dean than this poster who took a lot of ridicule in the process. Dean had a great career at K-State and the stats do not show his full impact because other teams always had to be aware of him when Dean was on the court.

Having said this, I’m going to protest any one who is going to blame coaching for his failure to put up better stats. Perhaps he might not have been handled properly as a freshman, but one has to consider Dean’s injuries and his own lack of attacking offensively. I still remember the Tulsa game where we had 40 some points, no one was hitting, and Dean wouldn’t even look toward the basket even when he caught the ball at the free throw line.

And what’s this about not developing bigs? Do injuries have anything to do with this? Love and Shadd have been injured their whole career. DJ was a 3 star, undersized big, who developed pretty well I would say even though he fought an injury through his whole career.

Mak doesn’t have hands and that is always a death sentence for a big. Trice was a head case and so was the other big who showed great promise and whose name I can’t remember. Stephen Hurt was another Mak. Good shooter, but didn’t have hands.

I’m as frustrated as anyone about the misses when it comes to bigs, and coaching must beat responsibility, but let’s consider all the factors involved.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » January 14th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Hypeman wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 1:39 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Guy is already better than Mawien. We are missing someone who our guards can dump off too when driving or make a missed layup. We need big mean enforcers to compete with the WV and other bruisers in the league. Nothing pretty and maybe DJ good
Being that he is 5th in UTEPs rotation, I will believe it when I see it. I know UTEP may be Texas’ most significant b-ball school outside Houston, but they aren’t that good right now so getting someone they don’t want anymore doesn’t get me pumped up.
Sometimes this board needs to put the koolaid away when it comes to recruits. This kid was viewed as the 5th best option at his position by the UTEP staff on a poor team. Expecting him to be anything more than a body off the bench at this time is being overtly optimistic.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 14th, 2020, 4:45 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Hypeman wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Being that he is 5th in UTEPs rotation, I will believe it when I see it. I know UTEP may be Texas’ most significant b-ball school outside Houston, but they aren’t that good right now so getting someone they don’t want anymore doesn’t get me pumped up.
Sometimes this board needs to put the koolaid away when it comes to recruits. This kid was viewed as the 5th best option at his position by the UTEP staff on a poor team. Expecting him to be anything more than a body off the bench at this time is being overtly optimistic.
Agreed, especially since we aren't known for "big" U, given our past recruitment issues, transfer issues, development issues, and on and on.

This staff has had one very good player over 6'9", one pretty good player at 6'8", and the rest transfer, sit, or don't get better (I'm not including Gip because he wasn't recruited by this staff). Feelings will be hurt, but I don't give two poops. It's the truth.

I don't want Bruce fired! Dean Wade was a great player and I appreciate all he did for KSU! Anything else I need to say since the lazy reader (s) is/are probably lurking and ready to pounce for not blowing sunshine up everyone's butt? You can't speak the truth around here without some cray, cray quoting you, then making crap up that wasn't there, so thought I'd make those two things clear. I'm sure somehow, it'll turn into, "You're prejudice against tall guys "or something ridiculous such as that to distract from the fact that our big men suck and I absolutely blame our staff. They recruited them and they aren't developing them. :banghead: :banghead:

In my opinion, Bruce needs to keep doing his thing with recruiting and pony up to get a dynamic big recruiter and coach because with the 3 pt line moving back and teams throwing up bricks, I think bigs just may be more of a need than they were just a few short years ago.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 14th, 2020, 6:22 pm

wild@nite wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 4:45 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Agreed, especially since we aren't known for "big" U, given our past recruitment issues, transfer issues, development issues, and on and on.

This staff has had one very good player over 6'9", one pretty good player at 6'8", and the rest transfer, sit, or don't get better (I'm not including Gip because he wasn't recruited by this staff). Feelings will be hurt, but I don't give two poops. It's the truth.

I don't want Bruce fired! Dean Wade was a great player and I appreciate all he did for KSU! Anything else I need to say since the lazy reader (s) is/are probably lurking and ready to pounce for not blowing sunshine up everyone's butt? You can't speak the truth around here without some cray, cray quoting you, then making crap up that wasn't there, so thought I'd make those two things clear. I'm sure somehow, it'll turn into, "You're prejudice against tall guys "or something ridiculous such as that to distract from the fact that our big men suck and I absolutely blame our staff. They recruited them and they aren't developing them. :banghead: :banghead:

In my opinion, Bruce needs to keep doing his thing with recruiting and pony up to get a dynamic big recruiter and coach because with the 3 pt line moving back and teams throwing up bricks, I think bigs just may be more of a need than they were just a few short years ago.

I’ve been involved in this discussion so I have to refrain from my moderating duties so that I do not come off as partial. Having said that, I know exactly what you attempted to do. You used Dean as an example of how our coaching staff fails to develop bigs. You did so by saying that:

a. Dean was underused
and:
b. Since leaving, Dean has taken his game to a new level

I’m not even going to attempt countering those two points. I am, however, going to point out the obvious
conclusion from your two points. You made it clear that Dean was a good player, but:

Dean should have been better, but was not because of inferior coaching.

Most of us would agree that Dean could have been more of a factor. I’ll even agree that coaching might have been a factor in that process. I refuse to agree it was the only factor. There were two other factors.

1. Health

2. Dean’s niceness, if you will.

If I have misinterpreted your argument, please point it out while avoiding the name calling.

If I presented your argument, correctly, please inform our readers where you think my counter argument is unreasonable or inaccurate while, once again, avoiding polemic.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » January 14th, 2020, 11:50 pm

learnin wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
Normally I would agree, but if we don't win any Big12 games and people don't think it will get better you will hear a chorus calling for a coaching change. I don't think we will win many league games. So, he has got make a splash in recruiting.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 14th, 2020, 11:53 pm

I think your counter is fine. You had a well thought out response and didn't attempt to twist my words to fit what you want to "believe" I was saying as another blatantly did.

My initial point was taken out of context. In no way was I saying Dean wasn't good or didn't get better. In short, Dean was going to be good. He had coaching in HS (a solid foundation and worked hard). He got stronger and increased production year by year. Who else outside of DJ? The rest have transferred or have not impacted this program by increasing production, but my main concern is our "current" bigs. Something isn't right in this program with our bigs. They are not getting better. Coaching? Training? I really don't know, but it's glaring.

I believe we are 1. Not recruiting the position well enough 2. Not developing it well enough 3. Need a shake up somewhere to do 1 and 2 more efficiently. Tonight, we got 29 minutes, 5 points and 4 rebounds from two veteran bigs with plenty of experience. Very underwhelming.

I would also ask for equillibrium on the board Learnin'. Ive seen a lot worse name calling than what I did (cray, cray? C'mon, the guy was obviously trolling) from some of your buds and don't see anything addressed. I'm just saying, it looks awfully suspicious. I have specific examples, if you'd like. I think we all know what and who I'm referring to though. It's a weekly occurrence as opposed to my one time in how long???

Look, all I'm saying is people need to accept that opinions will differ, but the repeating sarcasm and word twisting is pathetic on here from a couple, so expect the board to suffer if that is allowed to continue. Please address that too. It is done quite often, also as a troll tactic, from one person in particular.

In closing, our team is bad, anyone out there who is going to be offended by blatant observations if that better get thicker skin or not read the posts. It isn't gonna be unicorns and rainbows when we are headed for the worst season since, well, who knows.... That is yet to be determined.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 15th, 2020, 12:55 pm

It all depends on your goals. I believe if you're not going forward you're going backward. If you're happy with where we're at, good, fair enough. Some are, some aren't. I agree with wild. I'm one of those who envisioned 3 league titles and a FF with Dean Wade at the helm. Yes, injuries were a major factor (and there are various theories as to what the problem was and where it came from). I think it's totally in play to blame this staff for the lack of development of quality 5's.