This is just a team with no leadership.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdave

Re: This is just a team with no leadership.

Post by pulitzerdave » January 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Hypeman wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 7:22 am
pulitzerdave wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Justin Edwards was WAY better than Mike McGuirl.

12.7 pts per game senior year, and nearly 200 rebounds in 33 games. Also about 3 assists per game. We could use that kind of production today from Mike's position.
McGurl doesn’t have the frame. He’s tough and a competitor, but doesn’t have the speed. You can close out on him hard and not have to worry about him finishing. I think I posted early season that McGurl would struggle. He plays hard but doesn’t have the foot speed.
I agree. Tough kid, but with limited skills to be a starter in the Big 12. He wouldn't start for any team in this league. That's the whole issue of pointing out these vacant recruiting years as being problematic right now.

I wonder whether he was a top target in our recruiting evaluations that year. If so, then we need to do a better job of vetting these players. McGuirl is a mid-major player, and that's where he should be right now. He's a decent player, but not someone who should be starting for a defending conference championship team. That's so wrong!

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 13th, 2020, 3:19 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Hypeman wrote:

McGurl doesn’t have the frame. He’s tough and a competitor, but doesn’t have the speed. You can close out on him hard and not have to worry about him finishing. I think I posted early season that McGurl would struggle. He plays hard but doesn’t have the foot speed.
I agree. Tough kid, but with limited skills to be a starter in the Big 12. He wouldn't start for any team in this league. That's the whole issue of pointing out these vacant recruiting years as being problematic right now.

I wonder whether he was a top target in our recruiting evaluations that year. If so, then we need to do a better job of vetting these players. McGuirl is a mid-major player, and that's where he should be right now. He's a decent player, but not someone who should be starting for a defending conference championship team. That's so wrong!
Diamond in the rough, real steal, project, etc....take your pick.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 13th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Without a doubt, our woes have been caused, in large part, because Mike and Mak have not contributed much. Frankly, I expected a little more from both. From here on out, D. Gordon needs to start and Mike come off the bench.

LincolnLarry
Been thanked: 0

Post by LincolnLarry » January 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Hypeman wrote:

That’s kind of Weber’s MO though. He replaced Dee Brown with Chester Frazier. I love Chet, guy was a warrior, but was really a reach as a B1G player.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » January 16th, 2020, 7:57 am

Is it a question of player leadership or coach leadership? This team at least on offense many times seems very undisciplined with people trying to do their own thing or not doing what they should. I don't read where Weber said that the team had a good practice. Weber's choice of going to DGordon seems to support my supposition. A clear message to upperclassman.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 16th, 2020, 11:05 am

d'gordon is better than some of the others. that's why he's playing.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

mustang

Post by mustang » January 16th, 2020, 11:18 am

This is at the moment one of the worst teams in Kansas State history, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Weber is in his eighth season and most of his staff has been with him for a good number of years. There should be no excuses in season eight. A high standard was set in football by Bill Snyder, the program slipped and he was replaced. If Bill Snyder can be pushed aside certainly Bruce Weber can. I am attending the game against Oklahoma, am curious to see what the mood of the fans truly is. Unless something like a 2 and 16 or worse conference record occurs I would imagine he will return as coach with next season be a win BIG season or else. I love watching Xavier Sneed, seems like a great kid and loves the game. Hate to see people single out the upperclassmen for this season, it is a collective effort.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 16th, 2020, 11:38 am

mustang stirs the pot wearing a squawk sock, i'm not sure? weber's going nowhere. that case has been made over and over again here. try a new tact.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

mustang

Post by mustang » January 16th, 2020, 11:50 am

tmcats, knows it all😂😂😂

learnin

Post by learnin » January 16th, 2020, 12:43 pm

mustang wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 11:50 am
tmcats, knows it all😂😂😂
In all fairness, mustang, tmcats is just stating the obvious. Coach Weber is not going anywhere for at least 3 years unless he decides to hang it up. The basketball coaching world would think K State athletic department insane for getting rid of him for one or two bad years.