This is just a team with no leadership.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
mustang

Re: This is just a team with no leadership.

Post by mustang » January 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm

If a legend like Snyder was pushed out after a 5 and 7 season and won bowl games in 2017, 2018 one might feel that no one is untouchable. I am looking forward to catching a game in Manhattan to soak in the mood of a K-State basketball game. I was impressed with the football atmosphere even in a loss. I don't know the dynamics of Weber and the AD, but do know nowadays a bad season can get a coach placed on the hottest of hot seats. Currently I noted the guy at Iowa State, Prohm is catching some heat, but doubt he is in jeopardy. Other than Asbury and Wooldridge K-State coaches have either retired or left for good jobs, which is a solid testimony to the program and its history.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 17th, 2020, 3:23 am

mustang wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm
If a legend like Snyder was pushed out after a 5 and 7 season and won bowl games in 2017, 2018 one might feel that no one is untouchable. I am looking forward to catching a game in Manhattan to soak in the mood of a K-State basketball game. I was impressed with the football atmosphere even in a loss. I don't know the dynamics of Weber and the AD, but do know nowadays a bad season can get a coach placed on the hottest of hot seats. Currently I noted the guy at Iowa State, Prohm is catching some heat, but doubt he is in jeopardy. Other than Asbury and Wooldridge K-State coaches have either retired or left for good jobs, which is a solid testimony to the program and its history.
Except Altman. Fired, which was premature in my opinion. I was a student then and hated the decision. I hated it even more when I got a taste of Asbury's arrogance. This started a decade plus of yuck.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 17th, 2020, 8:25 am

wild@nite wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 3:23 am
mustang wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm
[/quote
Except Altman. Fired, which was premature in my opinion. I was a student then and hated the decision. I hated it even more when I got a taste of Asbury's arrogance. This started a decade plus of yuck.
Altman was'nt fired. He resigned to take the job at Creighton. He was reading the mood of the fans and donors and definitely felt his job was in danger. Maybe other factors such as recruiting not going as planned. Who knows but he made the decision to get out before they had a chance to fire him. He grew up in Wilbur Nebraska so could sell his moving to Creighton as going home I guess.

Altmans record at Kansas State was not nearly bad enough to get him fired but lots of fans and boosters were not happy.

Altman's peers named him Big Eight Coach-of-the-Year in 1993 and he capped the season by upsetting No. 6 Kansas 74–67 in the semifinals of the conference tournament.

The following season, he made it two in a row over Kansas when he upset the No. 1 ranked Jayhawks 68–64 in Lawrence. His 1993–94 squad finished the season with a 20–14 record and advanced to the NIT Final Four in New York City. Following the season, he accepted the head coaching position at Creighton, in his home state of Nebrask

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 17th, 2020, 9:21 am

Weber will have two more seasons, besides this one to get things right. I'm confident he will. However, I don't think he's coach for life. I consider this season an anomaly. But if next year is the same, a possible last place finish in the conference, there will be tremendous pressure on him the following year. We'll see how he can stitch these recent recruiting classes together.

The level of success at Kansas State should be high. A bad stretch of years is unsurvivable in any Big 12 program. The days of long-term, Asbury and Wooly patience is over. It will never be tolerated again, despite what was achieved prior to potential bad seasons. That's what faces Weber. He's shown that he can bounce back.

I'd like to see him retire as the all-time winning coach at Kansas State. But he must be held accountable as we go forward. Weber has bought himself a good deal of good will and time. But that won't last forever if he can't win again.

If we begin to show improvement even in this season, and continue on that trajectory next year. Weber and KSU basketball will be fine.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 17th, 2020, 10:14 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 9:21 am
Weber will have two more seasons, besides this one to get things right. I'm confident he will. However, I don't think he's coach for life. I consider this season an anomaly. But if next year is the same, a possible last place finish in the conference, there will be tremendous pressure on him the following year. We'll see how he can stitch these recent recruiting classes together.

The level of success at Kansas State should be high. A bad stretch of years is unsurvivable in any Big 12 program. The days of long-term, Asbury and Wooly patience is over. It will never be tolerated again, despite what was achieved prior to potential bad seasons. That's what faces Weber. He's shown that he can bounce back.

I'd like to see him retire as the all-time winning coach at Kansas State. But he must be held accountable as we go forward. Weber has bought himself a good deal of good will and time. But that won't last forever if he can't win again.

If we begin to show improvement even in this season, and continue on that trajectory next year. Weber and KSU basketball will be fine.
I agree. Though, I will say that next year could easily be as rough. We lose arguably our best player and will rely even more on newcomers and underclassman. That's not necessarily a bad or good thing though considering the circumstances. But I'm sure we'll be projected to finish towards last again next year. Like you said, it's 2021/22 which will be the year where no more excuses are made, and an NCAA tournament/top half conference team expected.

Weber's recruiting woes have got us into this mess. And he'll get a chance to get us out of it. The solid 2020 recruiting class(on paper) is a good start, but it'll take time.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » January 17th, 2020, 11:12 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 9:21 am

Great post and way more level-headed than I act as a fan. The only part I want to hear more about is the “this season is an anomaly” point. This will be the 3rd disastrous season out of his 8 year tenure. To me, this is not an anomaly, this is very much part of the norm for Bruce Weber.

His program from outsiders is viewed as solid/steady when in reality, it’s a huge roller coaster. The perception of consistency is due to the defensive effort and not necessarily the W/L results.