Is this the year...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats

Will the home court winning record streak end this year?

Poll ended at January 1st, 2020, 2:53 pm

No
40%
Yes
60%

Total votes: 20

Hypeman

Re: Is this the year...

Post by Hypeman » January 10th, 2020, 10:27 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 10:18 am
learnin wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Bruce is, also, the first coach in a generation to deliver not one, but two championships. Let that soak in. Are we going to start down this road again?
Apparently so learnin. The "old school" guys will always come out in support of the "ole ball coach" when times are tough.

I'm not happy at all about this season, but that doesn't erase what Weber has done. Hartman and other KSU coaches also had crappy seasons, but once a coach is put on KSU's Mount Rushmore, it's hard to get him down.

I was in school during the Hartman era, and basketball was fun then, and attending games was an "event". Sitting in the student section and cheering on wins was a wonderful experience. But I also sat through some stinking, rotten losses - some that cost us championships. That's the way it is with all coaches.

Personally, I didn't care much for Hartman. He was prickly and difficult to work with. He had little respect for any other KSU sports besides men's basketball. I had first hand experience which shaped that view. I don't know Bruce Weber, and have never been around him. But from a distance, he appears to be a good guy, and someone who would be approachable and kind. I realize that coaching personalities are as different as apples and oranges, but part of a man's greatness extends to how he treats others.

I appreciate Hartman's contribution to KSU basketball and that legacy is intact, but comparing him to Weber for the sake of disparaging Weber is cruel. Both coaches have had success along with mixed results in certain years. My personal feelings about Hartman aside, he was a good coach. But no better, or no worse than Bruce Weber. I'll leave it at that.
Good post p-man.

You mentioned the experience of KSU b-ball games back in the day. I watched WSU last night. That gym looked like an experience. I haven’t see that (outside the KU game) in Bramlege in many many many years. I watched an OSU game the other night and there were ‘maybe’ 2000 people there.

I remember the days when games were an experience and everyone went. Those days seem long past and it’s too bad.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 10th, 2020, 10:51 am

Hypeman wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 10:27 am
pulitzerdave wrote:

Apparently so learnin. The "old school" guys will always come out in support of the "ole ball coach" when times are tough.

I'm not happy at all about this season, but that doesn't erase what Weber has done. Hartman and other KSU coaches also had crappy seasons, but once a coach is put on KSU's Mount Rushmore, it's hard to get him down.

I was in school during the Hartman era, and basketball was fun then, and attending games was an "event". Sitting in the student section and cheering on wins was a wonderful experience. But I also sat through some stinking, rotten losses - some that cost us championships. That's the way it is with all coaches.

Personally, I didn't care much for Hartman. He was prickly and difficult to work with. He had little respect for any other KSU sports besides men's basketball. I had first hand experience which shaped that view. I don't know Bruce Weber, and have never been around him. But from a distance, he appears to be a good guy, and someone who would be approachable and kind. I realize that coaching personalities are as different as apples and oranges, but part of a man's greatness extends to how he treats others.

I appreciate Hartman's contribution to KSU basketball and that legacy is intact, but comparing him to Weber for the sake of disparaging Weber is cruel. Both coaches have had success along with mixed results in certain years. My personal feelings about Hartman aside, he was a good coach. But no better, or no worse than Bruce Weber. I'll leave it at that.
Good post p-man.

You mentioned the experience of KSU b-ball games back in the day. I watched WSU last night. That gym looked like an experience. I haven’t see that (outside the KU game) in Bramlege in many many many years. I watched an OSU game the other night and there were ‘maybe’ 2000 people there.

I remember the days when games were an experience and everyone went. Those days seem long past and it’s too bad.
I agree. Hard to duplicate those times. Lots of noise. Lot's of enthusiasm and lots of pride.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 10th, 2020, 4:21 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
learnin wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Bruce is, also, the first coach in a generation to deliver not one, but two championships. Let that soak in. Are we going to start down this road again?

Great post, pulitzerdave! Thanks for sharing these experiences. I look forward to sitting down with you , at some point, to hear more about these particular experiences.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Learnin and Dave I’ve got a good story on Hartman. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I coached football with a guy who played football at Slippery Rock and then attended K-State as a grad student in P.E. and education. An Italian Mafia type. Anyway he had as a grad student a PE class he taught in Ahearn. Class time was 3-4 he said. He was teaching out on the floor one day in b-ball season and it was about 3:30 and my buddy said a kind of gruff old man with wire rim glasses walked out on the floor and said “You need to get off the floor because my b-ball guys need to start practice.” My buddy said he had no clue who the old fart was! LMAO. Anyway I said what did the coach do? Buddy said he turned around and went and sat in the bleachers with a bunch of tall guys sitting around him and watched his PE class!! I about died laughing and imagining the scenario!

Anyway that night my coaching buddy says he gets a telephone call in the dorm from the college PRESIDENT. The Pres says “by the way if that short guy with wire rim glasses comes out and tells you to get off the floor again.... you get your ass and the class off the damn floor!! 😂 😆 😝

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » January 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Puffdad wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Learnin and Dave I’ve got a good story on Hartman. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I coached football with a guy who played football at Slippery Rock and then attended K-State as a grad student in P.E. and education. An Italian Mafia type. Anyway he had as a grad student a PE class he taught in Ahearn. Class time was 3-4 he said. He was teaching out on the floor one day in b-ball season and it was about 3:30 and my buddy said a kind of gruff old man with wire rim glasses walked out on the floor and said “You need to get off the floor because my b-ball guys need to start practice.” My buddy said he had no clue who the old fart was! LMAO. Anyway I said what did the coach do? Buddy said he turned around and went and sat in the bleachers with a bunch of tall guys sitting around him and watched his PE class!! I about died laughing and imagining the scenario!

Anyway that night my coaching buddy says he gets a telephone call in the dorm from the college PRESIDENT. The Pres says “by the way if that short guy with wire rim glasses comes out and tells you to get off the floor again.... you get your ass and the class off the damn floor!! 😂 😆 😝
This doesn't surprise me Puff. You might as well have called Ahearn Field House, Hartman Field House. He thought he owned the place. During basketball season (which for the most part was in the winter), Hartman hated sharing the field house with the track team. There were permanent bleachers up on all sides, so there was a natural barrier between the track team workouts and Hartman's basketball practices. But he still didn't want us in there, and tried to kick us out on numerous occasions. He and Deloss Dodds nearly came to blows on several occasions. He was a selfish, prickly little man. Good basketball coach, though.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 10th, 2020, 10:42 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
Puffdad wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm

This doesn't surprise me Puff. You might as well have called Ahearn Field House, Hartman Field House. He thought he owned the place. During basketball season (which for the most part was in the winter), Hartman hated sharing the field house with the track team. There were permanent bleachers up on all sides, so there was a natural barrier between the track team workouts and Hartman's basketball practices. But he still didn't want us in there, and tried to kick us out on numerous occasions. He and Deloss Dodds nearly came to blows on several occasions. He was a selfish, prickly little man. Good basketball coach, though.
I can certainly picture that dave. Hartman's nickname was God or at least that was what I heard him called many times by people in the AD.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 11th, 2020, 1:46 am

I won't name the player, but this player blamed himself for Jack's heart attack because he missed crucial FT's in a close game hours before his his attack.

Jack loosened up a bit after that. He drove to our practice one day in 1995 to speak to our players about mental toughness and shooting. Was very good with the kids and definitely wasn't the intense Jack of old. He was smiles and very down to earth.

Shortly after that, he coached the KState women's bball team as interim. Watching him was hilarious because he COULD NOT be the intense coach he once was for that gig.

What many don't know about him is that he played football and bball at Oklahoma State and learned under Henry Iba before leading Coffeyville CC to a 32-0 Natty. That got him hired at Southern Illinois.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 11th, 2020, 10:22 am

Hartman's Ahearn FH was an "event" for sure, but not sure it was equal to Ahearn during Winter's era. Kids camped out for 2 days for the stampede to get into the student section. I, sadly, saw a co-ed get her leg broken against an Ahearn door in the stampede to the seats and I could do nothing to help her as the crowd press was so tight all I could do is go with the flow.

That experience made me aware of how folks get killed in crowds out of control.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 11th, 2020, 10:26 am

I have several Hartman stories , most of which are second hand, but had one personal encounter. I was driving east across Manhattan on Anderson Ave. in my little old pickup in the mid nineties. Traffic was fairly busy and the lights were all out of synch back then. It was always a little frustrating negotiating the area west and south of the university. I was watching the stop lights and trying to time them to avoid stopping 10 times. All of a sudden a big gold Lincoln was right on my bumper, which irritated me so I took my time. When we got to a light with an open left lane the car shot up beside me and it was Jack Hartman shaking his fist and cursing. Wow, some major road rage. I knew he had a really nasty temper and saw it first hand. The guy was definitely wound pretty tight.

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » January 11th, 2020, 10:52 am

Floor's lower with Bruce at the helm.

That's all.

Oh, and yes, this is the year.