It's time to play for the future

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

It's time to play for the future

Post by gdgjr78 » December 7th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Let the freshman play as much as possible this year and hopefully build a base for next year. This team has no chance at making the NCAA tourney and I hope to God some of the incoming freshman can shoot. Our frontcourt is going to get destroyed in conf play.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » December 7th, 2019, 11:55 pm

You play to win every game.

What sort of message are you sending to players like Xavier Sneed, who returned for his senior season, if you just tap-out this year.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » December 8th, 2019, 12:01 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 11:55 pm

What sort of message are you sending to players like Xavier Sneed, who returned for his senior season, if you just tap-out this year.
I think the message you send to Xavier Sneed is you're not getting the job done. And of course Sneed returned for his senior year. Where else was he going to play?

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 8th, 2019, 12:02 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:

I would hope he would see the future of the program as a positive 🤷‍♂️. They aren't going to win playing upperclassmen so let the young guys get experience and hopefully he can make an impact. I love X but he can't create his own offense so unless ulterior threats evolve he will have a poor season.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » December 8th, 2019, 12:23 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:

Agreed. Besides, the freshmen don't have the stamina that the upperclassmen do. They will eventually wear down and hit a wall.

It will take time to get experience, develop chemistry, etc. True, it's no fun watching them shoot poorly from the field or free throw line, but they will get better. We just need to be patient with this team. They are giving their best - lets continue to support them and not give up on them. JMO.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 8th, 2019, 12:44 am

stlcatfan wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 12:23 am
WIldWIllieCat wrote:

Agreed. Besides, the freshmen don't have the stamina that the upperclassmen do. They will eventually wear down and hit a wall.

It will take time to get experience, develop chemistry, etc. True, it's no fun watching them shoot poorly from the field or free throw line, but they will get better. We just need to be patient with this team. They are giving their best - lets continue to support them and not give up on them. JMO.
So you are arguing that Weber shouldn't play the freshman because the upperclassmen will lose with more dignity? This team has one goal at this point and its letting the underclassmen gain experience.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » December 8th, 2019, 1:30 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 12:44 am
stlcatfan wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 12:23 am

So you are arguing that Weber shouldn't play the freshman because the upperclassmen will lose with more dignity? This team has one goal at this point and its letting the underclassmen gain experience.
No, that is not what I am arguing. I never said Weber shouldn't play the freshmen. What I was saying was that we shouldn't give up on the upperclassmen and just give the freshmen all the minutes. By all means, we need to get the freshmen experience, but they are limited in what they can do right now. They will get better with experience, but they need to be brought along.

The other part I was arguing was to for us fans to be patient with this team. There are a lot of new players playing significant minutes and even the veterans are in a new role. They are the new leaders of this team. Dean, Barry, and Kam are gone. It will take time for the chemistry to get developed - we just need to be patient. They are giving it their all to get better.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » December 8th, 2019, 1:56 am

The freshmen will be getting all the experience they need or want.

learnin

Post by learnin » December 8th, 2019, 2:04 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 12:02 am
WIldWIllieCat wrote:

I would hope he would see the future of the program as a positive 🤷‍♂️. They aren't going to win playing upperclassmen so let the young guys get experience and hopefully he can make an impact. I love X but he can't create his own offense so unless ulterior threats evolve he will have a poor season.
"I love X but he can't create his own offense so unless ulterior threats evolve he will have a poor season."

Precisely. This is why D. Gordon needs to see more playing time and be encouraged to do more offensively. He's our best shot at finding another scorer, which will open things up a little more for Mak, X and Cartier.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » December 8th, 2019, 7:47 am

WIldWIllieCat wrote:

this is where coaches are smarter than posters willie. I hope/expect they understand that the program has to continue. the things that grow/develop players during good times are also the things that grow/develop players in rough times.

just tossing all the youngsters out there for 'minutes' is kind of like nutrition: have to be sure those minutes aren't like 'empty calories'.

I get frustration. watched last night. really tough to watch all those shots just 'not fall'.

we have flashes. we just can't string them together.

YET.

do what you all want, I won't give up on these guys.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest