It's time to play for the future

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: It's time to play for the future

Post by learnin » December 10th, 2019, 1:20 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 12:49 pm
If you’re looking for some positive Kansas State basketball news, it comes in the form of head coach Bruce Weber earning quite the award today.

On Monday morning, USA basketball announced that Weber was named a co-recipient of the 2019 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year, alongside Louisville women’s basketball’s Jeff Walz. Both coaches led their respective USA Basketball teams to 7-0 records and gold medals in the 2019 FIBA U19 World Cup this summer.
GP
You beat me to this. This probably deserved a thread of it's own. Thanks for posting and congrats to Coach Weber!

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » December 10th, 2019, 7:41 pm

learnin wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Puffdad wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 10:18 am

I probably should have moved this to a new thread. But I’ll try again for those who recognize somethings different with Cartier and would like to see him get it fixed. My own thoughts it is mostly answer e with a little bit of a and d affecting him right now.

Good food for discussion, puffdad. We know that Cartier is a decent shooter. Even last year, he was one of our best shooters. Xavier is, also, a decent shooter. I believe Sloan is a decent shooter along with D. and A. Gordon. Mak is a decent shooter when he's facing the basket. Mike is a decent shooter. Weber says this is a good shooting team and I agree from what I saw before the year began and based on history.

I agree with your answers. There is no doubt that added pressure was placed upon X and Cartier with the loss of three of the better scorers in program history. They now feel they have to step up their scoring.

At any rate, pun intended, the shooting has to improve. They are overthinking this shooting thing. They're not the first to do so. It seems, every year, our teams, especially early in the season, can hardly throw it in the barn. Every year, our teams miss layups, bunnies and shoot dismal from the free throw line and 3 point line.

It's mind games and why it happens, every year, I cannot explain. As xtrawildcat pointed out, it generally gets better as the season proceeds.
At the free throw line, against Marquette, our players were taking way too long to shoot a free throw. The more you think, the more you're going to miss. One time, Cartier took so long, I thought the refs were going to blow a whistle. What happened? He almost missed the whole rim. It went way off to the left. After shooting and barely missing a 3, I saw Cartier repeating his form before proceeding back on defense.

Sometimes, I believe our players, or others who report to the players, read forums and see all the comments we fans make about poor shooting and then our guys begin to over think shooting. So, players, if you're reading, DON'T OVERTHINK THIS. You're good shooters. Let it fly. If you miss, the next one is going in! Step up to the darned free throw line. Get the ball from the official. Take two bounces at the most, pull up and shoot. Do not think about form.

The game of basketball is a game of rhythm. Have you ever seen someone, who does not have rhythm, try to dance? If you have rhythm, you don't need to think about it. It comes natural. Motion, rhythm.......you can't have one without the other. That's why teams are more accurate on 3's, as a general rule, when balls are kicked out to them. They step in to it and a natural rhythm is produced. Even a pure shooter who can shoot off the dribble...creating his or her own shot......it's a thing of rhythm. That ball is pounding the floor....it pops up into the hand, and when the shooter feels the rhythm is flowin, he springs to the air and releases....swish.

Think about what DJ did to begin making free throws. He developed a rhythm. He would bounce the ball a couple of times and then he would backspin the ball on the last bounce, catch it and shoot.

The time to think about form, etc., is at practice. During scrimmages, and games, you better be in the zone....not thinking....but feeling it.
It's just like golf. The longer you stand over the ball, the less likely you are to hit a good shot. You are right learnin, it should all be done in practice where you ingrain muscle memory. The two sports are similar in that respect.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 11th, 2019, 9:16 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 6:59 pm
One correction. I double checked the three percentages and we shot 30% from three last year in non con. Same as we are shooting this year.

One thing that will help that percentage is the guys who are not making them will not be on the court or if they are, will reduce their attempts.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the line move back this year? So we are shooting the same percentage this year as last, and the line is a foot further back.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » December 11th, 2019, 10:16 am

Gorhoops wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 9:16 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 6:59 pm
One correction. I double checked the three percentages and we shot 30% from three last year in non con. Same as we are shooting this year.

One thing that will help that percentage is the guys who are not making them will not be on the court or if they are, will reduce their attempts.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the line move back this year? So we are shooting the same percentage this year as last, and the line is a foot further back.
Yes it is moved back. Three point % for the entire country is down about 1.5% so far. Have to wait to see what that is after a full year.

I think I am seeing more variance from game to game and therefore more variation in wins and losses by top teams. But I have nothing to base that on. Just seems like more upsets of top ranked teams although that may be my recency bias.

But also maybe that makes a shooters slump more pronouced. So Carti is shooting 21% from three so far and maybe a shorter line would make that 25%.

Overall, we need A Gordon and Murphy when he gets back to start hitting some of the threes they are taking. I think both guys can hit threes but freshmanitis or first year itis may be impacting that. Best hope we see some of their shots from range drop this year.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 14th, 2019, 3:49 pm

I will reiterate my belief that the main goal of this season should be getting the underclassmen as much experience as possible. This team isn't making the NIT the way it is currently constructed.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

wazucat

Post by wazucat » December 14th, 2019, 4:07 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 3:49 pm
I will reiterate my belief that the main goal of this season should be getting the underclassmen as much experience as possible. This team isn't making the NIT the way it is currently constructed.
Amen Brother :agree:

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 14th, 2019, 4:42 pm

the main goal is always to win. if you don't believe that, you've probably never competed for much of anything meaningful.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

catl

Post by catl » December 14th, 2019, 4:44 pm

In that case, they need to find a center without hands of stone

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 14th, 2019, 5:04 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Agreed, and that is pretty much what’s happening. They are getting good minutes. Once Murphy is back, I think he’ll get as many minutes as he’ll want.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » December 14th, 2019, 7:05 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 4:42 pm
the main goal is always to win. if you don't believe that, you've probably never competed for much of anything meaningful.
Lol, I'm one of the most competitive people I know but I also realize this season is going to be a struggle and the only hope we have is the young guys mature and embrace the system because the upperclassmen are what they are. I realize any perceived slight to Weber sends you into meltdown mode and the personal attacks fly around but it doesn't change anything. Go throw a couple games of darts at your board with Frank Martin's face on it, that'll cheer you up 🤣
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"