Has liked: 368 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Monmouth Game Notes and Thread

Post by Section 12-2 » November 13th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Sir Ocelot wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:09 pm
Are Nigel and James injured?

Was Shaun on the bench?
All three were on the bench. Not dressed out.
These users liked Section 12-2 for the post:
Sir Ocelot (November 13th, 2019, 11:09 pm)

Section 12-2
Has liked: 368 times

Post by Section 12-2 » November 13th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Sloan impressed in the 2nd half. Coach made sure all of the first year players played a bunch

stlcatfan
Has liked: 637 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by stlcatfan » November 13th, 2019, 10:34 pm

INTERSTATEDAD wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Cats need to grow up and be reading to play hard and under control for 40 minutes before conference.
Good lessons for them to learn while playing non P5 competition. Hopefully, they will be more seasoned and ready to play once the conference games roll around.

Nice comeback, though, for the 'Cats. 3-0! Keep it going.

pulitzerdave
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by pulitzerdave » November 13th, 2019, 11:04 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:09 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:04 pm
What happened is we started to play TEAM basketball, share the ball and make transition baskets caused by better defense. We were as good in the second half, as we were bad in the first. We are still missing a player who plays with intelligence when things start to go south like they did in the first half. Cartier does not settle the team down when sloppy play starts, instead, he presses and makes things worse. He has to learn how to lead for two halves.
Cartier is definitely trying to figure out how to run point and be the key to the offense. He is struggling to find that middle ground between being too aggressive and too passive. Hopefully he gets a better feel for it as the season progresses.
Nothing passive about Cartier, that's for sure. He exudes energy, but sometimes not too much poise. When the dam starts to leak, he thinks that he has to plug it all by himself. He's pressing. He's also well scouted. Teams know he likes to put his head down and attack. The defense collapses on him and he gets tunnel vision. In the second half he started to kick it out.

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by xtrawildcat » November 14th, 2019, 12:17 am

Back from the game. I was actually impressed with Monmouths defense in the first half combined with us missing open shots. Our defense for the first 15 minutes of the second half was as good as I have seen and created offense for us..
Mawien made a big difference in the second half with boards, defense and some nice offense. In 17 minutes he was in he game, he had 11 points and 9 rebounds. 5 for 5 on free throws from your big man also helps.

Quite a bit of time in the first half we had four newcomers on the floor. Good or bad, it was interesting.

Sloan did some really nice things in the second half.

I still believe we won't have a good feel for how good this team is any time soon. Going to be a lot of variation from game to game and even half to half as we saw tonight.

Final stats.
https://www.kstatesports.com/documents/ ... 4_book.PDF

learnin
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 266 times

Post by learnin » November 14th, 2019, 1:14 am

Very good second half. Weber summed the first half up well. Missed some early shots and began hanging their heads. We had good shots to open up the game with even lay ups and mid range. They just wouldn’t fall. One of these days, they will and it will make a difference.

I still believe they need to get D Gordon in the mix sooner than later. This kid , I’m telling you, is a baller. He attacks the offensive boards better than I’ve seen a Wildcat player do in a long time. He explodes to the glass. He is lightning quick. I saw Weber prodding him during the first half when thing’s weren’t going well. He motioned DaJuan toward the basket. Someone put a shot up and he sprang toward the glass. It looked like his head was above the rim.in the second half, he crashed and made a highlight reel outback that an official took away because he felt sorry for the other team. Sometimes the kid takes off and he’s so quick, it’ blows you away.

At the beginning of the season, I posted that I thought one of our newcomers would be the most important peace in the upcoming season. I believe D. Gordon is that man. This first half sluggish offense needs to look toward him sooner than later. By being the most important, I’m not suggesting that he will be the best player. I am suggesting that the young man has the ability to make a real difference this year Similar to watch Marcus foster did his freshman year.
These users liked learnin for the post (total 2):
Toranut97 (November 14th, 2019, 7:49 am) • Section 12-2 (November 14th, 2019, 9:55 am)

ksustars754
Has liked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » November 14th, 2019, 6:49 am

Section 12-2 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:24 pm
SkeeterZX190 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:08 pm
I didn't hear why Dajuan's putback slam was waved off. Basket interference?
Yep. Basket interference
And a miserably bad call at that. I can’t believe they made that call.

I love Dajuan in general on the offensive boards. He has great effort combined with great instincts as to where the ball will come off the rim. It’s super impressive.
These users liked ksustars754 for the post:
Section 12-2 (November 14th, 2019, 9:55 am)

Highway26north
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Highway26north » November 14th, 2019, 7:46 am

Carti is a work in progress. He's playing the same way he played as an off guard but it doesn't work so well when you're supposed to be running the show. When he adjusts and the kids get more comfortable they'll be ok. Mak seems exactly the same-fills up the stat sheet, makes great plays and frustrates you. That's who he is and it's a lot more positive than negative. The foul trouble may be less of a problem as the freshman bigs develop.

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by xtrawildcat » November 14th, 2019, 10:16 am

Highway26north wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 7:46 am
Carti is a work in progress. He's playing the same way he played as an off guard but it doesn't work so well when you're supposed to be running the show. When he adjusts and the kids get more comfortable they'll be ok. Mak seems exactly the same-fills up the stat sheet, makes great plays and frustrates you. That's who he is and it's a lot more positive than negative. The foul trouble may be less of a problem as the freshman bigs develop.
I don't disagree about mak but there was nothing about what he did last night to be frustrated about.

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 166 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » November 14th, 2019, 10:27 am

We fans best not get frustrated with this young/mixed team. It will continue to have growing pains until at least the last half of the B12 game.

Our frosh are very good overall. Our juco guard is very good, too. Weber and crew will just have to coach, teach, mix and match until this team gels. Most of Weber's team have not shot well until late in the season.