Who is the most important player??

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
Puffdad
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: Who is the most important player??

Post by Puffdad » September 17th, 2019, 9:24 pm

The title of this thread is who is the most “important” player, not the best player. Huge difference between the two. I think Mak is the most important player only because he is the only player we have who has no one else that has shown that he can play the 5. If we lose a guard we probably can cover that for a while. If we lose Mak, or he doesn’t play well, it will be a long season. I hope he can do it. I’m not sure, but he is the one player we have that must have a good year imo.
These users liked Puffdad for the post:
tmcats (September 18th, 2019, 12:31 pm)

pulitzerdave
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by pulitzerdave » September 17th, 2019, 9:41 pm

The fact that Mak is our only big that we can depend on is sad. That says something about our poor recruiting at that position. Mak doesn't have to set the world on fire for us to be a good team. Block some shots, get some rebounds, stay out of foul trouble, and don't fumble the ball in the paint. That's not too much to ask. But so far, three of those four have been grossly inconsistent.

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by xtrawildcat » September 17th, 2019, 9:49 pm

About a month away from the season getting underway to the point where we will start to see some scrimmages. Then exhibition games.
I suggest we wait and see what our big men can do this year before believing Mak is the only guy that we can depend on.
Along with Love, Stockard and Shadd, we also added two six ft 9 freshman. Those two guys seem to be forwards but lets see what they can actually do on the court.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » September 18th, 2019, 5:40 am

Next year's team will be a guard oriented one. If we start going into the paint, expecting Mak to make major contributions, we'll stifle what has been one of Weber's coaching strengths - a motion offense built around guards who can pressure defenses with their athleticism and movement. Whenever we try to feed the post, we stand around too much.

Mak is NOT going to be the most important player next season. Mostly because he lacks a killer instinct. He's not a good rebounder for his position, but if he can improve that aspect of his game by 2 per game, I'd be happy. He is what he is. His offense has improved some, but he's not your go-to guy. Too many fumbled passes and balls stripped because he doesn't command the paint. The 5 position has been a glaring weakness for some time now. I'm waiting for that one special recruit to change that.

Gorhoops
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Gorhoops » September 18th, 2019, 8:33 am

Good hoops discussions, enjoy reading everyone's opinions. Although I am a bit sad that we don't get to watch Dean and Barry any longer, I am still excited for the season. No matter who any of us think the most important guy will be, the one thing that is without a doubt is some guys will have to step up and step into new roles, and the fun is finding out whether they can do it or not.

katlander
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 140 times

Post by katlander » September 19th, 2019, 12:00 am

The good thing is that we have a lot of good options and interesting combinations to put on the floor. A lot of teams do very well with a guard dominated team. Hopefully some other bigger guys will be surprisingly good this year. Hopefully we can land a really good recruit for the 5 spot next year. But looking at that position historically Mak is pretty darn good. He is a very good defender and decent rebounder. He gas shown flashes which indicate there is upside in other areas. Levi, Nigel, Love, Murphy & A Gordon will have to rest Mak and fill in when he gets in foul trouble. Probably Levi will be the primary reliever for Mak.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » September 19th, 2019, 6:13 am

katlander wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:00 am
The good thing is that we have a lot of good options and interesting combinations to put on the floor. A lot of teams do very well with a guard dominated team. Hopefully some other bigger guys will be surprisingly good this year. Hopefully we can land a really good recruit for the 5 spot next year. But looking at that position historically Mak is pretty darn good. He is a very good defender and decent rebounder. He gas shown flashes which indicate there is upside in other areas. Levi, Nigel, Love, Murphy & A Gordon will have to rest Mak and fill in when he gets in foul trouble. Probably Levi will be the primary reliever for Mak.
There is nothing more frustrating than a player showing "flashes" of good play, and then reverting to mediocrity. One can call it "potential", or "upside". But often it's what it is - "inconsistency". I believe it's more about a mindset, than anything physical. Staying engaged in the game, even when you're not getting the ball, is often difficult for bigs. Guards handle on every possession, but the 5 guy can often feel like the forgotten man.

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by xtrawildcat » September 19th, 2019, 8:05 am

Mak has already shown he is a good player. One of the best defenders at his position in the Big 12 and his rebounding is on par with other Big 12 players at his position.
What he does on offense will largely depend on what the coaches want from him. I am expecting him to step out and take more jump shots this year
We'll see.

Gorhoops
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Gorhoops » September 19th, 2019, 8:21 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 6:13 am
katlander wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:00 am
There is nothing more frustrating than a player showing "flashes" of good play, and then reverting to mediocrity. One can call it "potential", or "upside". But often it's what it is - "inconsistency". I believe it's more about a mindset, than anything physical. Staying engaged in the game, even when you're not getting the ball, is often difficult for bigs. Guards handle on every possession, but the 5 guy can often feel like the forgotten man.

That is why I am intrigued by what potential Mak might actually have now that the 3 seniors have moved on. Heck, we did quite a bit of complaining over the last few years about how the guards would not get Dean the ball nearly enough, let alone Mak. I am quite certain Mak did not expect to get many touches when he was playing with Kam, Barry, Carti, X and Dean. Sometimes when the touches came he did great, other times, like at WVU last year, he fumbled the ball and missed easy dunks. Mak might be the ultimate test of whether a fan is glass half full or glass half empty. Those that are glass half full KSU fans will say that a few times when Dean was out and we needed some scoring, Mak stepped up, like that KU game two years ago in Sprint or a few times last year, and now that Mak is one of the main returners, he should be more confident and focused to play a much greater role on offense. However, the glass half empty folks will say he hasn't done it consistently for two years, what makes you think he will all of a sudden become a consistent double digit scorer? Both of those arguments have some merit. Will be fun to see.

The one thing I will say, I sure hope Mak stays healthy all year, regardless of whether he gets more consistent on offense. We need him on the floor either way.

pipe95
Been liked: 15 times

Post by pipe95 » September 19th, 2019, 9:58 am

I wish Mak would shed some weight. Not a fan of the strength coach adding so much bulk to our bigs, really seemed to slow Mak down last year.