nike believes there's no law or regs being broken?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

nike believes there's no law or regs being broken?

Post by tmcats » August 21st, 2019, 5:25 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/just-ignore-it ... 18802.html

At the very least, Nike is standing behind a system that routinely jeopardizes player’s NCAA eligibility (whether you agree with that or not) and is suspected of using those payments, and potential blackmail ineligibility provides, to allow Nike to choose the college destination of top recruits.

Money buys silence.

Kansas, after all, famously cried it was a victim of its shoe-partner, Adidas, when it was revealed Adidas helped them try to land top prospects. Then it immediately turned around and signed a new, long-term deal with Adidas because it needs that Adidas money and, if it was honest, the help with recruits, too.

If corruption is everywhere, then it’s nowhere.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

learnin

Post by learnin » August 22nd, 2019, 8:31 am

They convicted a few no name scape goats while Big Money got off scot free.

Play Ball!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 22nd, 2019, 10:58 am

yep learnin', this is turning out like the skeptics and cynics said it would, nothing happens to the blues.

kinsleycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinsleycat » August 22nd, 2019, 9:34 pm

Of course they're going to say it's Ok to pay recruits. It's just business don't ya know. It' like the poacher that illegally harvests a trophy buck. It doesn't really hurt anybody, does it? Except for the young man who waits for rifle season to start and doesn't trespass, but who cares about the law abiding hunter anyway?

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » August 26th, 2019, 9:20 pm

What do we expect them to say. This is what corporations always say and do. They are told, like puppets, what to say by legal council. The basic formula is deny while lies are formulated, then execute the plan which can be made to best retroactively fit the circumstances. Lie, deny, deny, lie, play the victim, accuse others, find loopholes, minimize the seriousness, rinse & repeat. Same ol, same ol. Same BS different day.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » August 26th, 2019, 9:43 pm

So true. The corporate plan is to stall things out in any way possible in order to minimize damage until the news cycle moves on to something else.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 27th, 2019, 10:56 am

y'all paint corporations with a very broad brush. let me tell you, i've worked in the usarmy, at k-state, as mayor of a midwestern city and for two corporations. chevron was by far the most ethical institution in that group. yes, the company made mistakes. but in my 25 years there, i never saw it do the wrong thing intentionally. comparing what happens in commerce generally with college basketball and shoe companies is a bad choice.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » August 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm

tmcats wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:56 am
y'all paint corporations with a very broad brush. let me tell you, i've worked in the usarmy, at k-state, as mayor of a midwestern city and for two corporations. chevron was by far the most ethical institution in that group. yes, the company made mistakes. but in my 25 years there, i never saw it do the wrong thing intentionally. comparing what happens in commerce generally with college basketball and shoe companies is a bad choice.
Good to hear that some corporations are truly ethical and not just creating window dressing for public consumption. I probably should have used the term organization rather than corporation. I have seen this scenario play out too many times to not become skeptical of corporate behavior which is purportedly for the public good. Are you contending that Nike truly believes they did nothing wrong and/or illegal?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 27th, 2019, 4:57 pm

media does all it can to paint corporations as bad dudes and ladies, seldom shedding light on the great things they do in our country. remember, corporations rallied in ww2 to build a behemoth armed forces almost overnight that destroyed the nazis. chevron's 2015 cash donations were $200 million. the jon and ruth ann wefald pavilion in city park was built with $800,000 in matching corporate gifts, $500k from gtm (now hanes). we focus only on the dark side when johnson & johnson makes a horrible marketing choice or nike buys players.

do i think nike cheats and operates unethically, yes. so does the ncaa. they are the governing institution that does nothing but cast shade on fixes. their chief officers didn't even attend the fbi trials. too busy. the ncaa is run by our college presidents. k-state's kirk schulz was ncaa president. it's baffling that nothing gets done. but academics are a protected breed evidently, while corporations are quite the opposite.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » September 9th, 2019, 4:59 pm

And Duke finds during "their" investigation that they did nothing wrong and Zion wasnt paid. LOL. If I am up for trial, do I get to be the prosecutor and the judge in the matter. Why even report that? Geez, who is going to believe it.