We should have a decent team this year.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
KsJoey

Re: We should have a decent team this year.

Post by KsJoey » August 12th, 2019, 8:19 am

The pieces are there. Maiwen, Sneed, and Diarra are upperclassmen could start for most teams. However, none of them have lead a team or were typically the leading scorers, so there's a lot of question marks over whether they can take another step forward. Honestly, of those 3, I think Diarra has the most upside. With Sneed and Maiwen, you kind of know what you're getting. Sure they will improve their stats not having to defer.., but I think Diarra will be the guy for this team most nights. I can see him doubling his PPG from last season and being 2nd team all conf. Just my guess!

I also think we'll see a lot of the freshmen this year.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » August 12th, 2019, 10:09 am

I think Mawien is the mystery man here. Maybe to you to because of the misspelling. Ha!

Anyway, he seems to have a really nice jump shot from short range. But, that is offset by his small/weak/ whatever hands and tepid play under the basket. Too many fumbles.

I think he has an upside for sure and i hope it blossoms.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 12th, 2019, 10:42 am

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
3h3 hours ago
More
Big 12 Offseason Power Rankings for 19-20:

1. Kansas
2. Texas Tech
3. Baylor
4. Oklahoma
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma State
7. West Virginia
8. Kansas State
9. Iowa State
10. TCU
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 12th, 2019, 10:44 am

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
2h2 hours ago
More
10 Breakout Big 12 Players for 19-20 (in no particular order):

Tyrese Haliburton, ISU
Cartier Diarra, Kansas State
Courtney Ramey, Texas
Kyler Edwards, TT
Kevin Samuel, TCU
Ochai Agbaji, KU
Silvio De Sousa, KU
Jamal Bienemy, OU
Isaac Likekele, Oklahoma State
Emmitt Matthews, WVU

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 12th, 2019, 11:03 am

WAY-TOO-EARLY NBC POWER RANKINGS
1. KANSAS: The Jayhawks were knocked from their perch last year, but it took quite the sequence of events – along with one of the country’s best teams (Texas Tech) and one of it’s most experienced (Kansas State) – to finally make it happen after 14 years. If Bill Self and Co. can avoid the turmoil, this team should be good enough to reclaim the crown they were so hesitant to give up. Udoka Azubuike is a throwback big whom the league will have few answers for while the backcourt should improve from last season.

2. TEXAS TECH: This time last year, we were wondering how Chris Beard would try to replace Keenan Evans and Zhaire Smith well enough to get back to the NCAA tournament. The task is similar this year, but the expectations are raised. What we know is that Beard is going to get this team to defend, and if they can squeeze some offense out, the Red Raiders can follow the same blueprint they’ve ridden to so much success the last two seasons.

3. BAYLOR: The Bears overachieved last year, and with Clark back in the fold plus strong transfer reinforcements, Baylor is going to be a force to be reckoned with this season. Scott Drew has gone from everyone’s favorite joke to make to being a coach you can count on to get the most out of his teams.

4. IOWA STATE: This is probably a best-case scenario for the Cyclones, who will be replacing a lot from last year’s team but have a solid core returning. Steve Prohm’s team could play big this season with two bigs, and that will put considerable pressure on the backcourt of Tyrese Haliburton and Prentiss Nixon to produce. The key could be whether or not Penn State transfer Rasir Bolton gets a transfer waiver. He’s got the scoring skills the Cyclones sorely need.

5. TEXAS: A little bit of shooting would go a long way for the Longhorns, but Texas’ season will likely hinge largely on just getting its returners to take a leap forward. If that doesn’t happen, the Longhorns are probably on the outside looking in on the NCAA tournament and questions about Smart’s job status will get louder – especially with all the success happening out in Lubbock.

6. KANSAS STATE: Bruce Weber has a lot of production to replace, but Xavier Sneed and Carter Diarra are nice building blocks from which to start.

7. OKLAHOMA: Losing Christian James is going to put pressure on Brady Manek to step up offensively while Kristian Doolittle should take a step in his development as well. Wichita State transfer Austin Reaves’ ability to stretch defenses will be huge.

8. TCU: Jamie Dixon seemingly nearly left for his native Southern California and the UCLA job, but instead returns to his alma mater in Fort Worth with the roster not in as strong a position as it has been the last two years. Looks like rebuilding for the Horned Frogs.

9. OKLAHOMA STATE: Mike Boynton has done an admirable job with a tough situation in Stillwater. Isaac Likekele is drawing strong reviews with Team USA’s U19 squad and both Lindy Waters and Cam McGriff are proven Big 12 players, but there are too many question marks here to feel strongly about the Cowboys breaking through.

10. WEST VIRGINIA: It’s not particularly hard to see this ranking prove to be considerably off given what we’ve seen Bob Huggins transform some rosters into, but last year was such a debacle that it’s difficult to peg the Mountaineers making a major move up the standings.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... ck-on-top/

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » August 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm

I think Beard is a great coach, but replacing Evans and Smith is not really the same as replacing Culver, Mooney, Owens, Francis, Odiase

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » August 12th, 2019, 4:30 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm
I think Beard is a great coach, but replacing Evans and Smith is not really the same as replacing Culver, Mooney, Owens, Francis, Odiase
True, but no one expected Culver to be what he became. Just meaning Beard can recruit and he may already have the next Culver on his roster. And them playing in the NC game couldn’t have hurt the recruiting they did immediately after to complete this year’s squad.

I personally think it will be more reload than rebuild with Beard at the helm, but we shall see.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » August 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm

One other comment on Beard. If we had to replace Weber and could pick one coach currently coaching in the Big12, my first choice is Beard, even over Self. I may be in the minority or even on an island by myself but that’s who I choose.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » August 12th, 2019, 5:55 pm

bhoovy wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:30 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm
True, but no one expected Culver to be what he became. Just meaning Beard can recruit and he may already have the next Culver on his roster. And them playing in the NC game couldn’t have hurt the recruiting they did immediately after to complete this year’s squad.

I personally think it will be more reload than rebuild with Beard at the helm, but we shall see.
His 2018 and 2019 class does have a ton of talent in them to help. I was just saying that he lost a lot more this year, then the year prior.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » August 12th, 2019, 6:29 pm

bhoovy wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm
One other comment on Beard. If we had to replace Weber and could pick one coach currently coaching in the Big12, my first choice is Beard, even over Self. I may be in the minority or even on an island by myself but that’s who I choose.
Beard has a very high regard for Weber by the way. After his loss at Bramlage in his first season at Texas Tech, he commented that the only consolation was shaking hands with a great guy in Bruce Weber. Both coaches value defense quite a bit, so that may be a link to their coaching philosophies.