We should have a decent team this year.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Sir Ocelot

Re: We should have a decent team this year.

Post by Sir Ocelot » August 17th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Harv can tell us more. I recall that Coach Weber had a very talented and very troubled player on one his Illinois teams named Jereme Richmond.

I am not sure how that was handled but I know that Richmond was only on the Illinois team for one year and I think that he ended the season (including the NCAA tournament) suspended. I think that Richmond got into a fight with a teammate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jereme_Richmond

The point is that Foster was not the first time that Coach Weber had a very talented player who was major trouble for the team.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » August 17th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Yeah, Richmond was a tragic and disturbing story -- much worse than Foster. He was a tremendously talented player from an early age, but he went off the tracks even before leaving high school. Initially he seemed to have had a strong family unit for support, but his mother and father divorced while he was in high school, and things seemed to spiral downward. He was a McDonald's All-American and Illinois Mr. Basketball before coming to UI in spite of behavior issues.

He displayed flashes of talent as a freshman, but his mental state seemed to only get worse. He eventually was suspended from the team prior to the NCAA tournament. He opted for the NBA draft, but went undrafted. From that point on things got worse in hurry with serious drug issues followed by a violent criminal confrontation involving his girlfriend (and a gun). He was sentenced to three years in prison, but was released about a year later. Foster was a total success story compared to Richmond.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » August 19th, 2019, 1:46 pm

John Kurtz @jlkurtz
Aug 16
This is good news for K-State hoops. Juco PG David Sloan has been dealing with a broken wrist.

David Sloan@dsloan_4
Aug 16
cleared to play basketball again. GOD is good! 😇 It’s been too long

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » August 21st, 2019, 3:44 am

Will we be faster? If yes, is that good? Were we too slow last year?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 21st, 2019, 11:13 am

seems inordinately quiet around the program this year for some reason. perhaps because coach weber was off winning a usa championship. i can't help but note that the usa gals came in second, the team peyton williams played with, and think of the blowback that would have come if weber's team had not won gold? :o
Why is there something rather than nothing?

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » August 21st, 2019, 12:36 pm

tmcats wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:13 am
seems inordinately quiet around the program this year for some reason. perhaps because coach weber was off winning a usa championship. i can't help but note that the usa gals came in second, the team peyton williams played with, and think of the blowback that would have come if weber's team had not won gold? :o
I honestly think the blow-back would have probably mostly come from KSU fans that will never accept Weber (sad reality). Popovich might have some trouble at the World Championships this year as a lot of the top US pros have opted not to play. We'll see if he gets blame if they fail, or if the players skipping it do.

As far as the women go...women's sports just don't move the needle a ton with the exception of the World Cup...& it is fairly irrelevant across the globe (compared to the men's).

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » August 21st, 2019, 2:24 pm

tmcats wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:13 am
John Calipari only won a bronze in 2017.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » August 21st, 2019, 2:25 pm

Well it was smart of USA Basketball to get a real coach like Weber to coach that U19 group this year rather than a freaking greasy used car salesman like Cal that couldn't even make the final in 2017. Not sure the group this summer was even challenged much, won the final by 14.

wazucat

Post by wazucat » August 27th, 2019, 11:15 am

SCKSCat wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Joe Lunardi is picking us to make the Big tournament. I think our newebsite guys will bring a lot of energy.
I was called an idiot on this forum for quoting Joe Lunardi's opinion about 6 months ago, just saying LOL :wink:

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » August 27th, 2019, 2:56 pm

wazucat wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:15 am
SCKSCat wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Joe Lunardi is picking us to make the Big tournament. I think our newebsite guys will bring a lot of energy.
I was called an idiot on this forum for quoting Joe Lunardi's opinion about 6 months ago, just saying LOL :wink:
Too soon? :D