Roster thoughts for the coming season

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
IStillLikeHarv

Roster thoughts for the coming season

Post by IStillLikeHarv » June 2nd, 2019, 4:23 pm

Spoiler Alert! If you're one of those who must figure out for themselves who killed Cock Robin, then stop here. Otherwise, be prepared to frequently be saying to yourself, "Just like Harv said." throughout the coming season!

:D

KSU still has a scholarship open with offers out, so obviously that could affect the final roster options for the coming season. Based on what we know right now, though, here goes.

First off, KSU is graduating three four-year starter seniors including two first team All Big 12 players, the All Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, and an Honorable Mention All Big 12 player. This team will be very different from those of the last two seasons.

KSU does return eight players including three "starters" from that team, Makol Mawien, Xavier Sneed, and Cartier Diarra. These three starters form the core around which this team will be built, so their availability is obviously a key to next season. KSU had enough talent and experience over the last two seasons to achieve some major accomplishments in spite of multiple injuries to key players both years. With the exodus of the three seniors, the depth of talent and experience is greatly reduced, so losing any of the returning starters would be a tough blow to overcome.

My starting five begins with Makol Mawien at center (duh), Xavier Sneed at the four, and Cartier Diarra as the point guard. The coaches, hampered by excess knowledge from actually seeing the players, may say otherwise -- but here is my reasoning. I am putting Xavier at the four because as far as anyone knows for sure he is the only guy on this roster ready and able to play the four right this minute. Likewise, Cartier is at the one because he is the only point guard who has actually played entire Big 12 games at the point and done well. The bottom line: start with what you know.

The next slot I will fill is Mike McGuirl starting at the two guard. He played 17 mpg last season behind a mass of talent at the 1-2-3 spots, and he has actually played some very good games for KSU (see Creighton, obviously). He is also a solid defender, so that backbone of the team would be satisfied.

The final spot is a bit more problematical, but I will assign it to Shaun Neal-Williams. Shaun averaged 7 mpg last season in spite of being buried behind three established starters, sixth starter Diarra, and Mike McGuirl at the 1-2-3 spots. I fully expect Shaun to make a big sophomore jump because he missed the summer practices last season and ended up trying to keep up with a team that was almost all returning players when he arrived in the fall. As Weber put it, he was trying to drink from a firehose. With a year of experience under his belt and a full summer at a pace he can handle, I think he will be much better prepared for the coming season. With both Shaun and Cartier starting, the debate over who is the point guard is moot in my view. Weber has often done well with as many as three point guards on the court, so label them however you like.

The Mawien, Sneed, SNW, McGuirl, Diarra starting five would be two seniors, two juniors, and a sophomore, so not too bad in the experience department. It is a small ball line-up, but with the athleticism of these five guys, I don't think many teams would be able to go over the top of them. Sneed and Diarra in particular at tough match-ups. Now for the other options.

One very nice thing about this group is the versatility of Sneed (four/three) and Diarra (three through one). Because of those two, KSU can use a player who emerges at any position with positive effects rippling throuh the line-up to help out at any weak spots. Let's begin at the four. If any combination of Stockard, Murphy, and/or Antonio Gordon can give useful minutes at the four, they can not only back up Sneed (obviously needed at least some), but also free up Sneed to move back to the three, greatly strengthening the 1-2-3 options. Having looked at their videos, I tend to think Murphy can play sooner rather than later IF he can play defense. I am keeping an open mind though for any or all of these three to contribute at the four. It would defintiely help this team.

The next issue is backing up the five. It is time for Love and Shadd to start showing what they can do. This is critical not only for this season, but Mawien will be gone next season, and recruiting a big man who is good enough to start in the Big 12 is difficult. Hopefully the KSU big men of the future will start to emerge this season. If not, something may have to be cobbled together using Stockard (who should improve, by the way) and the two freshman big men. We'll see what happens.

There are still two players available for the backcourt. I will confess a weakness for David Sloan because I really like very fast, very quick pure point guards who can score as well. The obvious caveat is that it is a big jump from JUCO play to the Big 12. That said, I think there is a chance he will be an exception on the positive side. I don't expect him to continue his average of 10 assists per game, but he may be able to provide quality minutes at the point IF he can play defense. I would not be totally shocked if he were to eventually be a starter, but that's just me.

The last guy is definitely not the least. While the skeleton of a viable team is in place, DaJuan Gordon is quite an insurance policy. I am not saying he is a magic man, but he does appear to be a darned good basketball player. Most guys who become the Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year do pretty well even as freshmen, so I expect him to at least contribute quality minutes to the backcourt group.

Well, now you know what is going to happen! Remember, you heard it here first. :oops:

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 2nd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Reports from the coaches is they are planning keeping Sneed at the three and are not wanting to play smalll. They are reportedly pretty high on Murphy and A Gordon. All of this is sure to change and my information on the coaches is third or fourth hand.

However, Murphy is the same size and also rated the same in high school as Dean Wade was. So we'll see in a few months.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » June 2nd, 2019, 5:45 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 5:27 pm
Reports from the coaches is they are planning keeping Sneed at the three and are not wanting to play smalll. They are reportedly pretty high on Murphy and A Gordon. All of this is sure to change and my information on the coaches is third or fourth hand.

However, Murphy is the same size and also rated the same in high school as Dean Wade was. So we'll see in a few months.

Yeah, I have watched a number of Murphy videos and several Antonio Gordon videos and HUDL game videos (as opposed to highlight videos covering multiple games). It is easy to get carried away with positive videos on guys like these -- no one puts out videos of the bonehead plays they make -- but I admit to being surprised at how good they look. Both are quite mobile, jump well for their size, can handle the ball surprisingly well, and shoot well from all three levels.

The keys for me will be how much the step up to high major play affects some obvious basic skills they have, and mostly how tough will it be for them to be competent within the KSU defensive system. If either or both of those guys along with Stockard can provide major quality minutes at the four, it will be a huge plus for this team because any minutes Sneed can play at the three obviously make the backcourt much stronger. But as I said, particularly with big men, I want to see it on the court. Long term they will be good, but how soon with they be Big 12 ready -- especially on defense.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » June 2nd, 2019, 8:25 pm

It would be nice if they could concentrate on defense and whatever they score would be gravy.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » June 2nd, 2019, 9:28 pm

It would be huge if Murphy could contribute big minutes at the 4. We also have Levi to play the 4, or put him at the 5 and slide Makol to the 4 at times. Sloan will likely rest Cartier and Gordon should find his minutes so we are 6 deep at guard with X. Hopefully we have 4 or 5 guys who can contribute at the 4 and 5 spots. I see Makol, X, Levi, and Murphy as likely and am hopeful that Shadd and Love can help out. Thats 11 guys plus other possible newbies who could surprise. Hopefully we end up with 9 or 10 players who are consistently in the rotation. Probably the key to our young guns breaking into the starting line-up will be there ability to play Weber D.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » June 2nd, 2019, 10:02 pm

It will be a good sign if they are able to do as they intend and keep X at the 3. With the bulk of our proven talent being smaller than X, the temptation for Weber will be to go with who he trusts and play small. If X plays mainly the 3, it means that someone reliable has stepped into the 4 spot. And if our 4 spot is good next year, I like the players we have returning and incoming in the other positions

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » June 3rd, 2019, 12:30 am

Every year I think this will be the year that we have a deep rotation. Every year I am wrong. Injuries, discipline, players who are not as good as we think they will be, etc.

Therefore, I think that that the best eight players will play a lot, barring injuries, and the others will hardly play at all. The best eight will be Xavier, Makol, Cartier, Mike, and four of the remaining players. I am guessing Dajuan and David will be two of those four. The other two players would be a guess of a guess. Maybe Levi and Montavious.

Edit on June 3 - Silly/stupid me! I totally forgot about SNW. I would expect him to be in the top eight.
Last edited by Sir Ocelot on June 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 3rd, 2019, 8:18 am

Sir Ocelot wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 12:30 am
Every year I think this will be the year that we have a deep rotation. Every year I am wrong. Injuries, discipline, players who are not as good as we think they will be, etc.

Therefore, I think that that the best eight players will play a lot, barring injuries, and the others will hardly play at all. The best eight will be Xavier, Makol, Cartier, Mike, and four of the remaining players. I am guessing Dajuan and David will be two of those four. The other two players would be a guess of a guess. Maybe Levi and Montavious.
I agree that 8 to 9 will most likely be what we end up with. Many fans are expecting SNW to really step up and be the starting point guard. I am reserving judgement but interested to hear what others think about him.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » June 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am

I don't see SNW starting barring injury to Cartier. However he should get more minutes this year. We are six deep and good at guard with Cartier, Mike, Sloan, SNW, X and Dajuan. Hopefully we can find 3 or 4 bigs to help inside. This will give us a 9 or 10 man rotation unless we play small ball. I am not optimistic that Shadd, Love and the newbies will be great but the young bigs may be talented and the older bigs should know what they are doing by now. The drop off when we go to the bench should not be as pronounced then with most of our recent teams. Just more parity.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 3rd, 2019, 10:24 am

my guess, and it's obviously only that, X plays three rather than four, just like last season.

my starting five:

sloan
carti
xavier
mawien
gordan

Why is there something rather than nothing?