Dean Wade update

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: Dean Wade update

Post by Puffdad » July 3rd, 2019, 10:59 pm

And about the only guy on his team who can guard anybody. Could be a long, long summer. And 5 assists tonight. He'll out assist any of their guards this year that I've seen so far. Terrible basketball " team wise" to watch. I hope Beilein goes ballistic soon.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » July 4th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Give Beilein time. Seems like Dean is his kind of guy, which is hardly surprising. I would presume Beilein and Weber are pretty tight; birds of a feather. That surely won't hurt Dean's chances.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » July 5th, 2019, 12:31 am

I like Beilein too but this job might drive him straight to the funny farm. I can tell you part of this crews not interested in doing things the right way. At the very least he’s got a long road ahead of him.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » July 5th, 2019, 7:15 am

IMO, summer league is not about who wins or loses. And if I was a coach, I would be interested in the skills I see and how they might fit into the real team I intend to build. Its about seeing prospects and giving them a chance to prove themselves. There are only three or four guys on Clevelands summer league team who will be on their opening roster. Time on the court is being doled out in a manner to see players rather than to win games.
The fact they have Deans contract written to have him sit out a game is just an example of the fact that winning is not important.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » July 5th, 2019, 7:50 am

ALL the guys playing in the summer league will be on either the Cavs roster or the Canton farm team. I'm looking at it from a selfish point of view for Dean for sure. He's playing with guys right now that he IS going to be playing with at least all winter. It doesn't look like a lot of fun except for a couple possible exceptions.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » July 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Enjoyed watching Beilein getting interviewed during the game today. They asked him what his most important stat was. He said comparing assists to turnovers was his number one! Couldn’t agree more. Turnovers lead to no opportunity to do anything. Good passing for scores makes you a winner. Good news for Dean.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » July 5th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Was fun to watch Barry & Dean. Dean looked really good in the first half as a playmaker. The D adjusted at halftime and dared him to get his own shot. Dean didn’t adjust and pretty much made himself irrelevant in the second half. Barry was better than I expected. He had a lot of bounce in his step and looked quick. Dean was not going to let Barry get that last short jumper off easy - those bragging rights among friends matter.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » July 5th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Was fun to watch Barry & Dean. Dean looked really good in the first half as a playmaker. The D adjusted at halftime and dared him to get his own shot. Dean didn’t adjust and pretty much made himself irrelevant in the second half. Barry was better than I expected. He had a lot of bounce in his step and looked quick. Dean was not going to let Barry get that last short jumper off easy - those bragging rights among friends matter.
I agree. Barry looked quick and strong compared to other guards on the court. Was able to get dribble penetration and get to the rim. I thought he struggled with not being able to fight through picks but I expect that was more about communication and not have enough time for the coaches to go over how they wanted pick and rolls played.

The floor is spread more in this game and that may be an advantage for Brown.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » July 5th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Was fun watching both of them and they both played well. Kind of a weak foul call on Dean guarding Barry! Lol. So much for getting by with murder in the NBA on fouls... wish Barry would have got more minutes. Dean’s leading the Cavs in minutes per game, steals, assists, and probably fouls!

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » July 6th, 2019, 1:59 pm

I've never been a fan of watching much of the Summer League because in years past when I watched for a reason, like when Wes played or Ron Baker or whoever, team ball was on the way back burner and there always seemed to be a couple of guys on each team that decided it was their show and they would play horsecrap basketball and guys like Wes would just run up and down the court and never even sniff the ball. I really figured it would be the same with Dean this summer as i knew he would play unselfish, as he has. I was actually surprised he got as many shots up in the first game as he did, but it probably helps to have Belien running the show rather than some assistant. Either way, it will be fun to continue to watch Dean's journey, especially as it gets to training camp and the regular season.

It is also pretty awesome to see that Rodney will have a huge chance to be in the spotlight come the playoffs. I read earlier from Zach Lowe that how the Clips were able to work Rod's deal actually was a huge part of them being able to make the deal to get Kawai/PG13. I know this, I would not want to be a perimeter player against the Clips next year when they decide to D up. Beverley, PG, Kawai, Rod, Shamet, all of those guys are hard nosed, killer-type defenders. Good luck scoring against that group.

I know this, the NBA is a lot more interesting considering the Cats now have some guys involved. Pretty cool.